PDA

View Full Version : How deep is your adom?

Flammeus
06-04-2008, 12:46 PM
Just out of interest I'd like to know just how deep have people delved in the ID.

Is there a challenge game for this?

PeanutGod
06-04-2008, 04:15 PM
Been down to ID:1392.

Got killed by a Titan. Wasn't pretty.

Molach
06-04-2008, 08:42 PM
I only been down to 350-400-ish. Even that shallow wasn't pretty.

Grey
06-05-2008, 11:58 AM
The LongDiver challenge is to see how deep you can get without using any wishes. Normally closing the gate beforehand is wise.

Elone
06-05-2008, 09:45 PM
Why without wishes? Even with all the wishes that you find on the way there, it's still hard...

Oh and the deepest I went was the bottom. With gate closed, of course.

FantomFang
06-05-2008, 09:59 PM
the bottom?? i thought it was infinite.

Soirana
06-06-2008, 02:18 AM
doesn't it flip back to ID1 at integer overflow point?

Silfir
06-06-2008, 10:36 AM
Good old writing-only Internet communication, where people have trouble recognizing obvious jokes...

Elone
06-06-2008, 09:34 PM
Thanks, Silfir. This kind of things pushes me away from various forums. Remind me to post in this forum less and less from now on.

Cuz eh, nothing will ever change here. These are The Internets.

gut
06-06-2008, 11:32 PM
It's just that the ones who DO get the joke, don't post saying
'hey, I got that'. You can put smileys on things, if you don't
want to have to post follow-up clarifications ; ) Some don't
like them, but they do cut down on having to clarify all the
time.

I seem to get the jokes pretty often, I even remember the one
(I think) you made about dipping the scroll of omnipotence in a
potion of water, to make it useful for something. Also Moloch's
'just kill the king killer bug to get the guaranteed AoLS' was good,
but confusing to some because of no smiley.

Baranor
06-07-2008, 12:13 AM
I hate you all! :):eek::cool::D

Grey
06-07-2008, 03:13 AM
Smilies are infinitely useful for conveying the mood of your remark, otherwise people can read it in so many different ways... I myself tend to be awful at picking up written scarcasm and jokes, but I mostly attribute that to dumbness.

FantomFang
06-07-2008, 03:56 AM
You? Dumb? Don't be so modest =p

But yeah, that reminds me of a friend i have. He can speak in the most serious of tones, while being utterly sarcastic and silly, and you never know if he's serious or not. It can be a bit tiresome after a while, ya know? =)

Oh yea, and that's why I use so much of the emoticons (<-- better than saying smileys i say!). Because I am a very sarcastic person, and it's hard to translate that to writing without them. At least, not without writing a freaking book and ruining the point.

Elone
06-07-2008, 07:49 AM
I was not trying to be tiresome. I like emotes (those who know me on MSN will know it). However, I'm of belief that putting an emoticon will kill the intended sarcasm. Sarcasm is there to be figured out. My one and only regret is that I confuse newbies. And on the opposite side is someone like Gut, who knows all about ADOM and hence always knows what I meant. Oh, I found that part.

When I found the Scroll of Omnipotence (shimmering scroll when unidentified), I didnt know what to do with it and yeah. I got rid of it. The only use I could find for it was to dip it into potion of water to make a blank scroll and inscribe something USEFUL on it (like a scroll of familiar summoning) but it didnt get erased - what a waste of potion of water.

"Everyone knows about that damned scroll", I assumed. Or this.

Find a lot of stacked rings. Find the Spear of Raw Steel and dip some potions into it. You'll get Potions of Raw Chaos. Dip your stack of rings into it and it will hopefully create Rings of Djinni Summoning. Do NOT use blessed potions of exchange. All items you dip into them, will be exchanged and cursed. And wands of wishing, spellbooks of Wish, and RoDS can never be generated this way.

This was a very obvious reference to two commonly known features. The fact that SoRS has the Essence of Corruption (but doesnt exist in game); and dipping items into PoE vs PoRC, just inverted).
Or even this.

I've read fortune which says more details about Red Rooster Inn, and powerful red weapons that are hidden there. They dont know that I already looted the Inn in JADE prequel!

Seriously...

Appologies to all newbies, I guess. Other players should know that it's about. I'm following the little rule which says that SOME truth should always be involved, or else all these lines would be uninteresting, and would sound bland and random (giving examples of random items giving random effects in random occasions would give such a bland effect). But that way, some unaware people get confused more easily. This is a big and interesting topic, but I'll stop here.

And yeah, I also think that Grey is being modest. I wonder what's on his mind... But sadly I can only read my own. But hey, I can read (my) mind!

Soirana
06-07-2008, 10:18 AM
commonly known features. The fact that SoRS has the Essence of Corruption (but doesnt exist in game); and dipping items into PoE vs PoRC, just inverted).

PoRC do not provide RoDS. it is also sort of known thing.

Silfir
06-07-2008, 03:58 PM
Which was kind of the point of what Elone was doing, Soirana :) She mixed them up on purpose.

Elone
06-07-2008, 04:12 PM
*sigh* There's no use. No matter how obvious I make it (notice the "just inverted" part, which Soirana even quoted, but ignored!), people will still keep doing this to me (and others). Like on most other sites, some of them are just trying their hardest to "win" the forums, by proving everyone else wrong. Thanks for enlightenment in your last post, Soirana; I'd never figure it without you. (sarcasmcough)

Soirana
06-07-2008, 06:08 PM
well, your post even had written that RoDS cannot be obtained via raw chaos:D

Sorry for teasing you, but i was just looking how long you will take my posts seriously while whining that everyone takes your posts seriously.:p

Sorry again if that hurted you. Net is just not for irony and sarcasm.

gut
06-07-2008, 09:47 PM
This is kind of like me vs. Grey... but duller : )

Silfir
06-07-2008, 11:40 PM
I'm waiting for the "I was only sarcastic to check whether you'd notice that I'd noticed you noticed I was sarcastic" post. :)

And don't flatter yourself, gut. It's getting mighty old, watching you two blather about instead of finally duking it out mano-a-mano and posting a video of it on youtube.

