PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another Stupid Action

Baranor
03-11-2008, 04:38 PM
We have all heard of YASD (Yet Another Stupid Death). There's another topic devoted to that. But for this one, I wanted to share dumb things that we have done that have not resulted in death, but in something seriously negative happening to the character. This was brought up for me when I was about to enter the ToEF last night. I didn't have a =oI so I thought to myself, "Self, you should take off the good non-artifact items you have and put them in your pack where they will be protected by your blessed fireproof blankets." I decided I also should check whether I was resistant enough to not be damaged by the tower itself. I duck in the front door wait a couple turns to ensure that I'm not being damaged and right as I'm about to leave, I realize that I had failed to take off my items! Why, you ask? Was it because my arrows got burned? No. My eternium boots of which I had another pair in my pack? No. Or the myriad of other things that I had plenty of? No. It was my lovely wish-aquired Girdle of Giant Strength. DOH!

My anger was assuaged when I proceeded to run up the tower naked as the day I was born and bust some Wyrm tail.

Sradac
03-11-2008, 10:47 PM
haha...im not sure if this is possible anymore but back in like...gamma 9.8 or something like that i had a monk use circle kick, he had 3 enemies around him, but i forgot I was next to an altar. Kicked the altar and what do you know all my gear was cursed!

Dougy
03-12-2008, 05:58 AM
Yes, I can confirm your classification of those actions. (:

ZeroTheBird
03-12-2008, 08:46 AM
when i had the requirements to go down the rift i thought of course "lets drop all my stuff at barbarians"
but after much hack and slash and when i finally got there i forgot it and went down immediately!
all non-artifact items equipped (like giant strength/Cloak of defense/etc) destoryed :(

Laukku
03-12-2008, 01:36 PM
I realize that I had failed to take off my items! Why, you ask? Was it because my arrows got burned? No. My eternium boots of which I had another pair in my pack? No. Or the myriad of other things that I had plenty of? No. It was my lovely wish-aquired Girdle of Giant Strength. DOH!

The girdle was the reason you couldn't take off your items? o_O

Baranor
03-12-2008, 03:08 PM
The burning of the girdle was how I realized that I had failed to take off my items. :(

ZeroTheBird
03-14-2008, 09:19 AM
i tried to get to the secret room in dwarf town. i used a wand of destruction. ALERT! ALERT! HOSTILE ENEMIES APPROACHING! ESCAPE!

Smite
05-06-2008, 09:42 AM
On a recent visit to the Animated Forrest I was surrounded by several hostile Animated Trees. I was making no ground (literally), and so I quickly confirmed that all 8 of the P's were in fact hostile.

Yes they were!

Can you tell what's coming?

Out came the wand of fireballs..........

suffice is to say, that was a bad idea

Silfir
05-06-2008, 01:16 PM
How about my high elven fighter on D:48?

"Well, this blue underscore certainly looks like it is supposed to hold the mana orb, since mana is blue. I shall ignore the annoying 'are you sure' message and go on my jolly way!"

You are corrupted. You suddenly sprout horns! Your muscles stiffen slowing you down.

"OH SHIT THAT WAS THE WATER ORB SLOT WHAT THE FUCK!!!"

Needless to say, the extra mana didn't help my fighter jack shit.

The same character got his equipment turned to dust twice - both times equipped with full quality gear, including seven leagues. Despite having found two pairs rather early, I ended up having to wish for them. All because I wanted to use altars for alignment change...

I still never did quite as badly with a character I managed to win with.

Macros
05-06-2008, 01:26 PM
All because I wanted to use altars for alignment change...

SPOILER

You can prevent penalties from dealing with altars(changing aligment, changing altar colour), by wearing only artifacts while doing it. It means, that in your inventory, you can have equiped artifacts, and artifacts only(even single si will be fine).

Silfir
05-06-2008, 01:41 PM
Well, DUH.

The fact that I knew that already at the time makes it ALL THE MORE PAINFUL. I felt like an ultranoob the first time, and like the greatest idiot on earth the goddamned second time.

warheart
05-06-2008, 02:40 PM
Well, although it didn't have any negative effects in the end, what I did could have killed my wizard. I was killing some monsters when a kobold shaman happened to drop his corpse. So, having curarias in my inventory, I thought I would eat him for some pps/mana. The funny thing is I didn't notice I was already satiated, and eating the corpse got me to bloated, thus not being able to eat the herb. Luckily I had cure light wounds spell and could survive the sickness by spamming heals and waiting till I wasn't bloated anymore :P

Nezur
05-06-2008, 04:39 PM
I eat those even when I don't have herbs or healing spells. :)

gut
05-06-2008, 07:42 PM
I've got a pretty good recent blunder. I was doing
a limited turns challenge, and going quite nicely. I
was on the Mana Temple level, and ready to fight
the Archmage. All I had to do, was fight my way
through a simple tension room, and I was good to
go.

