PDA

View Full Version : Battle for Wesnoth

Silfir
07-16-2008, 03:23 PM
After I grew increasingly disappointed at the Dominions 3 demo (I know graphics don't make the game, but if you can make 3D graphics for battles that you can only watch anyway, you can make unit graphics you can actually keep apart from each other!) I did a little search for turn-based strategy games and found another one with a fantasy theme: Battle for Wesnoth (http://www.wesnoth.org/). I have to say, it's pretty addicting. You control fantasy-themed units on a hex grid and try to take out the enemy's leader (reminds me of chess). If a unit kills enough enemy units in battle, it can "level up" and become a superior version while healing itself fully. Strategy is about positioning your units so that they defend well - i. e. they are on favoured terrain (for instance, elves are hard to hit in forests while dwarves rock in mountains), and since there is a zone of control rule in the game, you can form battle lines so your enemy can't get past to take your villages or kill the weakened units you have retreated. Economy is extremely simple and pretty well tied-in with the focus on battle - the villages, which give you gold and upkeep, also heal units standing on them at the beginning of your turn. The game comes with a plethora of pretty engaging campaigns and a number of balanced maps, plus a random map generator (which is good for training matches against the admittedly weak AI, but will come out horribly imbalanced against a human opponent).

The gameplay is simple yet extremely deep in a strategy sense (apparently also well balanced, in the sense that there is no unit without a counter), in my eyes, and in contrast to Dominions 3 the graphics just plain work. Best of all, the game is free, just like ADOM!

If anyone wants to take a look at it, maybe we can play on the multiplayer server sometime ^^

Kato
07-16-2008, 03:39 PM
This looks pretty nifty...I absolutely love games like this. At home, the wife and I have been entranced with Fire Emblem lately. But this Wesnoth is free...so I will have to try it out sometime. Can't get it at work though...ahahaha. But thanks for the link..this looks pretty cool :)

mdrew93
07-20-2008, 10:52 PM
I LOVE BATTLE FOR WESNOTH!!! I have been playing it for like a year and am still amazed at how fun it still is! if you want a really good turn-based-strategy fantasy game you should get heroes of might and magic III. II was good to but III is the best! you control one or more heroes in diferent maps and each hero controls a group of magical beasts! the graphics are awesome, the gamplay is smooth, and it has a wide variety of difficulty levels. you can find it on Amazon.com for like $10 used. Buy heroes III complete! it has heroes III and both expansions, as well as a random map genorator, and a map editor! i bought it and it is way better than wesnoth in my opinion!

Grey
07-21-2008, 12:22 AM
Wow, too many exclamation marks...

I have heard before that Wesnoth is very good, with a lot of thoughtful strategy involved - keep meaning to give it a spin. I have a long list of games like that though :)

Tnx
07-22-2008, 08:29 PM
Silfir have you started playing on multiplayer yet? I played a bit of campaign and jumped into MP yesterday, my name on there is TNX, look for me :)

Shael
07-23-2008, 09:59 AM
battle for wesnoth...

I really like it, nice UI several campaings (under the burning sun is my favorite) and you can play online too...

Only addition i'd love to see in it was being able to play sort of a campaing on multiplayer..

as bit off topic

what about dominions i'd still love dominions I (priest prophets & pretenders) it has much much much more feeling than dominions 2 etc...

it might not have so much eye candy but then again people in this forum don't value that so high...

Silfir
07-23-2008, 11:58 AM
I'd really love to, Tnx! My Wesnoth name is Eskon (I had difficulty joining the official server at first, and Silfir ended up taken after I got disconnected, so this is what I go by now). Just enter my name in your friends list, and you should not have trouble finding me if I'm on (weekends only, though).

I've played Heroes III a lot, and it really is an excellent game - if only it wouldn't take AGES! Wesnoth matches are over quickly by comparison, even if both sides take their time (even a one on one on a small map can take hours if you play against me - don't worry, I'm using a timer now).

I like Wesnoth more than Heroes III and Dominions because it is so simple, yet allows for deep gameplay and many strategic and tactical options. The game just plain works for me. I can play quick practice matches against the AI, I can make my head spin with the challenge of the campaigns, and I can pitch my mind against other minds in online multiplayer with balanced gameplay allowing for many ways to play the different factions.

Multiplayer campaigns are in the works, by the way, if they don't already exist.

If enough people voice their interest, we could start a "Adom.de Forums Battle for Wesnoth Tournament"...

Tnx
07-25-2008, 04:40 AM
Yeah this game is great, there are a bunch of extra races you can play as that people have modded in (and balanced). I'll see you around on wesnoth silfir (hopefully).

Ars
07-25-2008, 06:05 PM
I played this a year back or so. Never got around to multiplayer then though. Maybe I'll try it now as I have some free time, some things have probably changed. Don't know if I'll try any of the campaigns now, just a some practice with computer and then maybe against humans.

theotherhiveking
07-26-2008, 11:34 PM
Yup, i first played it about a year ago.

Its a great game, very polished.

Silfir
07-29-2008, 10:48 PM
Now if only the servers would kindly stop being dead...

Tnx
08-02-2008, 08:22 AM
Yeah, tons of people are complaining about that on their forums. It really sucks because I had a really good party going on this one map called "The Fall Of Trent" and then everyone got disconnected... :\
\

Silfir
08-02-2008, 11:44 AM
The server is live again! The main page is up, but apart from the download links to sourceforge nothing yet works.