Elone
06-09-2008, 06:38 AM
Heh, Silfir. I giggled at both of your comments.
About Grey and Gut though...
Bah, I'll never understand men...

Nezur
06-22-2008, 01:16 PM
It may be a good idea to indicate sarcasm with sarcasm marks (http://www.answers.com/topic/sarcasm-mark) since written communication lacks intonation. Something like a "+" at both ends of a sarcastic paragraph might be enough.

Sarcasm marks are commonly used in Ethiopic languages in the form of an inverted exclamation point.

EDIT: The deepest I've got in the ID is probably the level 28 that I achieved in the League of Earth. I haven't tried to dive deep since it feels a bit boring.

Silfir
06-22-2008, 04:23 PM
Sorry, no. That's like doing that ridiculous " " gesture. It looks idiotic. If you're going to make your sarcasm that obvious, you might just as well say what you really mean instead.

Elone
06-23-2008, 09:02 PM
Well I wanted to say what Silfir said, but he said it nicely enough. May as well use this chance to farm a post.

(no, really, if you have to explain the sarcasm... then that's just not it)

P.S. Sarcasm marks are "really good things".
(sarcasm bolded, skewed, underlined, coloured, and quoted; to help certain readers understand)

Nezur
06-23-2008, 09:37 PM
It's true though that sarcasm is much more obvious in verbal face-to-face communication than at a forum. That's why some like to use sarcasm marks.

Elone
07-08-2008, 03:43 PM
Well, I heard a crazy claim. It'd be a shame not to revive this forgotten and stray topic. Anyway, a friend of mine (who I know in person) says that he dove to 4400+ in ID after closing the gate. Ridiculous. He says that virtually all drops are of very high quality (eternium, SoCR, SoDjS) and that monsters are mainly balors, titans, molochs, wyrms now. He said that he kept finding so many wishes that he needs no cheating to survive on those levels. I just wonder if, once I get there, he will just say that he "lost the savefile", but it would be cool to see if it exists. One thing bugs me. He mentioned that his savefile was 25MB, and we all know that it will never go over 1-3mb in normal circumstances. Thing is, size doesnt increase at all while you explore ID, so, where did that extra size come from? Carried items, I'd say... But who could carry that many items, then? I'll add that, when items STACK, they take up no extra room. 1000 stacking rings takes the same memory as 9999 stacking rings. Will go see him later if I manage to snap out of my lazy mood.

Shadow_2014
07-08-2008, 08:15 PM
From what he said about save file size and, kinda sounds like BS. But you never know. If he's got Strength of Atlas, Girdle of Giant Str, Ironfist, and walks around Strained!, he could have a pretty big file.

Silfir
07-08-2008, 08:39 PM
He probably has explored every single level available before he entered the ID too.

LFk
07-08-2008, 09:08 PM
25 MB seems a little outrageous.

The biggest savefile i've obtained was a hair over 3MB, and I dont... think.. he missed any game locations, save for the SIL.

Maybe there's something about being truly deep in the ID that is actually recorded? My understanding of this is poor.

The scenario he described seems a bit weird though. To my understanding, as Danger Level increases, higher difficulty monsters *do* show up more frequently (the titans, balors, molochs, etc.). However, it doesn't exclude low DL monsters from appearing: he would just see extremely experienced kobolds, rats, jackals, and the like.

It wouldn't be "mainly" the higher type monsters. Having never been deeper than I:66, however, i don't know if the mechanism changes as the levels get deeper.

Let us know if you find out! :) Personally, diving to that kind of level seems horrifically boring, but i'm very curious.

Oh and about the sarcasm discussion. Sarcasm works very, very poorly online and I don't think anyone should be too fussed or do the *shakes head* thing if someone takes the comment seriously by accident.

For example:
F: (makes general reference to Harry Potter)
A: (does annoying rolls eyes smiley)
A: Wait, Harry Potter? What's that?
F: haha.
A: .... no really. What's that.

Now what happened here? I made a mistake. I assumed everyone in the civilized world at least knew that Harry Potter is about "some wizard kid", even without having touched the books. I maintain that this is a fair assumption. What i forgot was that my ex-girlfriend is an idiot, and gave her the benefit of the doubt, thinking she was just being sarcastic.

This naturally led into a "why would you assume i knew that, you assume too many things" discussion. The fact of the matter is, had i taken it seriously and she DID know the fact in question, that would've sparked a "why do you always think im stupid" discussion. I was stuck in a lose-lose here.

f you cannot hear the person's tone of voice and read body language, the sarcasm is often missed and leads to a "I was just being sarcastic, jeez". So yeah, no "sarcasm sign" necessary, but lighten up on the guy/gal who didn't get it.

Ars
07-08-2008, 09:26 PM
With a necromancer of a long-lived race with good enough toughness boost, and the gate closed, it should be completely foolproof to go deep - though boredom would set in even more rapidly then.

Elone
07-09-2008, 10:32 PM
You've read that topic about immortal necromancer and are hyped about it, as far as I can gather. Right?

baby-eater
07-10-2008, 02:52 AM
Guess where said "immortal necromancer" is right this moment.

Elone
07-10-2008, 07:23 AM
I dont know. ID? Make a backup before going down, cuz the deeper you go, the less patience you'll have to send him out later.

baby-eater
07-10-2008, 11:59 PM
Already did, love, and one at the SIL, just in case.