PDA

View Full Version : Civilization 4

FantomFang
07-01-2008, 11:57 PM
Just a quick question: Any Civ4 players here? I just got that game the other day, and man is it addictive! Only playing it on Settler difficulty, but enjoying it greatly. Did a cultural and space race victory, and i'm gonna try a full blown conquest victory in the next few days.

Silfir
07-02-2008, 03:05 PM
Right here! Been on board since Civ2, which I played as an eight-year-old (the first game I've ever gotten as a present), and which is one of my favorite games of all time (apart from ADOM, of course).

I have to say I haven't grown as attached to Civ4 as I still somewhat am to Civ2, but I like how it managed to mostly introduce gameplay elements that did not suck. It takes things that have been in Civ since the beginning, adds the two good things that were introduced in Civ3 (read: Culture minus extreme flippage and Resources), and introduces a number of changes (no enemy zone of control? Removal of hard population limits? Settlers don't take up population? You can't enter enemy territory without a special agreement?) that make it feel truly unique, unlike Civ3, which except for Culture and Resources was like Civ2, only worse.

I couldn't bear playing on Settler for more than one game, but when it's all new, why not. I usually play Noble - it's described as the mode where the AI and yourself actually have equal chances, and if I give it my all I can beat it rather easily.

As for the best Civilization game in terms of gameplay... I think that Alpha Centauri still deserves that title, with or without Alien Crossfire. (It's a Civilization game in spirit, even if it isn't named as such!)

Hmm... Maybe we could make arrangements to play a game of Civ4 over the intarwebz...