PDA

View Full Version : What Am I Doing Wrong?

MoralTurpitude
07-03-2008, 04:24 PM
I've been playing the game for a while, and although I feel like I have a pretty good sense for whats going on, I never seem to get past a certain point. I will often die in UD/VD/PC etc, but most of my games never get very deep into CoC. I have only encountered Khelly a handful of times, for instance. I also seem to have a lot of trouble getting crowned aswell - too many artifacts get generated and then gaining levels becomes difficult without descending further, where certain death almost surely awaits.

I usually roll a character that fits well with the starsign, although I am partial to elementalists. I also used to play a lot of trolls, but have since moved to a lot of humans/dwarves.

Evil Knievel
07-03-2008, 04:37 PM
I remember that I also had this period of having problems getting much deeper than dwarftown. Almost always I died in some stupid situation, each one different from the other one. It doesn't really help you much, I think, but every one of those deaths helps me now.

However, there are some milestones: Before, I underused darkness - a great thing, I got rid of that vortexphobia. Then, going through the UD helps a lot, because it prolongs the early game. You simply have more levels when you reach the CoC. Then, I like doing the graveyard and the pyramid early - you get a lot of good items that way. Then, I learned that you never ever are allowed to rely on only melee or only missiles/bolts. Doing this produces a time bomb. The situation killing you by hitting your weak spot will arise sooner or later. The understanding of herbs (at first which does what, later on how to harvest, and which patterns function) also strengthens the character during diving in the CoC.

Subconscious
07-03-2008, 06:11 PM
Dwarves are a stable choice for any class - they survive in the earlygame very well, stick with them.
Also classes like priests, barbarians, paladins, healers, beastfighters are great to play with if you are not certain how to pass the early stages of the game, casters may seem as tempting choice but they can be risky in the beginning...

Use tactics, dont rush into the fights recklessly, think first and then charge.
Use missile weapons, they deal lots of damage not regarding your class. Get a bow or crossbow with you with every character, every time - Dont forget the slaying ones.
Use magic in every aid, use your scrolls and wands in every place where you think you would probably need them. Use your potions as throwing weapons - they are pretty damn powerfull depending on their effect.

That are the basics, remember them always. Adom is very risky game, sometimes you cant just help it.
We are all victims of the RNG.
Also...
Dont hurry too much, dying becouse old age naturally is not very possible.

Ars
07-03-2008, 07:48 PM
Dont hurry too much, dying becouse old age naturally is not very possible.I'd say that is the most important thing to remember for a beginner. Corruption is not an issue. If there's a bad-looking situation, it's probably a good idea to just flee.

Silfir
07-04-2008, 01:16 PM
ADOM is a game about survival. That's the truth of it. Survival means minimizing risks, which means to prepare yourself for every single eventuality. That comes most easily with lots and lots of deaths, because every death is (or at least should be) a lesson learned.

mdrew93
07-07-2008, 05:37 PM
i have the same problem as moralturpitude. i will try you guys suggestions. i have the darkness spell and use it alot. i also got teleportation very early on. i love that spell. Very usefull for fleeing bad situations. can someone tell me why the wall-less level is so hard when some after that are relitively easy? i always get surrounded by fifty guys and have to teleport! then they come back!

Silfir
07-07-2008, 05:40 PM
Well, that's because it has such a high monster generation rate, and you cannot hide! Just fleeing from the monsters will not make them disappear, of course...

What's helpful to remember in the Big Room is that you can lure monsters to adjacent levels - if you climb up or down stairs, only the monsters directly adjacent to you will follow you. That way you can keep fighting one or two or maybe three at once, and shortly whittle down the enormous masses. In any case, don't stay for too long in that room if you can't handle the monsters. Killing them for loot and XP is less risky if you're already level 15 or something!

mdrew93
07-07-2008, 06:26 PM
yeah that's what i have been doing but they just seem to keep coming.

Silfir
07-07-2008, 09:15 PM
Yeah, that's what they'll keep doing. If you want to make monsters stop appearing in the big room, you have to pacify it.

It could also be there's a summoner somewhere. In that case, you can't really do much but keep killing monsters until the summoner gets near the stairs.

baby-eater
07-07-2008, 09:24 PM
It's not that you're doing anything wrong, just that you've hit one of the milestones in the game. You run into them with every character, and you just have to be creative (but careful) for a few levels.

Molach
07-07-2008, 09:50 PM
Hmmmm

You say you don't "get further".

Well, where have you gotten?
The first mission in ADOM is NOT to find the blanket in the SMC. It is not to rescue the lil' puppy. It is not to save the carpenter or slay an evil druid, and certainly not to kill a raider lord or a crime lord. It is not to slay the pet monster of the dwarven elder, or to scout past the dwarven halls, or to destroy a mummy lord, or to lay a valiant dwarfs soul to rest.

It is to become powerful. Powerful enough that you can keep getting more powerful, and rarely be close to dying. If you regularly die at a place, you are not meant to be there. Become more powerful before doing that place.

Some of the places I mentioned can be helpful in your quest to become powerful, but the good old ID can probably provide much help too.

cheers.

Silfir
07-07-2008, 10:11 PM
Molach is right. Priority number one is that you survive. You can do anything else, explore, fight, collect loot, anything, as long as your survive.