PDA

View Full Version : "attack doesn't penetrate the defenses" question

omega_red
06-28-2008, 09:59 PM
What does this message exactly mean? Went to water cave with my lvl27 wizard and tried to kill the dragon. Neither Burning Hands (P:39) nor Fireball (P:16) could harm her.

The attack doesn't penetrate the defenses of Shyssiryxius, the female great water dragon!
She should be pretty vulnerable to fire or I'm mistaken? Do I just need to beef Fireball's efectiveness up?

Silfir
06-29-2008, 01:36 AM
Um, why should a water dragon inside a water cave be especially vulnerable to fire?

I don't think the problem is effectivity (yours is Xtreme), so I'd wager a guess that Shyssiryxius is immune to fire.

omega_red
06-29-2008, 01:47 AM
Well, immune monsters give messages like "foo resists the searing flames". Or well, maybe the defenses in question is indeed water in the cave ;)
Too bad I don't have Acid Ball (and the one from Library got destroyed there :/)

Laukku
06-29-2008, 09:50 AM
Maybe it has something to do with PV. Trying Burning Hands on some ants gave the same message once.

reich
06-29-2008, 11:17 AM
I think the message means the monster didn't take damage thanks to its PV. With a level 1 elementalist this often happens when you try to scorch a giant bat.

Grey
06-29-2008, 01:07 PM
Water has nothing to do with it - I've scorched her before. PV is likely the answer, though I've never heard of that happening with ball spells. Acid ball easily takes down greater molochs for instance.

Elone
06-29-2008, 01:49 PM
But then again greater molochs are weak, and easily fall in melee.

Grey
06-29-2008, 03:18 PM
Greater Molochs have minimum 100 PV - acid ball does not cause a great deal more than that, if more than that at all. Emperor moloch has 200 PV and he's known to fall to acid ball too. I just don't think PV affects the spell.

Silfir
06-30-2008, 12:17 AM
Could it be that DV is the deciding factor? I'm currently having trouble wrapping my head around the idea that a huge bat could have enough PV to not take damage from Burning Hands...

gut
06-30-2008, 04:10 AM
Burning hands does yield pathetic damage at exp. level 1, but
quickly improves as your exp. level rises. I remember not being
able to damage bandits with BH, but I've not noticed it with bats.

Grey
06-30-2008, 03:12 PM
Repeated use to get its effectivity up also makes it quite powerful (at least in comparison with most other spells where effectivity does very little).