PDA

View Full Version : Introduction and Question

Wraitheist
06-02-2008, 05:00 PM
Greetings Everyone,

I've been playing Angband for a while and decided to give ADOM a shot. I've played for about 10 minutes so far :)

Noob question: How do I rest or otherwise heal hps between fights? In Angband, there was a rest command and there were options to rest for a certain amount of time or until fully healed. Is there a similar command here? Or is recoving hitpoints handled differently?

One more...what is the best way to go about identifying stuff when first starting out?

Thanks!
~Wraitheist

PeanutGod
06-02-2008, 05:11 PM
You rest by simply standing there and pressing the '5' button. Everything else will move around you whilst you take a breather. Or, go back into the wilderness and walk around a bit.

Health will go up faster if you character has healing.

To identify things - be literate - read a scroll of identify.

Some items are always the same, and in time you'll learn what they are, but for the most part, its all random.

And welcome to the forums.:cool:

DeSt
06-02-2008, 05:15 PM
Healing proceeds naturally. You can waste time by using "walk in place" - "w5". Candle - extremely good starsing for newbies for extremely fast healing. And it combines well with any r/c combination.
'u'se first aid after every combat(and in combat, switching to Coward tactics(F7))

If you found coaligned altar(black for C, gray for N, white for L) you can just drop stuff(extended drop - ":d"), pick it up again with identified statuses and equip them for identifyind anything other than amulets and rings(gaunlets and armor could become cursed when worn but that's rare). After you find some identify scroll and holy water, just dip scroll into water and read it to identify all items.

Priests and merchants has Detect Item Status skill - very useful for beginners. Try to play some drakkish priests to explote the game.

Silfir
06-02-2008, 05:23 PM
Welcome to the best roguelike EVAR (coming from me, who hasn't really played anything else much, that's not saying much, though)

Every character has natural HP regeneration depending on race and to some extent on toughness (Elves heal slower than average, while trolls sport incredibly high regeneration rates - They get experience very slowly and consume food much faster, so I wouldn't recommend one).

You'll heal faster if you have the Healing skill to support that, though; if you don't start out with it (some classes do), it can be gotten very early if you figure out how. Hint - talk to the village elder BEFORE you talk to Guth'Alak if you want to get Healing!

If you want to wait for HP to recover after a fight, the best method is to hit "w5" (as in, first lowercase w, then 5) to "walk in one place". "Walk mode" can be used with any of the directions by pressing w first; you will then keep walking in that direction, following hallways even if they bend, stopping at crossings, items or once you see a hostile monster. If you hit w5, you spent 20 turns in one spot unless you are disturbed by a monster. There is no "rest until healed" command, I'm afraid.

The best way to go about identifying things... Well, there is a scroll of identify, which is one of the most common scrolls, so once you've gathered a respectable stack of scrolls it's pretty safe to say that the highest stack of them is probably scrolls of identify.

Until then, you can drop items on altars of your alignment (chaotic - dark grey, neutral - light grey, lawful - white) to figure out whether they are blessed, uncursed or cursed. Uncursed weapons and armor can, with rare exceptions, be safely equipped.

If you're lucky, you'll stumble across a scroll of identify in a shop. Not only could you be able to buy it, finding an item identified in a shop will enable your character to recognize this particular kind of item every time he stumbles across an example of it, including those he has carried with him all along.

This assumes that you started out literate. Some characters (non-grey or high elven barbarians and beastfighters, and all non-grey or high elven characters of a class that doesn't get Literacy with a Learning of less than 10) start out illiterate, and have to get the Literacy skill in some way before they are allowed to even read scrolls. Until you manage to do that, you'll have to get by trying out items or stumbling upon them in shops.

EDIT: DOUBLENINJA'D.

Let me add the following hint: To drop items with unknown status on an altar, hit Ctrl + d and select "Items with unknown status". Much easier.

DeSt
06-02-2008, 05:28 PM
That's not "Ctrl + d" but "extended drop - :d" as i said.

//
Well, i'm just started drakkish priest myself - holy water + 3 uncursed, spellbook of divine wrath, 2 scrolls of darkness, bracers of protection...
Lucky as always :)

Grey
06-02-2008, 05:59 PM
I will add that "w5" or any such w command will stop when you've fully healed or fully restored PP. So in that respect it does act as a wait until healed, but since the max waiting time is 20 turns it requires a few uses. You can change the max waiting time in the config file if you like.

Laukku
06-02-2008, 06:08 PM
To use commands that start either with "w" or ":", press the first part of the command first. Do not keep the button pressed, or the game will complain "unknown command:ww"/"unknown command:"::". After you have pressed w or : once, the game will wait for another key press.

So, for example: if the command is w5, press first w, let go, and THEN press 5.

I hope I made sense. :)

PS:At least in the DOS version.

Wraitheist
06-02-2008, 11:18 PM
Wow, I wasn't expecting so many quick and thorough responses...thanks! I'm sure I'll have many more questions. :)

Silfir
06-03-2008, 01:58 PM
Once again, I am ashamed of my utter stupidity, and would like to apologize.

FantomFang
06-03-2008, 04:03 PM
What was your stupidity Silfir? If its the extended drop thing, I've always used Ctrl + d... i'm confused now...

DeSt
06-03-2008, 04:08 PM
Try both and see the difference between "comfortable" and extended.

FantomFang
06-03-2008, 07:19 PM
oh, i think i see what you mean then...i don't remember which one is which, but one has you scrolling thru your inventory selecting what you want to drop and the other has you choosing [Ynq] for each individual item, right?

Molach
06-03-2008, 08:30 PM
The OP raises a question I've wondered about too, in my brief forays into Angband (well, I've won once too). There are a few things that make a lot of sense to me, time-savingly so.

First is the "rest until healed (and full of PP)". While I think one is more likely to be disturbed in ADOM than Angband (something in the monster generation code) it still cuts down some. But mabye it also cuts down on the "excitement" or "atmosphere" of repeatedly doing the w5, hoping that nothing interrupts you while healing up. However I would probably have used it to rest until sickness was removed (even if that can lead to sudden death),

Onwards, there is the 'n' key which I found useful in Angband. 'n' simply repeats last keypress-sequence. For example you first press 'Z'-'scoll down'-'s' (for say, strength of atlas), and then you can simply keep pressing 'n' to repeat that. THIS is something I would have liked in ADOM (please don't say it already is here). (e)at, scroll down, scroll down, scroll down, select morgia. Then press 'n' 7 more times makes sense to me.

Also there is the variable HP-warning. You can set it to 50% of HPs, or more, even. And not a beep either, something that erases your space- or directional-spamming would be better. That beep always freaks me out, and I often die still...

Anyway, welcome to our world.

Grey
06-03-2008, 08:31 PM
FantomFang: The ':d' command let's you choose a whole group of items to be dropped, which is extremely useful. ':d' followed by 'Y' will drop all unpaid items for instance - handy in shops. '$' is all items of unknown status, which is great on altars. And '+' is everything, without asking, which is most useful at times like crossing the frozen pirahna lake.

Molach: In ADOM Sage you can set a repeat last command, along with all sorts of macro goodies. Never really explored them myself though.