PDA

View Full Version : Offfftopic

yisk
08-10-2008, 06:52 PM
I know, that the European channels mainly speak about intrusion of the Russian armies into Georgia. And forget that war has begun with attack by the Georgian armies of city Tskhinvali where for one night was lost more than 2000 person of the peace population (by the way, the russian-speaking population). I am surprised, how much strong weapon became information war. The bald lie of the Saakashvili, support of USA... I am not going to agitate you here, I make statistics of public opinion. Simply write here, that you think in the given occasion or simply vote. Be not afraid to offend me.

Laukku
08-10-2008, 07:19 PM
I confess! It was me!! I did it!!! :)

Kato
08-11-2008, 05:04 PM
I voted I don't know simply because I haven't followed the issues in the area all that closely. All I really know now is that they are warring with each other and other nations and trying to take sides. *shrugs*

Silfir
08-11-2008, 06:02 PM
It's hard to form an educated opinion on this issue, as it gets low media attention... I'll have to look into it.

Generally there is a certain level of guilt on all sides of every issue. Of course, I have anything but a favorable view of Vladimir Putin, the de facto ruler of Russia at the moment. Democracy in Russia is not developing well, I think, though I must say that the situation in China is far worse.

Grey
08-11-2008, 07:10 PM
I think South Ossetia has gotten caught between bigger countries trying to prove who has the biger balls. Of course Georgia was wrong to invade it in the first place, but Russia was wrong with its hugely disproportionate retaliation and America are wrong to take such a one-sided view of things (anti-Ruski as ever - not without its reasons of course, but still a flawed view to take). Cheesy quote: there are no winners in war.

yisk
08-17-2008, 07:51 PM
Democracy in Russia is not developing wellYou wish to tell, democracy is an ideal thing for any society?

Grey
08-17-2008, 08:31 PM
Better than people achieving power through corrupt means, or through military superiority. Democracy, when run properly, gives a say to every citizen, reducing the ability for one person or group to attain too much power. Countries with less corrupt democracies tend to have better human rights records, better rights for citizens, better welfare systems, more equality, and a higher respect amongst other world nations. America is of course the big exception... ;)

yisk
08-17-2008, 09:03 PM
I mean, that many countries categorically are not ready for democracy. People should ripen for this thing _without help_.
If in the totalitarian country to spread democracy, it will necessarily degenerate in any terrible thing. The majority of the "cultural blessings", adopted from the West, at us have been transformed into nonsense or a nightmare.

Evil Knievel
08-26-2008, 11:53 PM
Whew, I hope all this is no foreshadowing. Really, this seems to turn to be dangerous. Foolishly dangerous.

Grey
08-27-2008, 02:06 AM
There's certainly some parallels with some happenings back in 1914... But really, I think the world has moved on quite a bit since then, and nothing too major will come of such a small situation. Still, for the people in Ossetia and Georgia it's a very difficult time. I wish the West and Russia would stop being so bull-headed and one-sided about the issue - no-one seems to be admitting that there are people suffering on both sides!

Evil Knievel
08-27-2008, 10:49 AM
Not now probably, but what can happen during the next 10 years? I don't feel the world being a safe place as it was maybe 10 years ago.

yisk
08-28-2008, 10:33 PM
Singers are czechs or slovaks (i understand about half of their words). English subtitles has not found. I do not know, whether you will understand humour. But it should be looked.)

Jozin z Bazin (Hedgehog from Swamps)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ruNijRWf-U