PDA

View Full Version : I think we needs a spambot protecshun.

spectre
03-09-2008, 05:59 PM
It is only a matter of time, as seen here, before we get a few buggers in, if the registration is not protected somehow.

To the admin - from my forum experience, the best two ways to protect a forum from these are as follows:
Add a register account feature for the admin. Ask the peple registeing to fill in as many parts of the form, to prove they are human. unfortunately, it means additional work for the admin, but is amost 100% proof.

Another is to add a tricky question to the registration form, for example a checked checkbox stating: I am a spambot (dear User, if you are not and wish to register, uncheck this before continuing)
This one is way better, and requires no admin attention.

(Problably you know about these things already, and I am simply overreactig... still.)

Laukku
03-09-2008, 06:20 PM
I think it's only good that we make up things to make the forums better. Your suggestions were IMHO good.

Also the distortion-thingy could be made more distorted. Flipping it upside down, perhaps?:confused:

Grey
03-09-2008, 06:23 PM
Since this has been said already I think it's about time one of us put it as an actual website development request...

spectre
03-09-2008, 06:27 PM
Also the distortion-thingy could be made more distorted. Flipping it upside down, perhaps?:confused:

Please don't (-: Being colorblind I already find some of these hard to make out. On the other hand I already registered so what the... :D

Also, from my experience, the via e-mail account activation by the user has proven not to work on some of the bots, unfortunately.

Alucard
03-10-2008, 06:10 AM
What has worked for me is twofold:

1) e-mail verification
2) a nonstandard question on the registration form: "Are you human?" or similar.

sgeos
03-11-2008, 04:28 AM
2) a nonstandard question on the registration form: "Are you human?" or similar.
Agree. A few simple multiple choice questions do wonders.
"What is the Earth? A) a planet, B) a square, C) maybe, D) all of the above"
"What is ADOM? A) bean dip, B) yes, C) a game, D) all of the above"
"What is 2 + 2? A) no, B) a search engine, C) 4, D) all of the above"

-Brendan

Grey
03-11-2008, 04:33 AM
An ADOM-related question would be nice, like "What is the opposite of order?" (chaos or evil would be acceptable answers) Wouldn't want it to be obscure for new players though...

adom-admin
03-11-2008, 05:59 AM

-Brendan

Do you know of any simple extension for vBulletin that does the trick? The bots really annoy me by now...

sgeos
03-11-2008, 06:18 AM
Do you know of any simple extension for vBulletin that does the trick? The bots really annoy me by now...
Hang on, I'll see what the admin on another forum uses...

-Brendan

Grey
03-11-2008, 06:21 AM

There's a detailed description here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=205214

Should work fine since you're running v 3.6.8. The question and answer can be set to whatever you like.

Test123
03-14-2008, 07:32 AM
There's a detailed description here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=205214

Should work fine since you're running v 3.6.8. The question and answer can be set to whatever you like.

Thanks for the pointer. I have added this extra thing and now hopefully spambots will rot in hell...

Grey
03-14-2008, 08:26 AM
Thanks for the pointer. I have added this extra thing and now hopefully spambots will rot in hell...

Without fireproof blankets, so all their blessed stomafillia burns away, bwaha...

The site does say it's not foolproof though, since they still have humans going through the steps. But it deters the vast majority of them, especially if the question requires more than a moment's thought. ...Just checked out the new question in place - nice :)

explodes
04-07-2008, 09:44 AM

-Brendan
lmao, that made me laugh...