PDA

View Full Version : I HATE mimics!

Lich
07-05-2008, 01:55 AM
I lost yet another promising character to a mimic, and I have lost more characters to those things than all the other monsters in the game combined. I swear, if I ever get the equipment, I will walk up to a mimic, paralyze it, then slice it at least 100 times with a dagger to make it bleed to death.

If you would also like to share your hatred for those things or ideas for mimic cruelty, I would be glad to hear it.

Subconscious
07-05-2008, 09:05 AM
It's funny.
With 100 stealth and enough speed you can actually walk next to a mimic and hit it while it's in it bluff form.
Btw DO mimics leave a corpse?

"That's a mimic for sure, Im going trough these traps just to meet a mimic. But If I firebolt it, I know Im gonna blast a damn good weapon"

Silfir
07-05-2008, 09:18 AM
Magic Missile it. It never destroys items :p

Anyway, yes, if I look through my highscore list, I definitely find a lot of master mimic or greater mimic deaths. I usually am extremely careful if I see an item that wasn't there before, and I know enough about the game to notice impossible item colors when I see them (What's that supposed to be? An ankheg figurine of wondrous power? Yeah right. Magic Missile!).

Ars
07-05-2008, 10:52 AM
I saw this thread earlier and thought that it's just really stupid playing, getting killed by a mimic - i just had shot several hiveminds with my orc paladin when going to the SIL, no big problem with them.

But now when coming back, I was just doing the same to a master mimic, when the stiff muscles corruption (worst corruption there is I think) hits in. Suddenly I can't outrun it, and it comes, paralyzes and kills me. Duh.

Grey
07-05-2008, 12:28 PM
They're a nuisance, but high DV can help immensely. If you're on Coward when exploring then it won't hit you with a surprise attack if you run into it, and then you can switch to defensive for melee or run away and shoot/bolt it.

I always feel dumb when I shoot an arrow at an item that turns out not to be a mimic...

Silfir
07-05-2008, 02:41 PM
I'd feel smart because it proves you're paranoid like a true ADOM master :)

vogonpoet
07-05-2008, 03:19 PM
Yeah shooting at the items in shops just makes me feel cunning rather than dumb. Never understood why it doesn't piss off the shopkeepers though...

Elone
07-05-2008, 03:57 PM
You'll never find something stronger than a plain mimic in a shop. Wake up. Try shooting at the shopkeeper himself.

Subconscious
07-05-2008, 04:17 PM
Hahah Elone!
Thanks, that made my day :D