PDA

View Full Version : System Requirements

Jim
03-10-2008, 08:11 AM
Hello!

I currently run ADOM on an (aging) Linux terminal server, and it runs great, even with several instances running at the same time, along with the software that is actually supposed to run on the clients.

I have to ask: how much steeper will the resource requirements for JADE be, compared to that of ADOM? Will I be able to continue my shenanigans at work in a JADE world?

Also, will a recent JRE be an unavoidable requirement? I do not have admin rights, and the system is running some legacy Java (1.3 I think), which doesn't seem to be fancy enough to run the code snippets you posted in the blog.

If so, then a question to any Java programmers reading this: do native compilation options exist? (So that Java programs, such as JADE, could be run on systems without, or with outdated versions of, the JRE). And if so, do they require any specific formalities at the source level, or can they be used on compiled bytecode (which is probably what we're going to get)?

Thanks!

Epythic
03-10-2008, 09:50 PM
I doubt it. As far as I know, resource usage will be much higher. Some hundreds of megabytes of ram and a decent cpu. And it requires GUI mode.

You can install Java without root privileges.

Native compilation is... experimental. But even that wouldnt make it as fast as ADOM is. Its not only Java that makes it slow...

Grey
03-11-2008, 12:45 AM
Based on what's been said I'd estimate a gig of RAM and 1800+ MHz CPU. On Linux systems requirements might be a little lower, but overall you're going to want a modern system (well, within the last 6 years or so) to run it. Of course, you'll still have ADOM to play on old computers :)

adom-admin
03-11-2008, 06:08 AM
Hello!
I have to ask: how much steeper will the resource requirements for JADE be, compared to that of ADOM? Will I be able to continue my shenanigans at work in a JADE world?

JADE requirements will be much higher. Right now JADE is using Java 6 and sadly have to admit that I don't care for the system requirements... at least not in the initial versions. JADE uses a lot of memory since every being is very very complex (as complex as the PC) and there are many interlinking concepts. And the code so far has not been tuned. So yes, you will need a pretty modern system (1 GB memory would be my guess is the minimum, and at least 1Ghz or so). Right now I am developing on the following system which is pretty nice for handling JADE: Intel MProcessor 1.2 GHz, 1.24GB RAM.

yisk
03-11-2008, 06:31 AM
Wow! I think 'bout JADE on 2 dvd! =)

Macros
03-11-2008, 10:34 AM
1.24GB RAM

:eek: Well, I guess that it's time to start collecting money for new PC:)

Dorten
03-11-2008, 10:47 AM
Intel MProcessor 1.2 GHz, 1.24GB RAM:rolleyes:

Tell me, it's not the MINIMAL reqs!!!

theotherhiveking
03-11-2008, 01:51 PM
:rolleyes:

Tell me, it's not the MINIMAL reqs!!!

No, but if you want to run smoothly the game..

Dorten
03-12-2008, 04:37 AM
Well... I played Dwarf Fotress with 7FPS... I can take it.

adom-admin
03-14-2008, 07:24 AM
No, but if you want to run smoothly the game..

Actually I have no idea what the actual minimum requirements are. On the configuration described (and that's a mobile system) it runs pretty decently (although in some complex situations it could be faster - but that's probably due to the debugging output that I currently have turned on all the time).

But 1 GB of memory probably is a must-have... that's the disadvantage of implementing it in Java. OTOH I always thought that 1 GB is pretty standard these days... but we'll see ;-)

Epythic
03-14-2008, 11:25 AM
Actually I have no idea what the actual minimum requirements are. On the configuration described (and that's a mobile system) it runs pretty decently (although in some complex situations it could be faster - but that's probably due to the debugging output that I currently have turned on all the time).

But 1 GB of memory probably is a must-have... that's the disadvantage of implementing it in Java. OTOH I always thought that 1 GB is pretty standard these days... but we'll see ;-)

For notebooks, its not standard, as far as I know. But premature optimization is the root of all evil, so try to get it released and *then* get it working on weaker systems. We could try to compile it with GCJ, which is said to give some performance (cpu + ram) advantage, but that can wait.

adom-admin
03-14-2008, 10:20 PM
For notebooks, its not standard, as far as I know. But premature optimization is the root of all evil, so try to get it released and *then* get it working on weaker systems. We could try to compile it with GCJ, which is said to give some performance (cpu + ram) advantage, but that can wait.

Definitely. Right now I won't waste a second to optimize anything. I believe that I'm a pretty decent programmer that leaves out many stupid ways of implementing stuff (hell, I gave lectures about optimizing Java code so I should have learned a little myself ;)). Once the initial versions are out I will start using a profiler on critical parts of the game.

Right now I know about quite a number of places where caching could improve lookups, etc. What I don't yet know is if the lookups really are a problem (even if there are a couple of hundred or even thousand of them per step) - and thus I will delay such caching optimizations until later since each speed optimization usually reduces code intelligibility - and it's too early for that ;)

Epythic
03-15-2008, 08:29 AM
hell, I gave lectures about optimizing Java code so I should have learned a little myself

Reminds me of that picture.. when I first saw it, I thought "wtf, that is Thomas Biskup???"
http://www.quinscape.de/opencms/export/sites/default/de/Galerien/Bildgalerie/Fotos/tbiskup2.jpg

theotherhiveking
03-15-2008, 03:21 PM
It seems so.

http://www.reloaded.org/Thomas-Biskup/Game-Maker24/

Grey
03-15-2008, 04:13 PM
And continuing the TB gallery:

http://www.geocities.com/darrenjohngrey/adom-group.jpg

(from the #adom IRC channel meet '04)

theotherhiveking
03-15-2008, 04:31 PM
And continuing the TB gallery: