PDA

View Full Version : Luck

FantomFang
07-04-2008, 03:56 AM
Well, I think Creator Day start for my Dwarven Ranger really did help. I had forgotten that I had yet to obtain Teleport Control when I went to the DDL/VDDL. I dove down to the VDDL, and hit a teleportation trap, which sent me to the center of the level. I go "Damn, I forgot to install teleport control on this guy! How could I forget that!" I take 5 more steps, hit another teleportation trap, and teleport right into the room with the wand and the downstairs. My reaction? Something like this...

Me: ............................
Me: Holy Shit.

EDIT: Also, I forgot to mention that I got only my 2nd ever RoDS during my exploration of SMC/UD, the very first dungeon I delved with this character. And then generated the Stone Giant Lord. Neutral. Whew.

EDIT 2: Further luck. At 25 STR, drink from a pool, get slightly strengthened. Two dozen steps later, gain 1 pt of Strength. I think I agree with Grey now, Karma wasn't with me because I made my first Creator's Day character a few hours early, but this character, who I made on the day itself for me, is rocking faces and taking names.

FantomFang
07-04-2008, 04:53 AM
Another thing, actually a question here. What could I expect of the risk/reward of fighting/eating the Oracle? I understand that I need to stand at an angle, 'cuz she won't even move, but how much gain should I expect to get, considering i can make myself at least sick before it eat it, and I'll likely be around 14-15 Le? I wanna be able to read books better, because I lucked out and found a book shop on D:1, and I am sadly unable to read most of them (If only I had a wand of wonder, eh?)

DeSt
07-04-2008, 11:24 AM
Per "improved" guidebook
Oracle corpse - Spellcasting monster, (+6 Le), Bad luck
As oracle is spellcasing moncter - Cursed: 5%: +2d3PP; Uncursed: 25%: +2d3PP; Blessed: 50%: +2d3PP, 16.7%: +1 Ma
Parenthesised Stat Chances are 100% at 1-20
"Bad luck" means lose Lucky and Fate Smiles intristics if present, and gain Cursed and Doomed intristic.

Almost everything in adom depends on luck. I remember having AoLS and 7LB lying next to each other in HMV shop. Or AoLS in black market(just started with candle-born DE beasrfighter).

vogonpoet
07-04-2008, 01:08 PM
Pretty sure +6 Le is possible if your Le is sucky enough at time of consumption - go for sick and starving. And know where your nearest altar is, as thou shalt be doomed for thy Oracle consumption, with or without spoon.

Ars
07-04-2008, 03:40 PM
I don't think that good item finds are linked to the lucky intrinsics, or the teleportation to the stairs - you just got lucky.

Grey
07-04-2008, 04:14 PM
I agree that the luck stuff is unrelated to the Creator's Day bonuses - I certainly noticed none in my game, required hard effort to keep my druid safe. The many dead will likely agree.

As for eating the oracle, she usually gives +6 Le if it's low enough. I always bless the corpse and usually make myself sick before eating. Just remember to head straight back to an altar to sac something and get rid of the dooming.

FantomFang
07-04-2008, 05:22 PM
Yea, I know it isn't. I just felt the karma gods speaking, considering your post the other day Gray, about the creation of my contest character a few hours early.

FantomFang
07-06-2008, 07:18 PM
And speaking of the karma gods, the game crashed. Right after I had just spent an hour or two herbing it up (I like doing it all at once, and not as I go along). Crashed on ADOM Sage as I was just holding down the move button to mow through a horde of rats.

DeSt
07-07-2008, 06:09 PM
Speaking about luck. Gnome mindcrafter. Eternium two-handed sword in SMC. Precrowned by an Executor and cleared pyramid and DF. lvl 21. Surge of power at D:7 - BoW. Still not used mindcraft even once.

Subconscious
07-07-2008, 06:56 PM
More crazy RNG stuff:

PC:6 Undead Vault (as always)

D:3 Orc Vault (happens most of the time on CoC near surface)

D:5 Mixed vault (Wow, more of vaults)

D:7 Another Undead Vault (Even more vaults?)

D:12 Another Mixed vault (Ohh cmoon...)

Ridiculous!
Too bad I died here, there could have been even more of them :p

Silfir
07-07-2008, 08:17 PM
I love myself some vaults. The mixed ones can really fuck you over, though.