PDA

View Full Version : please help!

B_C_
07-04-2008, 05:20 PM
I use Mac OSX v1.1.1 Beta 5.
I had a game-winning char (lvl 26 gnome wiz fire orb, water orb, save khelly, RoHK, clear BUGCAV, etc., etc.) in the middle of clearing out a giants vault I got bored, saved my game for the first time (yes I had left my computer on for a while prior to this.)
Anyway now every time I press [r] to restore games ADOM crashes before I even see the list of saved games. Everything else works fine - I can [g]enerate chars and play for a while but I can't restore games. This sucks! I never had this problem before nor did I ever have a char nearly this good.
Apparently most ppl don't use OSX to run ADOM but if anybody knows ANYTHING I can do to get this char back I would REALLLY appreciate it.

Ars
07-04-2008, 05:38 PM
What does it say when crashing? I most probably can't solve this but more specific info could help.

B_C_
07-04-2008, 06:46 PM
edit: *potential* game-winning char
edit: using Beta *3*

The ADOM window goes black as soon as I press [r]. It lingers there for a few seconds then crashes - I get the message "The application ADOM quit unexpectedly." I've had ADOM crashing problems before when starting up the game or when I press [g] to generate new chars but NEVER when trying to restore games. And it's happening EVERY time. Is this karma for letting the banshee wail on hundreds of living trees and generating so many items that the save file got corrupted?

Nezur
07-04-2008, 08:40 PM
Have you tried playing ADoM on DosBox (http://www.dosbox.com/download.php?main=1)?

I don't know how you could get your character back though. Maybe the save file will work on DosBox.

gut
07-05-2008, 05:54 AM
In the past, when I have set the 'name' configuration variable
in the .cfg file, I have experienced similar problems.

Ars
07-05-2008, 08:55 AM
I'd try reinstalling ADOM (and of course keeping the save file).

warheart
07-05-2008, 12:00 PM
I had something like that not much ago. My problem is adom crashed while saving a game (due to my computer sucking big time, crashes usually), but theorically everything was correct, I could open ADOM after reseting comp. But, as you say, as soon as I pressed 'r' it crashed. I ended removing that savefile from the save directory, and then it stopped crashing, so I think the problem was that the crash while saving corrupted the save file somehow. Nothing to do there, char lost. Try doing that, if you can 'r'estore games without that savefile there, then you've just lost the character.

meh
07-05-2008, 01:38 PM
In the past, when I have set the 'name' configuration variable
in the .cfg file, I have experienced similar problems.

I too remember something like that. IIRC, the game will only load a save with that particular name. If one doesn't exist, then the program crashes.

Sadaharu
07-08-2008, 07:44 AM
I just found this problem. I'm on a MBP running leopard. I would delete the save file if I could find it - can someone give me a heads up on how to do this on a Mac?

Sadaharu
07-14-2008, 06:24 AM
friendly bump? would really appreciate any help.

B_C_
07-14-2008, 05:34 PM
Gut - What application do I use to open .cfg?

Soirana
07-14-2008, 05:39 PM
notepad works for me

gut
07-14-2008, 07:50 PM
We often get posts from mac users, not being able to find their ADOM files,
which can create a lot of problems for them. I have never used a mac, so
am not qualified to give answers... but that's never stopped me before : )

The first thing I would do, is to try to actually find all your ADOM files. I googled
'mac file monitor' and found this link: http://www.matterform.com/mac_software/file_security/
I didn't read through it completely, but I think it (or something like it) might be
of some help. In particular, look for a file named adom.prc, and if it's there, delete
it. As for the adom. cfg file, you can edit it with any text editor, just back it up
first.

Sadaharu
07-21-2008, 01:39 AM
Thanks! solved everything. for some reason, it was not deleting the save game files of deceased characters. i used a freeware invisible file revealer and all is solved (deleted the deceased).

gut
07-21-2008, 01:58 AM
Sweet. If it isn't too much trouble, would you post a link, so that I can
refer other Mac users to it in the future.