PDA

View Full Version : groups of monsters

reich
06-10-2008, 01:20 PM
This happens once in a while on deeper dungeon levels. A large group of high level monsters in a room, all the same type. I just met trollish berserkers, there was 36. Can also be chaos warriors, ratling warlords etc. But it's not a tension room - no tension message, no closed trapped door, no walls crumbling. Just a group of nasty monster in the usual dungeon enviroment. Do you know if it's a feature? Where, when and why they are generated?

DeSt
06-10-2008, 01:32 PM
threatening rooms ->

DL>7
1/8 chance to be generated
"You feel threatened." message

Grey
06-10-2008, 03:16 PM
They can be any sort of monster that'll fit in with the danger level (sometimes higher). Sometimes very nasty indeed. Can even appear in cavern levels, which can be a giant nuisance. Summoners and breeders are the worst...

Silfir
06-10-2008, 04:32 PM
... Closely followed by vortices.

Maul
06-10-2008, 07:57 PM
And invisible stalkers if you have see invis. "Hmm... why isn't my character going? And should I have switched to Cowa- *dies*"

Happened recently in League of Water, for example, with rat duelists. Was a real mess there for me. Stat drainers are also a pain if you can't bolt them away.

Elone
06-10-2008, 11:06 PM
I will add that, pretty often, the "You feel threatened" messagy will not be generated even if the threatening room is there. Anyone who explored ID often enough could notice it eventually. And a tip for newbies: this information is displayed only once, when you first enter the room, and then never again.

Evil Knievel
06-11-2008, 01:27 AM
Had one of those recently in the Tower of Flames... full of frost giants! Of course, I did not bring a single wand of fire...

reich
06-11-2008, 10:34 AM
I will add that, pretty often, the "You feel threatened" messagy will not be generated even if the threatening room is there.

This is Perception-dependent maybe? I also did not get the message this time.

Those threatening rooms are probably quite a new addition, the Guidebook doesn't mention them and I can't recall them being around forever.

Silfir
06-11-2008, 11:06 AM
The guidebook does mention them once, but it doesn't elaborate. Threatening rooms are pretty mysterious.

You know, I distinctly remember getting threatening rooms often and thinking "Wow, I must be pretty dumb to keep missing the message"... Now I know that while I am still dumb, this is not the problem. :)

Grey
06-11-2008, 11:13 AM
It's extremely rare to see the "You feel threatened" msesage in fact. As for it being a recent addition, yeah it definitely didn't exist prior to 1.0.0.

Maul
06-11-2008, 11:13 AM
This is Perception-dependent maybe? I also did not get the message this time.

Those threatening rooms are probably quite a new addition, the Guidebook doesn't mention them and I can't recall them being around forever.

Hardly. It's a feeling, you don't 'notice' it. Unless threatened rooms are signaled by a writing on the wall that says "You feel threatened".

Timpak
06-11-2008, 12:14 PM
They can be any sort of monster that'll fit in with the danger level (sometimes higher). Sometimes very nasty indeed. Can even appear in cavern levels, which can be a giant nuisance. Summoners and breeders are the worst...

This is a real killer, I once had 35+ greater titans generated in bdc. The worst was when I was trying to clear a greater undead vault and something opened a threat room with ~20 karmic wyrms.

Grey
06-11-2008, 12:19 PM
I remember someone posting a screenshot of a threat room of emperor liches on D50 once - needless to say he ignored them and just cleared the normal gate enemies.

Maul
06-11-2008, 02:52 PM
Oh yes, now I remember what got me as nasty.

Karmic baby dragons on some relatively low D level. They blocked my way and I was a melee character, so doomed I was.

Silfir
06-11-2008, 03:15 PM
You COULD have turned tail and looked for some teleportation method, probably...

Maul
06-11-2008, 06:38 PM
Maybe, but that character wasn't worth that much IMO.
http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/6985/happycat13505fv6.gif

Kato
06-13-2008, 04:22 PM
This...really isn't the BEST place to ask this, but I'm going too. I just cleared a room of Lightning Lizards. One of them dropped a corpse! So I blessed it and ate it. I've looked everywhere, but I can't find anything that tells the difference between when you get shock resistance or shock immunity. Anyone have any ideas? I don't have a Revelation or anything like that to cast to find out right now either. The message I got was: "Shocking Taste". ehehehe

Silfir
06-13-2008, 05:16 PM
No way to know except casting Revelation, drinking a potion of insight, or finding some lightning enemy and checking whether you take lower damage or no damage at all.

reich
06-13-2008, 05:29 PM
I thought the resistances from corpses are guaranteed?:confused:

gut
06-13-2008, 07:44 PM
I think the message you get for immunity might be
'you feel ecstatic'. Not sure about that though.

Kato
06-13-2008, 08:07 PM
Well...it's not the message I got. The Dwarven Mystic shoved 7 blessed potions of insight in to my backpack. :D I found out that I am only shock resistant.

DeSt
06-15-2008, 05:58 PM
One with greater titans at DL:2.
HE Archer going to ULE, 100+ arrows of slaying. Looks like easy xp.

Almost 1000000 xp for the first one.