PDA

View Full Version : How do you wish!?!

mdrew93
07-05-2008, 06:14 PM
i have been wondering how you wish. i have tried everything i can think of and i cant figure it out? is there a cheat that you can just hit a button and get a wish or do you have to accomplish a certain task?:confused:

please help!

Grey
07-05-2008, 06:17 PM
Heh, a button - that'd be nice. Wishes are very rare. You might get lucky sipping from a pool and get a wish, but more likely something bad will happen. You might also find a ring of djinni summoning at some point - if you bless it and 'u'se it then a djinni will give you a wish. The final possibility is finding a wand of wishing (always unided as a "glowing wand") which may grant you several wishes - this is exceedingly rare though.

Subconscious
07-05-2008, 07:39 PM
Theres also spellbook, where you can learn how to cast Wish as a spell.
However, you are not likely to find one, and if you find, you are not likely to learn it (needs high literacy/learning), and if you learn, you are not likely to cast it (MP cost is somewhere 1000+ and you would drain your own blood up if you casted), AND if you succeed casting it, it will drain random attribute by 10.

Well, doesnt sound too bad? To tell the truth I have NEVER been able to cast wish, I have NEVER found Wand of wishing, I have encountered only about 5 Rings of Djinn summoning and I have got wish from a pool only around 5 times as well... I've been playing about 3 years now actively and I really think I have been really lucky to find so many of them.

With wish you can try to wish what ever you want, but you wont receive everything you want. There are things you cant get with wish, including artifacts and etc.. Try 'immortality' and you get the point. Only one certain item type is allowed but there are some tricks for it such as following:

There is pretty much difference if you ask for:
Ring of protection (for example), RingS of protection or just RingS.

The first one is about to give you ONE ring of protection, the second may yeld few and the final one gives you several rings with different suffixes.

/edit. And ohh, dont try to use djinn summoning when you are surrounded, I have bad experiences about it.

Siriah
07-05-2008, 08:15 PM
It's quite a cruel joke when you drink a Potion of Wonder and get the Wish spell. If your character is buff enough to be able to cast it, then you don't need a wish anyway.

Sami
07-05-2008, 08:35 PM
I have won adom 26 times so far, found several wands of wishing, dozens of rings of djinni summoning and also a few times a spellbook of wish. But I have never been able to cast the wish spell (costs 3000pp with experienced wizard and drains random attribute by 10), except with one character who had already won and I started to play with him and really tried to cast it for once...

Elone
07-06-2008, 01:00 AM
And ohh, dont try to use djinn summoning when you are surrounded, I have bad experiences about it.

When you are surrounded with water or doors, Djinni will not have enough room to appear and your wish will be wasted. When you are surrounded with monsters, Djinni will instantly strangle the closest monster to him. A random monster, though.

I was in a corridor with 2 balors upon me on D50. I rubbed the ring to wish for something that could take me out of there (wand of teleport, wand of digging, wand of balor instakill, of something else useful). The Djinni strangled one balor while appearing, and asked me to make a wish. I wished for something totally else, and escaped via the now-free corridor. This is not the first time that Djinni strangled someone for me, but was the best moment to do so, ever.

If it wasnt 2am here, I'd go dig up an old backup savefile to try it out on... on Andor Drakon. My theory is that the player can win a game without gaining even the one exp point upon his death. Some of you lovely gentlemen do it for me, please?

LFk
07-06-2008, 02:10 AM
When you are surrounded with water or doors, Djinni will not have enough room to appear and your wish will be wasted. When you are surrounded with monsters, Djinni will instantly strangle the closest monster to him. A random monster, though.

I was in a corridor with 2 balors upon me on D50. I rubbed the ring to wish for something that could take me out of there (wand of teleport, wand of digging, wand of balor instakill, of something else useful). The Djinni strangled one balor while appearing, and asked me to make a wish. I wished for something totally else, and escaped via the now-free corridor. This is not the first time that Djinni strangled someone for me, but was the best moment to do so, ever.