So I thought to save turns, I would stand right in
front of the door when I opened it. Not at an angle,
like any player with an 'above room temperature IQ'
would. I thought it would allow me to bolt the
monsters to death more efficiently. I suppose I
(somehow) forgot, that some monsters actually bolt
back.

When I opened the door, there was a whole room
full of named Great Black Wyrms. They raced to
see who would be the one to melt me first. I think
the one who walked away with the title, was named
Sreisoerjhvxhiyuhointsshuenelsowq. Or something.

Elone
05-06-2008, 09:47 PM
I always rofl when, instead of pickpocketing someone, I blast them to bits with a <bolt of choice>. My spell/skill shortcuts are similar.

gut
05-07-2008, 03:03 AM
That's kind of like when I repeatedly press 'a' and 'e'
buttons, to continually apply the first aid skill while
poisoned. Sometimes I wind up pressing 'e' then 'a',
thereby shoving a blessed stomafillia (or some other
such strange food item) down my throat.

Elone
05-07-2008, 03:28 AM
I realised that my stupidests actions come from my impatience, when I leave things to keyboard repeat rate, or when I try to input commands too quickly.

Oh I remember another stupid action. I dipped a stack of rings into Exchange, and got 19 ordinary rings, but was thinking of something else and I polymorphed them further. After I did that, I looked back at the message buffer, and I felt very, very sad.

Grey
05-07-2008, 08:02 AM
That's kind of like when I repeatedly press 'a' and 'e'
buttons, to continually apply the first aid skill while
poisoned. Sometimes I wind up pressing 'e' then 'a',
thereby shoving a blessed stomafillia (or some other
such strange food item) down my throat.

Because I pickpocket a lot I've found it's incredibly useful to quick mark the skills, because far too often you'll get a new skill and attempting to pickpocket will end up trying to apply some skill and then killing the monster. First Aid I always quick mark to 1, and pickpocketing 4 - makes it easier to remember them every game, and hurts the hands less from stretched fingers. Of course pressing '1a' will result in moving before trying to apply a skill, but that quickly loops back to the normal sequence of applying first aid.

gut
05-07-2008, 10:10 AM
You quick mark the first aid skill? How many times
do you use first aid in a game? I use it somewhere
between seldom and never, and I play elves! Of
course that probably explains why I stand a good
chance of goofing it, if I do try to use it!

What does it help against really? If I'm poisoned, a
few HP's one way or the other is not likely to make
a difference. To me, surviving poison means having
the resistance, a spell, a close-by healer, or an herb.
Yes, first aid is worth a shot, if you have nothing
else. I think it's rare for it to make the difference
though.

I don't think it helps against sickness, except to
further train a uselss skill. As far as using it in battle,
I don't think that's wise. I mean, if a monster takes
major HP's in one round, I'm not going to waste my
following turn applying first aid. I'm going to get out
of there, or heal myself properly.

Starhawk
05-07-2008, 12:30 PM
First Aid can save a low-level character who doesn't have the herbs, potions, or spells to remove sickness or poisoning. Beyond that point, I don't continue to use it.

Grey
05-07-2008, 01:12 PM
After the early game I don't use it. But in the beginning, especially if you don't have healing, it's handy to use. In particular it's handy to keep using it initially so you can train it up, so that when you do get poisoned it will help. I've had it save my life on numerous occasions when poisoned without resistance, and it can help in long fights at the start where you're swapping low damage attacks with high pv monsters.

Admittedly I normally only quick mark it with characters I use pick pocketing a lot with (since pick pocketing is more important to quick mark).

gut
05-07-2008, 06:07 PM
Maybe I am underestimating it, but if given a
choice between starting with the first aid skill,
or an extra ~100 gold pieces, I would happily
take the gold. In fact, I would take fifty for it,
and I'll throw in 'haggling' to boot.

It has saved a few *very rare* PC's of mine
also, so I can't bad-mouth it too bad : ) It's
just so rarely useful, I would be happier with
something (anything!) else instead. Same for
gardening, metalurgy, and so on.

