PDA

View Full Version : How did you find ADOM?

the_spy
03-12-2008, 07:38 AM
How did you find this marvelous game and how long ago was it?
I myself found a floppy disk with one of the first versions of adom while I was looting through some old computer stuff that my sisters new husband had left me. At first I didn't get the game at all because it just looked weird but when I figured it out my friend and I really started playing it. Thou I didn't get past level 18 with my incredibly stupid troll barbarian at first I still had loads of fun. I was about 11 then. I've actually never played through the game but I'm still trying :D

Dougy
03-12-2008, 07:54 AM
Really drunk at a friends house!!! "Hey, got any games??" My first action was to use a "wooden stick" as a weapon. Haha! "Take that you stupid goblin!!"

Dorten
03-12-2008, 08:15 AM
Not much to say there.
I learned about ADOM from this thread (http://www.old-games.ru/forum/showthread.php?t=19659) at Old-Games.ru

(If this counts as promoting of other forum, i'll delete the link)

ZeroTheBird
03-12-2008, 08:50 AM
_~-"Google"-~_

Nezur
03-12-2008, 08:58 AM
A friend told me it's fairly nice despite its ASCII graphics. I already had it on my computer but I hadn't realized how good a game it actually was.

spectre
03-12-2008, 09:41 AM
I think it was around 1997 when I saw an article about roguelikes in some game mag.
They featured a number of roguelikes there, and ADOM was the only one to really catch my fancy.

Macros
03-12-2008, 10:36 AM
In 1998, I founded article about roguelike games in Polish computer mag "Gambler"(R.I.P), and Adom was one of roguelikes that was interviewed there. Also, on magazine CD I founded Adom 0.9.9 gamma 9(I think), and that's how it started.

spectre
03-12-2008, 10:47 AM
Yep, the god old days. The ramblings of Uchański will be missed. And so will be Piekara (-:

neko
03-12-2008, 12:38 PM
At some point in time people suddenly stopped playing quake at school, and as far as i can tell, spontaneously started playing adom. Apparenly someone left it on a shared network drive and people were dumb enough to run anything they find :)
I tried it too, and i'm still playing it semi regularly with no cheatless victories yet. 8-9 years? has it been so long since gamma15?

theotherhiveking
03-12-2008, 12:58 PM
I was just looking for linux game and i found it in google.

Grey
03-12-2008, 03:06 PM
Back when I was in high school someone told me to check it out, so I downloaded the newly available G10 for my Amiga 1200. I'd already played Hack and Omega to a certain extent, and was impressed by how nice the graphics looked in this roguelike. As soon as I read the manual I was hooked - the level of complexity is exactly the sort of thing I love in RPGs.

At one point I had a RAM problem on my Amiga and was down to just 2 MB. Had to modify my kernel file to cut out a lot of modules from the OS so I could free up enough RAM to still play ADOM. Ah, those were the days...

Baranor
03-12-2008, 03:47 PM
I started playing in high school when my friend recommended rogue-like games. I started playing Rogue and thought it was dumb. He showed me ADOM and I was hooked. 10 years later it's still the first thing I load on a computer and something that I play in my down times.

theacidrainman
03-12-2008, 05:03 PM
I did a search for NetHack, and I came across a forum with a list of similar games. ADOM was one of the games on the list and, well, here I am.

Worst Player... ever
03-12-2008, 06:19 PM
It was about 1997, and I had the holy grail of jobs. Something where I had my own office and did absolutely nothing all day. So I spent a whole bunch of time searching for small games that I could fit on a floppy disk and install on my home computer (since I didn't have the internet at home back then). I found some real gems, actually... it's been very rare that I've bought a commercial PC game since that era.

Anyway, in my travels I eventually found Rogue, then NetHack (which was my game of choice for a while), and finally ADOM. I saw the screen of where it shows your skills, which was an absurd amount of detail at that time for an RPG, and I knew that I was home. :)

Tian
03-12-2008, 07:54 PM
I found ADOM in www.dosgames.com, a few years ago (4 years or so...). I was looking for some little games wich could work on my freaking old PC (I have a new one right now :) )...

the_spy
03-13-2008, 10:46 AM
It's funny how long I've been trying to beat the game and I still haven't played through it even if I have had some pretty decent characters, corruption and greed have always been my worst enemies :rolleyes:

Mad Minstrel
03-13-2008, 01:46 PM
A guy in high school told me about this game, it was 1998 or 1999 I think, but I can't remember exactly.
I managed to win 4 times during 10 years, not bad huh? ;)

EmptyOne
03-13-2008, 05:10 PM
I first found it 10 or 12 years ago (pre 1.0). I had played some other Rogue-likes and was looking for something new. I loved it then, but wasn't patient to deal with all the bugs.

Found it again just a couple of months ago.

Sradac
03-14-2008, 02:34 PM
download.com! Went on it and searched for "Free RPG's" and look what I found , ADOM! Along with the old Omega and Alpha-Man. Those were some fun roguelikes also, too bad they died off heh.

Epythic
03-14-2008, 04:20 PM
A friend of mine told me about it. Five years ago? Maybe more. I had no internet at that time.