PDA

View Full Version : Shiren the Wanderer: Mystery Dungeon

Kato
08-11-2008, 07:20 PM
Soooooooo.....anyone out here have a DS? If so...then you really should get Shiren. It's a portable roguelike on your DS, complete with death and start over from the beginning. There are a few subtle changes though to make it more accessible to people that don't enjoy games that beat them silly for making a mistake (uumm...what roguelike doesn't?).

1) In the first town you start every new adventure in, there is a warehouse. You can store items in the warehouse for a future start. Find some awesome weapons or what not and don't want to lose them yet, then put them in the warehouse.
2) Any items that are in the warehouse are then identified automatically for you. No need to explain how helpful this can be.
3) When you die (and yes...WHEN you die), then you can make a request for a rescue.
3-A) Request a rescue through local DS wi-fi. In case your friends have the game and one of them wants to rescue you. Then your friend can send you a revival spell and even a gift from their warehouse if they desired.
3-B) Request a rescue through the password system. It gives you a password, someone else can enter the password on their game and attempt to rescue you. If they do succeed, then the game generates a new password that contains the revival spell. You enter the revival spell and you are back with possibly a gift from the person that rescued you.
3-C) Request a rescue online through the DS wi-fi services. These can be picked up and rescued by anyone at all or you can only allow your DS friends to rescue you.
4) When rescued, you get a revival spell. You start back on the floor that you died on with all of your stuff...as if you didn't die. But you can only be rescued 3 times and then you are done for good. Start over.
5) You can go online and pick up rescue requests and save other people just for fun! And you get some good prizes if you rescue people and improves your rank or something.
6) There a many items and effects and ways to improve your equipment and gear and protect yourself from status ailments and attacks. It's nowhere near as indepth as ADOM for instance, but for a DS roguelike, it has just the right amount of variability and ways to solve all kinds of situations. Specially when you run in to the monster houses *grin* Those are always a lot of fun to clear out.
7) The main/first dungeon has 30 floors. Doesn't seem like much? Well, there are 3 or 4 other dungeons that open up after you complete the first one. I guess one of them has 99 floors? Needless to say...the other dungeons are much harder to complete for one reason or another.

It's a roguelike...on the DS....and I have been IN LOVE with it. I finally beat the first dungeon last night. Felt good to say the least and the last final fight was fun. Staves of Pain Sharing are awesome :D I hope to get some time tonight to play some more and see how to unlock the other dungeons. There are lots of npc's with varying story lines that you have to help in your game. They can unlock better items or people or other little storage spots...all kinds of things. Blacksmiths can improve your weapons...you can meld and make weapons and armor stronger. It's just awesome.

I guess there are a few other roguelikes on the DS, but I have yet to play them. But they will soon be mine in due time. If anyone has this game or gets it...I'd love to help you out! I can help rescue you or vice versa...and send you some nice items to help start with. Or you can do it all yourself :D I've rescued 4 people so far...just random rescues that I pick up online and it's great. You can get some good items from helping rescue people, but it's certainly not easy. You die while trying to rescue someone...and all of that good equipment you may have taken with you is gone for no chance of a rescue yourself ;) But in this game...you get used to loosing some good equipment here and there ;)

Grey
08-12-2008, 12:29 AM
I tried Izuna on the DS before, hearing that it was good and hard etc, but it turned out to be horrendously easy with hateful characters and a ludicrously simple (and infuriating) item system. Kinda put me off DS roguelikes in general, but the one you're on about sounds a bit better.

Ever tried NetHack DS through an R4 card? I've heard it's extremely well implimented.

Kato
08-12-2008, 01:57 AM
Yeah...I heard that Izuna was pretty bad...specially compared to Shiren. I heard that Izuna was easier as you said too. You might check out Shiren...I picked it up for $20.00 and that was it. I'm interested in trying out Etrian Oddysey I think is what it is called. I have heard that the original and the sequel were both good.

Never tried Nethack...but I don't have an R4. Also. I have played Nethack on the pc of course...and it pales in comparison to ADOM. I don't like games that just kill you because it can. ADOM kills you and 95% of the time, it could have been prevented or something. Nethack would just kill you...and that killed the game for me.

Edit: Also...if you are really good at ADOM, then some parts of Shiren may come easy to you. But I've only just completed the first dungeon and haven't even tried the others to be able to give you an idea of how much the difficulty ramps up from there.