PDA

View Full Version : Hopeless situation?

meh
06-05-2008, 02:47 PM
YASD posts are often followed by replies regarding what the player should have done. Sometimes these contain great advice, other times they almost seem insulting.

I thought it might be fun to put people to the test and create a thread where we can share desperate looking situations. Let's see if anyone can actually save the characters.

Here is a low level dark elf assassin of mine. Despite having weak stats, she's made a decent enough start. She's not in immediate danger of dying, but has become stuck on the wrong side of a river. Can anyone guide her out of there?

DeSt
06-05-2008, 02:53 PM
Made that easily...
->
->
->
Pray
->
->
Done.

Timpak
06-05-2008, 03:21 PM
Get swimming by giving blup carrot juice.

Grey
06-05-2008, 03:53 PM
DeSt's method works perfectly fine - did it with only 1 scroll getting drenched. If you stayed on that side killing monsters then at the next level you'd have enough HP to maybe move 4 squares at once, which would get you to that little island with a ) on it near the bottom, where you could rest until you have the HP to make the final square.

meh
06-05-2008, 04:03 PM
D'oh! I have a horrible habit of overlooking divine interventions. This is far from the only time it's caused the death of my character. I wandered around hoping for a wererat or something in order to level up. No such luck, so I just had to run for the little island once I ran out of food.

gut
06-05-2008, 04:39 PM
I tried to do it without praying, but I don't think there is a way.
I discovered the girdle took away the burdened status, but
that didn't seem to help much. I aimed for the small island,
with the weapon on it. It was only four steps away, so I could
recover HP's there, but I couldn't make it without divine help.

Baranor
06-05-2008, 07:39 PM
You can do it without praying, but it is dumb luck. I did it 10 times and was only able to get to the little island once and that was because the RNG rolled low 4 times in a row. You appear to lose 7-11 points per step. With a max of 33 life to lose, the RNG has to roll an average of 8.25 which is extraordinarily low for that spread. You can also wander around on the left hand side until you go up a level, but that risks generation of a breeder on the right making it impossible to cross.

ular
06-05-2008, 10:23 PM
You can also go down to the corridor below. That's crossing 4 water squares (instead of 5). It worked for me 2 out of 3 times.

By the way... what version is that save file? It uses 'regular' instead of 'uncursed'

FantomFang
06-05-2008, 10:56 PM
It just means he changed "uncursed" to "regular" in the configuration file. Is this ADOM sage, because that's where i recall them having that specific option.

Elone
06-06-2008, 12:40 AM
Regular ADOM had it too. You can change Blessed and Cursed too, but it's an advanced and secret topic that little people know about. There is one guy who died, who knew about it. I'd tell you more but I would have to kill you all while you sleep.

Mine are:
Blessed = Nice
Uncursed = Good
Cursed = Bad

FantomFang
06-06-2008, 12:44 AM
Well, I know about that too, but I didn't feel it was important to the topic at hand =p