PDA

View Full Version : X-COM: Ufo Defense

Silfir
07-04-2008, 03:20 PM
I'm totally in love with this game. (Since it's fifteen years old, having sex with it would even be legal for me in Germany! I digress.)

I'm as happy as one can be with this shining star of win and awesome when he has just discovered it about one and a half weeks ago, but is there anyone among you who can help me with the crashes? I'm playing the Collector's edition, and apart from a couple of annoying issues (I can't play it on my laptop if I don't uninstall my graphics drivers, and it runs a bit too fast, but not fast enough to make it unplayable) I'd really like for it to crash less often.

Of course, I'd also like to know who else has ever played it.

For those not in the know, this an excellent writeup of the game I'll link to in lieu of my incoherent babbling: http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=1386

(EDIT: Apparently, you can even still download the game from him instead of going through The Underdogs! How cool is that?)

In short, it is a science fiction game about kicking aliens in their filthy earth-invading butts, with a battle system similar to Final Fantasy Tactics, only that it has about 1000 times better atmosphere and 100 times less boring. (Can't comment on the depth because I didn't even make it past the first battle in Final Fantasy Tactics due to its aforementioned lackings.)

warheart
07-04-2008, 03:57 PM
I've played that, or maybe it was another version of it, not sure. It was a lot of years ago and, although I know I completed the game, I don't remember shit about crashes or other issues. I rembember its awesomeness though. But since I don't play any kind of games anymore (just a bit of ADOM here and there), I don't think I'll be trying it :)

Evil Knievel
07-05-2008, 01:37 AM
I think I used to play a version from www.abandonia.org, in DOSbox without a lot of problems. They also have a windows version there. The dos version can definitely be slowed down somewhat via cycles. Maybe, one of the two also runs on your PCs without crashing. They have enemy unkown there, but I think it's basically the same game.

Dorten
07-05-2008, 09:52 AM
They have enemy unkown there, but I think it's basically the same game.

It's the Europe edition, while X-Com is American one, IIRC. There should be some differences in prices, but not a single big enough to make it FEEL different. As for crashes and speed - well, playing DOS version in DOSBox worked well for me. Cool thing BTW. Despite that I've never had enough patience to win it (shame on me), getting bored somewhere after psionics development. But I'm totally stuck with Dwarf Fortress for now, so wont play X-Com anymore (I think)

Silfir
07-05-2008, 12:11 PM
Dwarf Fortress... I have it, but the controls were a bit too high a hurdle to jump over. I get that it's probably an extremely awesome game once you get it going, but I haven't had the patience to deal with it yet.

Subconscious
07-06-2008, 07:40 AM
I have it exactly the same way as Silfir does.

Ars
07-06-2008, 07:51 PM
Dwarf Fortress was quite nice, but after a while it gets a bit tedious having to watch over every little thing. It'll be a great game I think, after some more development.

And I do vaguely remember trying UFO: Enemy Unknown somewhere, but I was too little and bad at english back then to really get anywhere in it if my memory serves me right.

Tnx
07-08-2008, 02:25 AM
You should check out the new installments of the Xcom series.. I played UFO Aftershock for awhile with some mods and it was pretty awesome.