If it wasnt 2am here, I'd go dig up an old backup savefile to try it out on... on Andor Drakon. My theory is that the player can win a game without gaining even the one exp point upon his death. Some of you lovely gentlemen do it for me, please?

Whoa i never knew this could happen.

I have my old archmage backed up, so i decided to give it a shot.

Seems the djinni can strangle most monsters, but it did NOT work on Andy. The message simply says that a voice "groans and says there is not enough room to appear. This was tested standing next to Andor Drakon and surrounding self with doors. Surrounding with monsters will result in the djinni strangling one of the monsters every time and ignoring Andy.

When tested on Thundarr, the djinni "gives [me] a surprised look and disappears quickly". Note that doing this and having the Djinni fail to appear seems to NOT use up the RoDS.

Amusingly, the djinni willingly strangles Waldenbrook. It results in the usual message (Stop, ye thief!), but Waldenbrook apparently says it after he's already dead.

On a side note, it appears forgot to back up my most recent win with the farmer.. dammit. I usually save each win and back it up when the PC is one move away from victory, then archive it. Sad day.

mdrew93
07-06-2008, 03:09 AM
i saw one demo video thing where the pc got to wish as soon as he went into the Terinyo! did he just get lucky and get a wand of wishing when he started!?!

Soirana
07-06-2008, 05:04 AM
no djinnies won't strangle Andy. On other hand it is been tested that pets (in particular balor) is capable of killing Andy and that counts as legal win.

Subconscious
07-06-2008, 07:12 AM
Actually I did'nt know about this strangle thing. I thought it would be the same as djinn did'nt have enough space. I gotta remember wrong then...

mdrew93
07-06-2008, 08:28 PM
where do you find rings of dijini summoning?

Silfir
07-06-2008, 09:06 PM
At any place with danger level 8 or higher - they are very rare however, as might be expected.

mdrew93
07-07-2008, 01:13 AM
on that subject, how good is a wand of wonder? i found one but then i died before i could use it!:(

Elone
07-07-2008, 01:20 AM
Rings of Wish will always appear as Ordinary Ring. The first such ring that I found, I was wearing it on my hand to see if it gives any interesting effects that I could notice. Not only that I duplicated that ring for this character, but I shared it with many many others, in whole different games (dont ask how, ok?).

By Danger Level (DL), Silfir meant that deeper levels are usually more dangerous than other. DL affects what monsters and items can be spawned, and corrution rate which you shouldnt worry about yet. For instance, D8 has danger level of 8. Other dungeons have less uniform DLs than the main cavern.

They appear as randomly as anything else, only less frequently. Found on floors, dropped from monsters, sold in shops. You have to be lucky. End of story.

P.S. Just as I posted this, I noticed that you made another post here in the meantime. Wish I could help with wands of wonder but I never used them. They force you to cast a random spell, I guess. And maybe they add a little to your spell knowledge too? Or was that only with potions of wonder?

mdrew93
07-07-2008, 02:52 AM
oh. i knew it was a wand of wonder because i have the andy williams adom guide book and it tells you what they are and what they appear as. pretty handy.

what is your best race/ class combonation ever? i was just wondering because i think that drakelings have a huge advantage over the other races because they can spit and it just makes them hungry! once you get to the arena level you can just buy a ton of cooked lizards and keep yourself satiated or bloated and kill everyone with acid! they also have a nice carry capacity and they can learn magic well, so what are the big disadvantages?:confused:

LFk
07-07-2008, 04:54 AM
oh. i knew it was a wand of wonder because i have the andy williams adom guide book and it tells you what they are and what they appear as. pretty handy.

what is your best race/ class combonation ever? i was just wondering because i think that drakelings have a huge advantage over the other races because they can spit and it just makes them hungry! once you get to the arena level you can just buy a ton of cooked lizards and keep yourself satiated or bloated and kill everyone with acid! they also have a nice carry capacity and they can learn magic well, so what are the big disadvantages?:confused:

Wands of wonder force you to cast a random spell. Note that unlike normal wands, this actually uses your power points, so be careful if you're counting on casting another spell immediately afterwards.

