PDA

View Full Version : Altar and The Ancient Chaos Wyrm

UnknownSoldier
06-06-2008, 07:44 AM
I went up to the third level of the TOEF and had the luck (I think) of finding an chaotic altar (not the one the ACW is standing on). I converted it to Lawful.

Can I use it to sacrifice the ACW ? Will I be able to lead the ACW on it ? may be with the use of doors ?

I have a orc barbarian and I'm not to keen on going toe to toe with the ACW (even though I have vanquisher)

Laukku
06-06-2008, 07:56 AM
Nope, you can't. Orb guardians are unsacrificable.

Silfir
06-06-2008, 10:46 AM
UnknownSoldier... You are an orcish barbarian - with Vanquisher, to boot - and you are planning on *chickening out*?! Do you have no Honour? Besides, with all the times he's going to shock attack you while following you, it's hardly worthwhile to lure him anywhere.

UnknownSoldier
06-06-2008, 11:12 AM
It's the first time a get this far with a melee char. I usually die before. I already killed the wyrm with spellcaster, but as meleer...

Molach
06-06-2008, 11:47 AM
It is easy. Have decent DV/PV. Make a zig-zag into the temple, so you do not have to approach him in a straight line and open yourself up to energy-ray attack. Or just make sure some eediot monsters are in the way. Get close and personal. Vanquish him in thy glory. Amen.

You should have a stack of good healing potions from one of the dwarf quests, this is the time to use them. Or the water orb. Wear elemental gauntlets when using it, I think it is something like 3-4 full heals for 1 corruption - sure as heck beats dying.

UnknownSoldier
06-06-2008, 12:03 PM
got him, there was a close call that made me use a potion of ultra healing but I killed him in the end.

Vanquisher is better than I thought...

I also have a barbed adamatium sword of penetration : will it still be useful compared to vanquisher ? with something that has really high DV ?

Silfir
06-06-2008, 12:09 PM
PV. And yes. That sword is awesome. But the stronger you are, the less of an issue is PV with Vanquisher. Don't forget - The slaying power means you ALWAYS have double damage, so the damage-increasing talents essentially have double the effect with Vanquisher. This also means you MUST get the Basher talents, lest I ridicule you for all eternity.

UnknownSoldier
06-06-2008, 12:26 PM
I already have the basher talent (up to +3, I think)
I the doubling of damage for slaying is applied before PV reduction or after ?

DeSt
06-06-2008, 01:07 PM
Before. And doubling from slaying/criticals stacks with themendous blow.

Silfir
06-06-2008, 01:20 PM
Which essentially means that slaying only deals double damage against opponents with 0 PV. Depending on the amount of PV and damage involved, the increase offered by slaying is likely to be even more substantial.