PDA

View Full Version : ADOM Guidebook?

Wraitheist
06-03-2008, 04:25 PM
I'd like to check this out, but the site that hosts it appears to be down. Any other way I can get it?

DeSt
06-03-2008, 04:33 PM
There is "improved" version of it - http://www.sweb.cz/adomgb/
More information, and more spoilers.

Soirana
06-03-2008, 04:47 PM
i would rather call that one "impaired"

gut
06-03-2008, 05:41 PM
Ha! I like that one Soirana. It even copied the mistakes, like
listing the AKW as seeing invis. It's kind of funny, not getting
that stuff right, even using code diving.

Grey
06-03-2008, 06:02 PM
Am I the only one who keeps a copy of the GB backed up for offline reading? The desperate may attain it here (http://www.geocities.com/darrenjohngrey/adomgb-html.zip), rather than resorting to DeSt's chaotic ways.

gut
06-03-2008, 06:15 PM
I got copies, going back before gamma 15! I didn't want to
post any though, it's copywrited, and I'm not sure about
what is OK and not OK.

FantomFang
06-03-2008, 06:28 PM
I always love looking at the "Improved" Guidebook's little homepage there, where he starts off by saying that it is an unauthorized copy of his guidebook. I'm surprised it's still up to be honest, it's like walking into the mall and starting to wave around someone's wallet, declaring that you stole it from so-and-so. It just makes me chuckle.

Grey
06-03-2008, 07:29 PM
Hah, I am proud to be the author of that line actually - it was after great insistence that Pavel put it in (as an attempt to assuage the raging flame war on RGRA). He rejected my request to include it on every single HTML page though :(

As for distrubuting the Guidebook, the zip file I have hosted is the exact same one available from Andy's site that any can download for themselves whenever they want. Since it has not been altered and it's author is clearly stated there is no copyright issue, as far as I can tell.

gut
06-03-2008, 07:54 PM
> He rejected my request to include it on every single HTML page though

I'm pretty sure it is on every page.

> the Guidebook, the zip file I have hosted is the exact same

Yes, I didn't think there would be any problem, I was just unsure. I know
that sometimes websites like getting as many hits as possible, and posting
an external copy might reduce hits. However, since I have seen no banners
on the guidebook site, I suppose that isn't an issue.

On a side note, I wonder why there are no adds (t)here?

Epythic
06-05-2008, 07:37 PM
> He rejected my request to include it on every single HTML page though

I'm pretty sure it is on every page.

> the Guidebook, the zip file I have hosted is the exact same

Yes, I didn't think there would be any problem, I was just unsure. I know
that sometimes websites like getting as many hits as possible, and posting
an external copy might reduce hits. However, since I have seen no banners
on the guidebook site, I suppose that isn't an issue.

On a side note, I wonder why there are no adds (t)here?

1. GB is meant for players. I'd say that implies its *meant* to be shared.
2. ADOM is free as in beer and you did it all for fun. Why adds?
3. Unlikely that anyone will sue you.
4. GB describes how ADOM works. So you could interpret GB as a derivate work of ADOM... which would not be allowed :)
5. there is no comment five
6. hadnt Grey mirrored GB *I* would have done it now.
7. I Am Not A Lawyer.

Shadow_2014
06-05-2008, 10:04 PM
I've got a random question that I can't find an answer to in the guidebook. I started a character and a two-headed calf was born the same night as I. I've seen this message before, but what does it mean?

DeSt
06-05-2008, 10:16 PM
Guidebook says:
# ...a two headed calf was born.
10% less experience points are required for an experience level increase.

gut
06-06-2008, 05:45 AM
> 2. ADOM is free as in beer and you did it all for fun. Why adds?

Money. I am no webmaster, so I have no idea of the potential
revenue possibilities. I am a forum user though, and I can say
that it wouldn't bother me in the slightest, to load up a few
small ads, if it would help with web hosting costs.

FantomFang
06-06-2008, 06:01 PM
Just an update on this: it appears you need a username and a password to log on to Andy's guidebook right now. Certainly odd. I wonder why....

SixtySixPixiStix
06-06-2008, 06:44 PM
I'd like to check this out, but the site that hosts it appears to be down. Any other way I can get it?

When a site is down that has information that you need, you can visit the WAY BACK MACHINE (http://www.archive.org/web/web.php)

Shadow_2014
06-06-2008, 08:44 PM
Another easily answered relatively n00b question:

I'm playing a level 8 Archer who finished up the Mad Carpenter quest and then hit up the Puppy Cave for a tiny bit of Lawful Boost and some levels, and I hit a pool. Took a couple sips and now I'm asked what to wish for. In the past, I always just ask for the Seven League Boots, but I'm wondering if there's anything more interesting that would be better.

Perhaps a big-ass armor piercing weapon or some hardcore armor, or maybe the Giant Strength Guantlets? I've never found Blup's mom before, should I bother wishing for Water Breathing equipment to take the plunge this early? Maybe Elemental Mastery to plunge recklessly into the Fire Tower far before I'm ready? Also, is it possible to get really specific and wish for something like, "Light Eternium Plate Mail of Speed"?

gut
06-06-2008, 09:02 PM
> what to wish for.