Using the wand also adds a small amount of spell knowledge, so you can cast that spell a few more times. I find Potions/Wands of Wonder to be very handy for melee types that are not able to learn spells from a book for the entire game (or close to it). It enables you to have a few utility spells to get out of a jam (Darkness, Teleport, Invisibility, etc.), and picking up a few bolt/ball spells also can help.

The Drakeling spit IS a very useful tool for helping you to survive, and is a reason why they are a very good class for early game survivability, but I don't think lizards are sufficient to supply enough food to kill *everything* with it. Remember that a high dexterity is needed to hit high DV monsters at all with it, and more importantly that relying on one type of attack will run you into trouble. For example, running to acid resistant monsters would make the spit powerless. Thus, it is far wiser to train weapon & spell skills, and use things such as spit as a utility for monsters that a weapon could not take down.

Note that any class can gain the spit ability through corruption, so if you truly love it you will eventually have it :) However, i don't know if the damage dice or the to-hit calculations are the same, and that the spit in general misses a great deal in the late game (as well as annoyingly forcing you to consume more food).

Drakelings face special problems throughout the game that require some careful planning to circumvent them. If you wish to be spoiled on these, you can look through the guidebook you have in the section about the ToEF. D:49 and Greater White Dragon vaults are other examples.

>>"what is your best race/ class combonation ever?"

The best race/class combination is something that will never really be answered. It depends on individual play style as much as each class' actual potential.

Races have a comparatively smaller impact than class. There is no individual race that is regarded as particularly challenging, under normal circumstances. Specific exceptions exist, for example, Trolls going for an ultra ending (they gain levels far more slowly, and certain quests have high level requirements). In addition, Trolls start out powerful, but low Le and exp rates can get frustrating and limit access to useful class powers. Many think Hurthlings' low strength at the beginning can be a hassle, but grab a pile of rocks. So yes, the Drakeling spit power helps early game survivability greatly, but on the whole i would be just as thankful that they train in the ever-useful Alertness.

In my personal opinion, the three elven classes in the game make for the most powerful combinations. Elven Wizards, in particular, are the most powerful casters, though fragile at the early stages of the game. Hybrid fighter/caster classes, therefore, address this issue. Elven Paladins start out with great equipment, advance in weapon skills rapidly, and later on learn spells with ease with the exception of wish as they are a fighting class that has concentration/literacy/high Le. Thus they get my vote for the most powerful race/class combination in the game when looking at early, mid, and late game.

Wizards are often named as a very easy class with *any* race (even trollish wizards can rely on melee in the early game, and cast just as well later). Rangers start out with a fantastic skill set, and Barbarians and Beastfighters are excellent brute force melee PCs.

Merchants and Farmers are classes that are generally regarded as difficult. Necromancers are particularly fragile as well.

ADOM did not intend to make all races and classes equal, but there is always something that a given race or class can do well and it just might happen to be that you like it a lot. So if you find that the spit makes the game that much easier for you... then awesome!

Silfir
07-07-2008, 10:59 AM
Rings of djinni summoning are not always ordinary rings. I had them as onyx rings once, and I had a number of games where I found an ordinary ring ridiculously early, only to later find out that indeed, they were not rings of djinni summoning. Sometimes the game just loves to fuck with you.

There are a lot of extremely powerful race/class combos. In my opinion, orcish barbarians and high elven archers especially are EXTREMELY easy to play early on, and stay enormously powerful with what they do even in the late game (missile attacks are overpowered in ADOM).

Siriah
07-07-2008, 11:15 AM
The early-game awesomeness of drakelings is balanced out by their special problems in the Tower of Eternal Flames. Sure, it's manageable, but all the other races can pop in there with no inventory and wearing only fireproof equipment, if they have to. Drakelings, not so much, unless they have lots of expendable healing spells.

