#./.......#
#.#########
#.
#.

Lol St:17 Le:17 Wi:16 Dx:15 To:14 Ch:13 Ap:20 Ma:15 Pe:10 N=
DV/PV: 50/27 H: 128(128) P: 62(62) Exp: 18/336794 I24 Sp: 97
Invisible Strained
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Struggling along with a human Paladin, who I'm trying for an ultra ending with. Currently hanging out on the early I20s harvesting consumables and hoping to find an AoLS or 7LB. After grinding out a bunch of items, I read a blessed scroll of identify and look through my haul, and guess what I find...

Books ('"')
uncursed spellbook of Divine Intervention [100s]

Wheeee! Thing is, I've never played a Paladin seriously before, and I don't have any idea how likely it is that I will even be able to read this book. I wouldn't like to attempt it and then have the book burst into flames / disappear - that would really suck, but then if I were to successfully learn it early-ish in the game it would be invaluable to my shot at an ultra win, even with the crippling stat loss. Should I just stash this somewhere until I've reached like level 40 or something before I even consider trying to read it? Or is the notion of even attempting to learn this spell with a Paladin laughable?

LFk
06-29-2008, 07:26 AM
Now i've never had this happen before - the only characters of mine that have ever found that spellbook have been wizards, in the library.

I'm tempted to just say that it's impossible. Wizards already have a hard enough time learning that spell, so i'd imagine that Paladins will find it near impossible to pull it off.

It's a pity that a great drop is functionally useless :(

furious_styles
06-29-2008, 07:46 AM
Now i've never had this happen before - the only characters of mine that have ever found that spellbook have been wizards, in the library.

Yeah, I've only ever seen it once before myself (I only have a handful of regular wins under my belt, and only one with a wizard). It's kind of a kick in the teeth that I didn't find it with a caster, but what can you do.

I'm tempted to just say that it's impossible. Wizards already have a hard enough time learning that spell, so i'd imagine that Paladins will find it near impossible to pull it off.

It's a pity that a great drop is functionally useless :(

Ah well, I knew it was a long shot. I wonder how much it'll fetch from Waldenbrook? :P

Silfir
06-29-2008, 12:03 PM
Spellbooks of Wish aren't that rare in my experience. Then again, my emotional reaction to finding one is pretty neutral, so I probably don't remember clearly...

Grey
06-29-2008, 01:05 PM
With high learning you might be able to read it around level 30, in a safe place, stupidly bloated and not teleporting. However you'll not be able to cast it till your 40s at least, and that'll be casting from HP. You might never be able to cast it without killing yourself in fact. Don't rely on this to be of any use to you in gaining an ultra ending. Even if you were a wizard or priest it'd be useless.

Shadow_2014
06-30-2008, 04:19 AM
Okay, so Divine Intervention is the same as Wish? Because if so, I'm going to kick myself at the fact that each time I came across one and couldn't learn it, I just let it burn to my lack of skill.

Scienceman123
06-30-2008, 04:31 AM
Okay, so Divine Intervention is the same as Wish? Because if so, I'm going to kick myself at the fact that each time I came across one and couldn't learn it, I just let it burn to my lack of skill.

Yes. Yes it is.

Please don't die kicking the wall^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H yourself.

Molach
06-30-2008, 09:33 PM
Attempting to read it would increase your Le too.

And paladins are semi-spellcasters, they probably do not so severe handicap to reading from books. You have concentration, that helps.

But likely, when you are able to read it, you won't need to. Catch 22.

Shadow_2014
07-01-2008, 02:28 AM
Please don't die kicking the wall^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H yourself.

I don't get it. I think that one went over my head.