PDA

View Full Version : Transferring roguelike habits

Timpak
06-15-2008, 09:15 PM
Anyone else out there playing other roguelikes that transfer their habits in each game from one to another? I've played lot of dungeon crawl the latest days and today when I started a game of ADOM I discovered myself reading all scrolls and drinking all potions directly as a found them.

I was also very afraid of groups of monsters and took even the smallest rat with extreme cautious.

reich
06-17-2008, 10:24 AM
I always keep pressing the wrong keybinds, like 'w' to walk in DooMRL, where the right key happens to be ','.

IMO there should be some sort of International Roguelike Union, which would establish standarized keybinds to be used in all RLs :)

idoru
07-02-2008, 02:36 AM
I always keep pressing the wrong keybinds, like 'w' to walk in DooMRL, where the right key happens to be ','.

You can always edit doomrl.ini to change the keybindings. For example, I have run set to "w" and unload set to "v".

On topic, I tend to go into melee way too often in DoomRL after playing ADOM. When playing ADOM after DoomRL, I have a tendency to want to fire missile weapons at every monster. :)

Silfir
07-02-2008, 02:14 PM
I have transferred roguelike habits to non-roguelikes actually. For instance, I hate to save/reload for anything but stopping and resuming play, for instance in Civilization games, or X-COM, where many players apparently willingly save/reload just to get better results on goody huts or better stats for soldiers. ADOM has drilled my disgust for these kinds of things into my head, so I even have trouble reloading old saves of dead characters in games where this is customary. Taking the ADOM approach to these, however, often means that I have to replay parts over and over and over, one of the prime reasons I never really got into Morrowing even though it's an awesome game.

As for roguelikes, well, my utter specialization on ADOM means that whenever I try my hand at other roguelikes, I grow annoyed because they DARE to have different (and often worse) controls. For instance, what IS with the inventory management in Nethack? Why does it assume I know my entire inventory at all times, including the arbitrary letters that are assigned to all the junk I carry? Why does it not just stop kidding and display the inventory instantly like ADOM does? And why can't I open doors by running into them?

gut
07-03-2008, 02:48 PM
Timpak:
> transfer their habits in each game from one to another

I never used the Auto_Pickup feature in over half of a decade
of playing ADOM. After playing with Crawl for a few days, I
realized I didn't want to play without it any more : ) There
seems to be a bug with it in ADOM though, that causes only one
game turn to be consumed for a 'step, and pick up' action. For
this reason, I didn't use it in my 'limited turns' games, but
I use it in most of my normal games now.

Silfir:
> what IS with the inventory management in Nethack?

I completely agree. I think the keybindings and inventory
management are basically 'leftovers' from previous roguelikes.
Lots of players were used to them, and so they stayed. Nethack
was not nearly fun enough, for me to bother with trying to
learn that horrid system, but Crawl is a different story. I
think it resembles the Nethack, but with some improvements,
I really haven't played NH enough to know.