Rings of Wish will always appear as Ordinary Ring. The first such ring that I found, I was wearing it on my hand to see if it gives any interesting effects that I could notice. Not only that I duplicated that ring for this character, but I shared it with many many others, in whole different games (dont ask how, ok?).
Not always, I've found ordinary rings that turned out to be rings of slaying. It's a pretty safe bet though.

Molach
07-07-2008, 11:45 AM
I think djinni summoning, slaying, damage and fire are in the same group. They can all be ordinary, adamantium, opal and onyx.

Examining the old savegame of "cicero" show that djinni rings was indeed, ordinary. But I know I have seem adamantium ring as a djinni ring too.

Ars
07-07-2008, 03:35 PM
In my current game ordinary ring is damage ring. But can you put a djinni ring into the tool slot? If so that would be a good way to find out - if it shows on the list when filling the tool slot, it's a djinni ring.

Grey
07-07-2008, 04:34 PM
In my current game ordinary ring is damage ring. But can you put a djinni ring into the tool slot? If so that would be a good way to find out - if it shows on the list when filling the tool slot, it's a djinni ring.

Tested, and no, RoDSes cannot be put in the tool slot. Of course another way of checking if it's an RoDS or not is to bless it and try using it - if you get a wish it's an RoDS :P A further method is to put it in a ring slot and see if it changed your damage. Rings of fire are very rare, so if it's not damage or slaying then it's quite likely RoDS.

From what I've heard item appearances are randomised based on the material they're made of. AoLSes are often steel and RoDSes are often ordinary, but they can be different in any game (thus leading you to get excited when you find such an item and it turns out to be just an amulet of balance or a ring of damage).

Note that any class can gain the spit ability through corruption, so if you truly love it you will eventually have it :) However, i don't know if the damage dice or the to-hit calculations are the same, and that the spit in general misses a great deal in the late game (as well as annoyingly forcing you to consume more food).

Misses? Nah. You sometimes get a message about the foo partially evading the spit, but they still take damage. And the spit does do quite a bit of damage by the end game. However high PV monsters are very hard to take down (greater molochs are impossible in fact, and ASB needs some extreme preparation). Acid immune creatures are obviously impossible too - the worst being grey oozes and ochre jellies. And it doesn't get faster or stronger with use like missiles or melee, nor is it improved by Talents or stats (apart from St, which increases range only), so it really is just a thing to use early on in difficult situations. Still, it is possible to beat the whole game with just acid spitting - you can see some details of this and the spit damage dice here (http://www.adom.de/forums/showthread.php?t=304).

LFk
07-07-2008, 04:44 PM
Misses? Nah. You sometimes get a message about the foo partially evading the spit, but they still take damage. here (http://www.adom.de/forums/showthread.php?t=304).

Right, partially evades is what i meant. But really? I seem to recall it getting evaded a lot for me by the late game, though I only used spit very infrequently at that stage. I might just be mistaken.

The ToEF is very manageable if you get herbalism. Spenseweeds help a LOT.

Silfir
07-07-2008, 04:52 PM
Rings of fire are definitely not any rarer than rings of djinni summoning. Also, if you find your ordinary ring in places above D:8, or anything but the bottom levels of the early game dungeons (not including the UD, which has high enough danger level), you can be pretty sure that it's not a RoDS.

Amulets of life saving have a much lower danger level. Usually I am excited every time I find a steel, iron or platinum amulet, because these are the kinds of amulet that were AoLS for me once.

Interestingly, the wand of wishing ALWAYS seems to be a glowing wand.

Molach
07-07-2008, 05:05 PM
Mithril ring is always ring of ice.

I'll suggest the hypothesis that rings of damage, fire, djinni and slaying are all made of adamantium.
Ice is made of mithril, and only one.
And glowing wands are made of eternium, only kind of eternium wands.