PDA

View Full Version : Really noob question about ToEF.

mdrew93
07-06-2008, 02:15 AM
How do you get into the Tower of Eternal Flames? i always get burnt to a crisp! do you just need to have like a million hp so you never die?

Subconscious
07-06-2008, 06:10 AM
You need fireproof equipment and high fire resistance/immunity. Being experienced enough is also a merit, those who live in the tower are not weak.

DeSt
07-06-2008, 08:57 AM
You need more than one source of fire resistance(3 for 1 damage per action, 4 to receive no damage) or fire immunity.

Easiest sources of fire resistance: fire beetle corpse, ring of fire resistance, elemental gaunlets(guaranteed artifact), black torc(another guaranteed artifact).
crown of science(yet another guaranteed artifact) grant you fire immunity but not without drawbacks.

To protect backpack - fireproof blanket.
To protect worn equipment - blessed ring of ice or wear only eternium and artifact items(rings could be protected with a artefact gaunlets).

And remember: main problem in toef isn't fire damage.

Ars
07-06-2008, 09:46 AM
Ring of The High Kings also grants fire resistance.

Silfir
07-06-2008, 09:57 AM
Mithril and adamantium are immune to the equipment damage as well, as is anything that grants resistance or immunity to fire, even if made of iron or leather (I think?).

Intrinsic resistance from eating corpses or drinking pools counts as TWO sources of resistance, so if you have that (it's really not hard to get) you only need the elemental gauntlets and the ring of the High Kings and you're set. Get bracers of resistance and you can even forget about the ring of the High Kings.

And in the words of Morio at the Hall of Fame forums: A way to kill the wyrm is also recommended, yes.

Even if you have a ring of ice, do not make the mistake of wearing destructable equipment before you actually reach the top - Rings of ice, even if blessed, fail about 5% of the time, and everytime they fail your girdle of giant strength may be a goner (I lost two this way once - felt really, really stupid).

DeSt
07-06-2008, 10:25 AM
Even if you have a ring of ice, do not make the mistake of wearing destructable equipment before you actually reach the top - Rings of ice, even if blessed, fail about 5% of the time, and everytime they fail your girdle of giant strength may be a goner (I lost two this way once - felt really, really stupid).One blessed ring of ice, one fireproof blanket(at least uncursed), lucky, fate smile, ankh. And i never lost a single item.

Silfir
07-06-2008, 11:54 AM
Well, I did. Maybe you were lucky, maybe I was unlucky. It's an unnecessary risk either way.

Ars
07-06-2008, 02:40 PM
If one really needs the girdle or whatever against the wyrm, and doesn't want to risk it with the ice ring, it's good to have it in the backpack until the fight with the wyrm, so the time it's exposed is really short and the risk really small. Also Ankh helps quite a lot, as stated before.

Edit: Realized that Silfir actually said this in his first message already. But anyway.

vogonpoet
07-07-2008, 06:33 AM
One blessed ring of ice, one fireproof blanket(at least uncursed), lucky, fate smile, ankh. And i never lost a single item.

Well aren't you the lucky one :)

Even with a reasonably empty rucksack, and the aforementioned luck granting items, I once lost both my blessed fireproof blankets before top level of tower.

warheart
07-07-2008, 11:31 AM
One blessed ring of ice, one fireproof blanket(at least uncursed), lucky, fate smile, ankh. And i never lost a single item.

I always carry a couple of blankets (never had problems finding those) and a ring of ice (if available), but never ever use the ring and any items that could be destroyed until the fight versus ACW. And no, it's not because of the items geting destroyed, it's because I hate the ring of ice's message you get every single turn, so freaking annoying.

Silfir
07-07-2008, 01:00 PM
THAT too :) Similar to how I absolutely hate to use phase daggers for any prolonged period of time. I keep eternium daggers around for everyday use even if I rely on them to kill bosses for me.

DeSt
07-07-2008, 02:07 PM
Adom-sage removes those annoying messages in toef.

Grey
07-07-2008, 03:44 PM
You can even configure ADOM Sage to remove or modify any other messages in the game. Ah, so blissful... Anyway, I've had games where I've spent ages in the ToEF without any equipment problems, and others with almost identical chars that had all blankets burn up before finding the first stairs. The RNG can never be trusted.