Elone
05-07-2008, 08:06 PM
First Aid is a nice, free skill which you can use on many of your free turns during your game. It's worth marking. I mark it too.

Skills get marked like this, in every game:
1 = first aid
2 = pickpocket
4 = cooking
6 = herbalism
0 = alchemy
and other numbers are for extra skills.

Spells:
1 = healing spell
2 = bolt spell (including Dray)
3 = ball spell
4 = farsight
5 = teleport (it's easy to do 'esc55')
6 = uncurse, identify, invisibility
7 = strength of atlas or great identify
8 = misc spells that arent needed all the time, light, darkness, magic map, and others
9 = mystic shovel, petrify, slow monster

And so I dont have to learn new layouts for all spells and skills that I learn in every new game that I start.

head2
05-07-2008, 08:39 PM
Another promising character killed by the ACW. =(

I had lots of extra/ultra healing potions but i was dumb and wanted to save my potions. So ACW bolted me to death with his energy-ray after laughing at my pathetic attempts with wands of cold.

Level 24 gnomish merchant, he had some very nice gear. I'm too impatient i guess ~~

p.s. I had pickpocketing and first aid marked as 1 and 2

#########
#.......#
#...>.#.############# #############
#.....#.............# #...........# ##
#########...........###...........# .# #.
#...........#.&.W.@.......# .#...
####### #...........#.#.......E...#############......
#.....# #.............#..............(...&#37;...........
#.....###............########/################.......
#...../.............#.## #.# ##.....
#.....################.######/# .##..
#.....# ##.......# .#
####### #.......# ##
#.......#
#########

Kahvinjuoja St:24 Le:26 Wi:41 Dx:21 To:30 Ch:44 Ap:12 Ma:26 Pe:21 N=
DV/PV:129/39 H:-48(315) P:72(187) Exp: 24/978922 TF: 4 Sp: 106
Blessed Invisible Burdened Coward

Grey
05-08-2008, 05:38 AM
Wands of cold on the ACW? Not exactly the best of tactics in my books... Better to use wands of acid with some elementals in the way acting as a buffer. The elementals will shrug them off a lot whilst the ACW gets heavily damaged.

head2
05-08-2008, 07:45 AM
Wands of cold on the ACW? Not exactly the best of tactics in my books... Better to use wands of acid with some elementals in the way acting as a buffer. The elementals will shrug them off a lot whilst the ACW gets heavily damaged.
Yeah, i used them as a buffer, but i zapped wands of cold, i also had acid wands but i wasn't aware that they would shrug off the acid bolts more often. Well, at least i learned something ^^

Damn i liked that character, bought Preserver amulet from the HMV-shop (~14400 gp). Got protector shield from a surge of power in the Tomb of the high kings before the cavernous levels. And found whirlwind sling from a lesser vault (random drop).

Not to mention that i saved Khelavaster and didn't kill a single cat.

New character->

gut
05-08-2008, 09:46 AM
> i wasn't aware that they would shrug off the acid bolts more often.

The bolts get shrugged off at about the same rate,
regardless of what type they are. The ACW isn't as
good at shrugging of bolts in general, as the demons
and especially grues. If you use a wand of cold, it
will kill your 'meat shields' very quickly, as they are
especially vulnerable to cold. One or two hits with
frost bolts, and they are gone.

The ACW himself, is not especially vulnerable to
cold. You may as well use the most damaging bolt
you have at your disposal, which is acid. In fact,
I usually start with poison, if I have it, it's the
gift that keeps on giving : ) Stun rays are extremely
effective against the ACW, and should be used
when you are down to only one 'meat shield'.
When you successfully stun (paralyze works too)
the ACW, THEN use the cold wands.

Orbic
05-08-2008, 03:30 PM
YASA!

Even in a hurry do not Shift + Q Enter Enter... instead of Shift+S :(

Here goes this nice gray elven Archer, LVL 32, 2 orbs, Wyrmlance and Skullcrusher, Sun's Messenger, Saved Kevo, Robes of resistance, Preserver...

Bah I'll try an orc next game.

Maul
05-08-2008, 06:56 PM
I just had a level 20 gnomish wizard who encountered a greater mimic. I started bolting him, when it came next to me. What did I do?
-Scrambled in my pack looking for a -Para item?
-Teleported away?
-Made myself invisible?
-Teleported the mimic away?

No. I casted Burning Hands again, hoping it will kill the mimic. It didn't.:mad: