PDA

View Full Version : Tomes and guidance

Choukou
06-09-2008, 04:13 PM
Is there a shop somewhere that sells tomes? I've forgotten my primary spell and the spellbook was drenched when i was forced to swim in the puppy cave. I had two of them but threw the other one away to make space for food cause I didn't think I'd need two! Gah! I got back to town afterwards and noticed it still lying there, so I dashed to get it only to have it dissapear right in front of my face...fate is a cruel mistress.

Also, I've got the quest to destroy the crime lord in the outlaw settlement. I tried it once but got completely annihilated. I savescummed before this though luckily. Are there any other quests I can do before this so I can get my stats up a little? Or maybe just a dungeon I can visit/revist?

Cheers.

Baranor
06-09-2008, 04:26 PM
The set shops in the game do not have guaranteed tomes. They may sell tomes, but only rarely are they the super good variety. Generally the best way I have found of finding tomes is to play a character who gets them easily (wizards, druids, etc.). These characters will find lots of them just wandering around the dungeons. Killing Hotzenplotz ends up being a bit anticlimactic in the game. It gives you a small lawful boost, but by the time you are able to do it without trouble you really don't need it. I tend to like to do it from afar with ranged attacks or bolt spells. He's pretty good in melee. My thought would be for you to go train in the infinite dungeon until later.

Silfir
06-09-2008, 04:48 PM
You had two spellbooks of an offensive spell, and you actually threw one away?

Note that reading a spellbook several times will increase spell knowledge, the number first for each spell entry that goes down every time you cast a spell and that will dictate how quickly you will forget the spell! How much spell knowledge is gained reading is mainly dependant on your Learning (probably also to Literacy, Concentration and class; wizards are the best bookreading class, have 100 Literacy anyway and get to 100 Concentration very quickly). For optimal weight management, read spellbooks of spells that you know you won't cast often, like Light or Knock, until they disappear. If your Learning is high enough, *at least* 18, you can afford reading bolt spellbooks until they disappear - usually that gives enough spell knowledge to last you until you find more spellbooks. If you start out with a ball spellbook (Like Lightning Ball, Ice Ball and so on), read them ONCE to cast them in an emergency - if at all - and otherwise keep them for later, as they are rare and valuable and give pitiful spell knowledge if read early on.

Before you throw away a spellbook, READ it, especially if it's an offensive spell. At the very least, reading spellbooks trains Learning (inconsistently, though).

The crime lord is actually not that hard to defeat - if you remember to NEVER EVER let him go into melee. Be unburdened and neither satiated nor bloated, and get speed talents so you'll be able to outrun him, casting bolt spells at him while on the run. He'll not be able to withstand wizard artillery for long.

For training and solving your spellbook problem (spellbook shops CAN be generated, but they are nowhere near guaranteed), I recommend you visit the Infinite Dungeon to the south of the eastern part of the Drakalor Chain - it will read as ancient stairs or something, and the dungeon levels will be named "I:X" and every level will yield the message "These dungeons seem to be endless." or something. The dungeon levels in the Infinite Dungeon will be randomly regenerated everytime you enter them, complete with monsters and potential loot, and can be used for "infinite" pumping. Just do repeated incarnations of the "safe" upper levels and resist the temptation to go too deep - monsters will increase in power the deeper you go.

Maul
06-09-2008, 07:49 PM
so I dashed to get it only to have it dissapear right in front of my face...fate is a cruel mistress.

KILL HIM!!! *berserks*

Shadow_2014
06-12-2008, 08:46 PM
Also, I've got the quest to destroy the crime lord in the outlaw settlement. I tried it once but got completely annihilated.

Very first thing I do with any magic-using character (or decent missile user) is go to the Outlaw Town, stand 4 or 5 paces from the open door of Hotzenplotz and wait until he and his bouncers are in a row. Then, I hit them with my bolt of whatever, move down and left to the edge of the town, and keep casting at him until he's either dead or two spaces from me, then I flee the town, wait til my PP is restored, and re-enter. By that point, I can easily afford the last bolt or two needed to fry he and his Bouncers. It consistently gets my character to level 6, giving me my first class specialization. Usually I kill an Outlaw or Cutpurse first, though, for my first kill. I've only been killed by him once, and that's because he moved two squares in one move, so I was unable to flee town.

Silfir
06-12-2008, 10:08 PM
Doesn't killing Hotzenplotz too early make you unable to receive an amulet of order from Yrrigs?

FantomFang
06-12-2008, 10:33 PM
One word: Yrrigs??? Why would you get one from him?

meh
06-12-2008, 10:37 PM
I think you get the amulet regardless of whether you've received the quest or not.

My favourite way to kill Hotzenplotz is with mindcraft. All you need is the right key. You can then lock him and his guards in their own house and safely mind blast through the walls.

Shadow_2014
06-12-2008, 11:19 PM
I don't think Yriggs hooks you up with an Amulet of Order. I always get mine from the Sheriff. Just bring him to the Outlaw Town when you're Lawful, and thar you be. Half the time it's blessed, too. Plus, come to think of it, I think the reward for killing Hotzenplotz is an Amulet of Order. So, there's two right there.

FantomFang
06-12-2008, 11:21 PM
Yea, that's how I always get my Amulet of Order. I either bolt him at early levels for the exp and the amulet, or I wait until I'm stronger to use missile weapons, because they have pretty good PV. I had totally forgotten about the other way to get one.

gut
06-13-2008, 01:57 AM
> Doesn't killing Hotzenplotz too early make you unable to
> receive an amulet of order from Yrrigs

If by:
"receive an amulet of order from Yrrigs"

you mean:
"recieve the healing skill from Frankenstien"

then yes. Killing Hotz early, means that you HAVE to obtain
the healing skill in the way of law. It's a bit inconvenient for
chaotics, and the skill doesn't start as high, but I feel the
early gold makes up for it.

Evil Knievel
06-13-2008, 03:07 AM
@Silfir
; )

reminds me of elone

Silfir
06-13-2008, 11:11 AM

That was the most fucking stupid mistake ever.

I meant Tywat. And if you indeed get the amulet no matter what and not getting the quest first does not mean any disadvantage, sure enough - kill the bastard.

Elone
06-21-2008, 02:22 AM
A) Blasphemy. I do those on purpose, not by mistake.
B) Rawr.
C) I'll always rather help newbies than confuse them. They are what advanced players are made of. (And they wont get most in-jokes.)
D) Level a bit (just play and you'll get there), you will have the HP you need. Quest CAN wait. That small boost will help you in late game when you most need it. Amulets of order can be gotten in other ways, as said.
E) <3 Silfir

Alavir
06-21-2008, 02:47 PM
Ye, when i play wizards or necromancers i usually start by getting the speed talent and go kill Hotzenplotz and the doctor early on. Quick start, level 8 or so and 3k or so of gold. :D