The 7LB's are a good wish. I think the only thing that might beat them,
would be bracers of resistance, and then only if you want to bother
smithing them to extreme levels.

> hardcore armor

Red dragon scale mails are the best choice here, as they give =fire.

> Giant Strength Guantlets?

Girdle of giant strength, and you only get one. It is useful, but not as
much for an archer as a fighter.

> Elemental Mastery

I think the best you can do here, is a ring of minor elemental mastery.
It doesn't give =fire, just -fire. For =fire, you must wish for RDSM's or
crowns of fire. The crowns are made of iron, but strangely never melt.

> Light Eternium Plate Mail of Speed"?

Unfortunately no, you can't be that specific. You can wish for the
armors (plural) and hope for the best. You might get lucky with one : )

Nezur
06-06-2008, 09:19 PM
> what to wish for.
> Giant Strength Guantlets?

Girdle of giant strength, and you only get one. It is useful, but not as
much for an archer as a fighter.

Rings of Elemental Mastery are not artifacts so I think you can wish for them. They grant both fire and cold immunity but I think they are not worth a wish since they don't grant any defensive bonuses IIRC.

gut
06-06-2008, 11:09 PM
Wow, I completely forgot about those! How long has it been
since I've seen one, I don't recall, but yes they do exist. I
don't think they are worth a wish though, and that's got to
be about the only way to get one. Maybe a marathon session
in the BDC's might yield one.

Molach
06-07-2008, 12:15 AM
I just found one when I dug up a grave in the dwarven graveyard (roman republic game, revisited).

However I also found a wand of wishing there. So that probably must have been a one-in-a-million grave.

I second the wish for red dragon scale mails. 13 PV will take you far into the mid-game. Immune to fire rarely hurts, even though the tower of fire's worst problem is NOT the fire damage but the WYRM.

Eternium tower shield is another powerful early wish. It will last the game. Mabye people don't like to wish for something they have a very good chance of finding later on....but when you're down on D:30 you probably are powerful already...but at level 8 this will surely help a lot.

Both of those items will allow you to speed through the game, making the normal late-game wish of "scrolls of chaos resistance" redundant. Because you were so fast through the game.

But then again, for an archer seven league boots are VERY useful.

But then again, they can be destroyed, something that should not happen to the armors.

Only penetrating weapon you can wish for is "phase daggers". They bypass PV, like -foo- of penetration. And they do not have as severe a name. But they do yield an annoying message everytime you attack with them. And they are very weak unless scoll-ed or smithed up. In which case they are just mediocre. So they are only good against pretty well-armored monsters. Which you should not encounter before late-mid-game.

Grey
06-07-2008, 03:19 AM
As an archer I'd say "pairs of seven league boots" trumps all. Defense isn't so important if you can keep your distance, and phase daggers will never be as good as slaying ammo. Getting them early is also an awesome way of staying inside the 90 day limit.

Silfir
06-07-2008, 03:54 PM
Get an AoLS. I don't care how awesome the other items are, you are an Archer. Archers have missile attacks powerful enough to last you until the midgame anyway, so you need to get that AoLS so you won't have to bite yourself in the ass after you've drained all the pools for another wish to save Khelly.

(Yeah, I know, gut - Screw Khelly. I'm currently looking for that damn thing in an ultra attempt, so I might be biased. Sue me.)

gut
06-07-2008, 09:59 PM
Screw Khelly? Screw ultras!

I recently did one though, just because it had been a while.
The new RRC PC is going for one, and I didn't want to do
something stupid, like kill an 'important' NPC out of habit or
something : ) They just aren't as fun for me, as a regular
win. The item gathering requirements bug me. If there were
(even really difficult) quests, that yield a guaranteed SoD
and WoMC, I would feel different.

I agree that the AoLS wish is the best one, if for nothing
more than the reading material. It's just not a 'sexy' wish.
Not every PC is guaranteed of getting to Khelly, so I think
the SLB's wish is good for 'immediate gratification'.

Shadow_2014
06-09-2008, 05:17 AM
Thanks for all the advice. I've never made it to Khelly, so I never get the amulet. Actually, I've made it to the room before, but I fled because I don't really know what those Chaos Servants are capable of. I ended up getting a couple pairs of Seven Leagues, and blessed em. Then, lo and behold, I got another wish a couple floors down and got myself three pairs of Red Dragon Armor. 2 of em were already blessed, and the extra boots and armor I hocked in the shop, in case my current ones get fried. If I somehow get another wish, I might nab an amulet and take the plunge. By the by, do you need to complete the game in 90 days for an Ultra?

Nezur
06-09-2008, 11:52 AM
By the by, do you need to complete the game in 90 days for an Ultra?

No, that's not necessary. Exceeding 90 days just means that the corruption rate in most (possibly all) corrupting game locations is doubled.

Grey
06-09-2008, 03:27 PM
Andy Williams has made the following post to RGRA regarding the Guidebook being down:

"This is due to a power surge which caused subsequent hardware problems
at the hosting company I use. They have been frustratingly slow in
addressing the problems. My domain is up for renewal in the next
couple of months so change may be coming. I'll post here as soon as I
know service is back."