PDA

View Full Version : Drinking (or not) ?

UnknownSoldier
06-04-2008, 04:14 PM
When I have a new character, I usually go through the SMC and down the UD. Regularly, I find some pool.
The big question :
With a character that is less than 10th level, is it worth it to empty the pool ? Or is it better to wait until you really need that Aols.

As you generally don't have any intrisic, you can only gain some.

On the other hands, pool drinking can kill you if the rng doesn't like you...

PeanutGod
06-04-2008, 04:17 PM
For me, its not so much a matter of what level I am, but rather, how my character is doing and whether I'm willing to take any major risks with him at that point. If my character is rocking, chances are that I will leave the pool alone/ If my character is mediocre, I'll chance it, just in case something happens that might rejuvenate the game as it were.

kapsi
06-04-2008, 05:39 PM
I think it's best to wait until you have a way of removing eventual dooming and teleportisis. They're the worst (and a water elemental) that can came from drinking a pool.

reich
06-04-2008, 05:47 PM
I think it's best to wait until you have a way of removing eventual dooming and teleportisis. They're the worst (and a water elemental) that can came from drinking a pool.

and unnatural aging is bad for orcs and trolls, it can even kill them. It also sucks to lose teleport control if you have it.

Nezur
06-04-2008, 05:47 PM

I agree. I also hate early intrinsic invisibility because it prevents you from fighting in the arena later.

Timpak
06-04-2008, 06:12 PM
I'd rather drink the pool and risk char getting fubared at lvl 10 than at lvl 18.

Molach
06-04-2008, 08:42 PM
And here I was thinking that this was (yet) another post about the joys of playing ADOM when drunk.

I wait. Unlike real life, that pool Ain't going away.

On the other hand, I've been known to do "just one sip" when I find one at Clevel 4.

kapsi
06-04-2008, 10:32 PM
and unnatural aging is bad for orcs and trolls, it can even kill them. It also sucks to lose teleport control if you have it.
Oh yeah, I meant that. Have a blink dog corpse or an item for teleport control. Never had trouble with aging from pools though.

UnknownSoldier
06-05-2008, 07:17 AM
I had some trouble with aging : a 17th level orc barbarian trying to get a Aols died of aging while drinking pools in darkforge.
Needless to say I wasn't happy.

I would prefer having it happen when I didn't have so much invested in the char.

Otherwise, I see teleportitis more as an oportunity than real trouble, especially if you can manage to get tele control. Wich isn't so hard to get...