PDA

View Full Version : On the subject of wishing...

ChaosMuffin
06-15-2008, 10:00 AM
I started a random, got gnome thief under the raven, and he's gonna be a winner.
found a djinnring before khelly, and in the topside graveyard i found a wandofwishing with 5! five! charges (plus the bonus one for determination) and another WoW one with 3 (or 4) charges.

Thats the most wishes ive had baring the 19ring trick.

Find weakness, dodge (which i think thieves should have any way), archery, upped couple of stats, spare AoL's, girdle of Gigatic Muscles...

So i got a couple spare, its nice.

also two surges of power (soaker and fine leather armour) and a precrown with Executioner axe, which i've personaly never used before.

So enough bragging, or the Rng will get me..

peace out

Silfir
06-15-2008, 10:31 AM
Lucky bastard!

Grey
06-15-2008, 01:12 PM
That's just insane. God damn... Best of luck keeping your chap alive though - the RNG will be after you big time now.

Lich
06-15-2008, 01:26 PM
In my entire history of playing ADOM (spans about 3 years) I have found only one wand of wishing, and it did not have any charges. Am I doing something wrong?
Anyways, congratulations, you must have very good RNG karma.

Silfir
06-15-2008, 07:29 PM
You're not, Lich. I had to play for years before I found my first wand of wishing, and yet another odd couple of months before I picked one up without dying immediately afterwards.

You do remember, I hope, that even a wand of wishing without any charges is still good for one wish? :)

Ars
06-15-2008, 07:56 PM
3 victories under my belt, I don't recall ever finding a WoW.

Timpak
06-15-2008, 08:59 PM
In my entire history of playing ADOM (spans about 3 years) I have found only one wand of wishing, and it did not have any charges. Am I doing something wrong?
Anyways, congratulations, you must have very good RNG karma.

Same here, I've only found one WoWi and I've played since 2004 iirc. Although mine had 4 charges, on the other hand I never used it, I forgot to.....

meh
06-15-2008, 09:02 PM
I've found just one WoWi, the very first time I visited the water dragon's lair. I have come across plenty of RoDS, though.

My current character, a grey elven ranger, could really do with a wish or two. I've already dug up both graveyards. I guess it's back to the pools. They gave me an AoLS earlier. Now I'd really want the concentration skill before going to the ToEF.

head2
06-16-2008, 07:50 AM
I've found two WoWi's, one from the level before darkforge, and another one from very deep in the caverns of chaos, it was no use to me at that point.

On my entire ADOM-career, that is.

Those are so fudging rare.

Also, i think that they are always unidentified as "glowing wands", and they are yellow.

electric_wizard
06-16-2008, 09:25 AM
I didn't even know the wand of wishing was a thing! I've been playing for 10 years and never seen one.

A couple of questions:

What does RNG stand for? (this site should have an abbreviation glossary)

What is the 19 ring trick?

DeSt
06-16-2008, 09:38 AM
What does RNG stand for?Random number generator.

What is the 19 ring trick?19 is the maximum quantity of rings for dipping. So with PoEx you can get 19 RoDS at once.

electric_wizard
06-16-2008, 09:41 AM
We've already established I don't know my abbreviations...

Is PoEx a potion of exchange? If so, how does this help you get 19 RoDS? Would you need to find 19 stackable rings, dip them and hope for the best?

Also, does the RNG turn on you if you get too lucky or are you guys just superstitious?

PeanutGod
06-16-2008, 03:22 PM
Aye, a PoEx is a potion of exchane. RoDS is a Ring of Djinni Summoning. Since you'll no doubt have a large stack of rings by the time you want to start dipping, you should be able to get to a stack of 19 easily enough once you're started the process. Best place to dip them is Coc: Level 8. Or 9. One of those. I rarely do it anyway.

As for the RNG. No idea if it actually ever seems you're getting too lucky. But a lot of people are superstitious, and when a character is on a roll, are just waiting for the bad thing to happen that will bring the character back down to earth.

electric_wizard
06-16-2008, 03:35 PM
I still don't understand. Surely in order for that to work you'd need 19 identical rings wouldn't you?

Also, a PoEx would surely just turn them all into random a ring so the chances of getting RoDS must be pretty small.

Out of interest, what difference does the floor your on make?

DeSt
06-16-2008, 03:42 PM
Danger Level of Dungeon Level predetermines item generation.
I've seen numbers like:
On D:8 and Dwarven Graveyard - 5% chance to get RoDS
On DH:1 - 4% chance.

PeanutGod
06-16-2008, 04:03 PM
yes, you need identical rings. but say you had -

3 blessed rings acid resistance
2 uncursed rings cold resistance
2 cursed rings fire resistance

You dip the 3 acid rings, and they turn into 3 rings of cold resistance. They will go into a seperate stack until you identify their status. Identify them, and you find they are all blessed. Bless the other 2 rings of cold resistance. you now have 5 rings. Dip these 5 - they turn into uncursed rings of fire resistance. Uncurse your other 2, and you're up to 7. Thats how you build the stacks up, until you reach 19 one one type, and start dipping them.

And for the floor level, every place in ADOM has a different danger level, with certain items only coming on certain danger levels. Level 8 is when RoDS can be generated. Going deeper leaves the option for higher rating rings to be introduced.

Hope that explains it, someone else might to better.

Ars
06-16-2008, 05:31 PM
And the trick is to have enough Exchange potions to start with. So if it's a 5% chance to get them into Djinni summoning rings, on average you'd need 20 of those to start with. But after you manage it once -and you don't need 19 rings necessarily to make it work- just wish for more Exchange potions with all or most of the rings - then you can dip the brass rings and so forth.

Never done it myself, seems just kinda pointless. No fun in it.

Silfir
06-16-2008, 05:57 PM
Same here. Having 19 wishes pretty much breaks the game, unless you spend them on fun things.

electric_wizard
06-16-2008, 07:15 PM
Yeah I guess that makes sense. Seems like an awful lot of work though and how often do you have 20 PoEx lying around?

Epythic
06-16-2008, 07:40 PM
Wishing for fun things...

Well, I just spent 73 wishes on 'JADE' :)

reich
06-16-2008, 08:49 PM
I wish I had an apartment in Jade Ocean Condos in Sunny Isles...