PDA

View Full Version : I'm sick!

Choukou
06-09-2008, 12:55 PM
My level 9 Female High Elf Wizard is Sick, and I have no idea how to get better. I've tried praying, but apparently she's quite a nuisance. I'm quite new to ADOM, so I don't quite yet know all the ins and outs.

Cheers.

Molach
06-09-2008, 01:03 PM
It can be cured magically, with herbs, or just by waiting it out. A paladin would be able to use his special power to cure it.

Bad effects are (as you probably noted) reduced stats, HPs stuck at half of your max, that you can no longer use speed-walking or speed-resting, and that you may suffer a "last fever strike" which causes (sometimes fatal) damage.

You could wait it out in the wilderness, time passes quickly there.

Choukou
06-09-2008, 01:19 PM
Cheers. I waited it out, now it's gone and thankfully there was no fatal damage! I'm having trouble with food and hunger in general, do you have any tips? Other than just stock up on food! I can't carry much from the store in Terinyo (or however it's spelt), cause it's so damn heavy, and it was a corpse from a dungeon that made me ill, so that's left a bit of a bitter taste in the mouth!

Grey
06-09-2008, 02:22 PM
You'll have to learn which corpses are good and bad to eat. I'm guessing it was some sort of kobold that made you sick... Most other corpses are okay to eat. In particular giant rats, goblins and orcs tend to be plentiful. If your strength is low then carrying about lots of rations to make you Strained will help improve it over time, allowing you to carry more. Of course you also get more hungry when strained...

Later on you can find lightweight food from ratling traders in the arena (cooked lizards are the best) and stomafillia herbs.

Choukou
06-09-2008, 03:13 PM
I think it was a kobold actually. I was starving and needed to get back to the surface to get some food, I didn't care wtf it was I was eating xD

I'm ususally strained because I'm carrying around a shizzload of rations and I noticed earlier today a message saying 'Your items seem to weigh less' or something along those lines and sure enough, they did. That must be the reason. After I wasn't strained anymore, I noticed it took more time for me to become hungry again, and I pieced it together that it was because I wasn't strained anymore. So to have it clarified is great! Hopefully this'll lead to some better hunger management.

gut
06-09-2008, 03:56 PM
A high elven wizard will not have the 'food preservation' skill.
If food is a big problem for you, I would advise choosing a
race/class combo that starts with 'food preservation'. It can
drastically increase the number of generated corpses.
For your current PC, you can stairhop in the ID for a while.

Silfir
06-09-2008, 04:24 PM
If you want to have an emergency source of sickness healing available, choose the Yrrigs quest so Jharod is generated.

glahf
11-21-2009, 06:07 AM
Grey, doesn't strength go down from being strained? I thought only burdened trained.

Dudley
11-21-2009, 06:43 AM
No. Strained help. Strained! is even better.

EpicMan
11-23-2009, 06:19 PM
Being Strained! or overburdened can reduce your dexterity over time.

Dudley
11-23-2009, 06:24 PM
but dex is trainable with mareilon. Your argument is valid if dex >26.

JellySlayer
11-23-2009, 06:25 PM
Being Strained! or overburdened can reduce your dexterity over time.

Only Overburdened reduces dexterity over time; Strained! has no effect on dexterity. It does mean that you fall down stairs all the time, and need ~3x as much food as normal though.

fazisi
11-23-2009, 09:33 PM
Only Overburdened abuses the Dx stat.