PDA

View Full Version : Do you believe in JADE?

tail__
09-03-2008, 07:13 PM
Do you believe JADE will be completed at all? Or maybe it's just a superstition? Which will happen sooner: JADE, or Armageddon? Or none? Or maybe it's the same thing?

vogonpoet
09-04-2008, 10:59 AM
I bElEIvE iN tHe CrEaToR.

/TiA

Shael
09-04-2008, 03:17 PM
Hey sure Jade will come (during my lifetime) anyway im still waiting for duke nukem forever.. (and the wait seems forever)

Orbic
09-04-2008, 05:00 PM
Please define "soon" ;)

tail__
09-04-2008, 05:27 PM
Well, let's define this as "before I get old". If you feel old already, understand it as "before I die".

Grey
09-04-2008, 06:18 PM
I think there could have done with some differentiation between say "a release in the next couple of years" and "before I die" :) I chose the soon thing regardless though, because you can't always be a complete cynic about things...

yisk
09-05-2008, 03:44 PM
First variant, i'm assured.

Silfir
09-05-2008, 06:05 PM
If you define "finished" as "first playable version released", I expect it to happen quite soon.

If you define "finished" as "version 1.0.0" released, no. Not ever. Sorry, I'm just not THAT optimistic.

But even the first playable version would be frickin' sweet. Dwarf Fortress has not even reached the 0.3 stage and it's already awesome.

Sintaluva
09-09-2008, 05:11 PM
I voted "will be finished soon", "soon" meaning in 10 years time, and "finished" meaning a playable stable version with only a few fixable bugs...

Sradac
09-15-2008, 03:39 AM
well i used to believe in jade, but it looks like the project died again. TB probably got bored with it. First week of august he said he would be gone for 4 weeks, its the middle of september and we havent even heard a "Hey im back" update on his blog. Oh well.

Covenant
09-16-2008, 02:15 PM
I've got to admit... I'm not hopeful. I've started my own share of projects and never finished them, so I know how easy it is to abandon things.

I think the secret is to do a little every day, even if it's just setting aside half an hour. Posting about what's done, even in that half an hour, would also probably lift spirits here (I'm thinking of Toady's dev blog from Dwarf Fortress).

King Moila
09-20-2008, 09:30 PM
2020:
JADE? Oh yeah, that's the game that will be released at Christmas, right?

ty5479
09-22-2008, 05:45 AM
well i used to believe in jade, but it looks like the project died again. TB probably got bored with it. First week of august he said he would be gone for 4 weeks, its the middle of september and we havent even heard a "Hey im back" update on his blog. Oh well.

yeah, Thats also my big worry. He's almost been gone for two months. Hopefully he didn't die in Death Valley. I'm really looking forward to JADE. I wish he was a bit more active with his site though. Especially knowing he has dedicated fans.

omega_red
09-22-2008, 04:55 PM
I used to believe, but now.. who knows :(

Silfir
09-23-2008, 12:20 AM
Toady develops Dwarf Fortress full-time, as it pays for itself in donations. Thomas doesn't have that luxury, sadly.

Sradac
09-23-2008, 01:51 AM
He gets post cards. Why dosent he set up a donation thing? Adom has been around longer than dwarf fortress.

ty5479
09-23-2008, 01:56 AM
He gets post cards. Why dosent he set up a donation thing? Adom has been around longer than dwarf fortress.

It's possible he doesn't want to do donations because then he'd feel obligated to work on it. Much like the Alex who makes Noctis IV( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noctis ).

But all we can do is hope he's really working hard on JADE and just too busy to update the site.

Grey
09-23-2008, 02:55 AM
More likely because he's CEO of his own company and earns far far more than we could ever pay him in donations.

electric_wizard
10-06-2008, 09:43 AM
I have to say, after 10 years of waiting i'm begining to loose faith.

The first time I played ADOM, the JADE website was brand new. I remember thinking it would probably take a while but I would never have guessed I would still be waiting 10 years later. In fact, I'd never of guessed that I'd even care 10 years later!

Oh well. What ever will be will be. Maybe TB will get renewed enthusiasm somehow (as he seems to most years around christmas time).

I'd love to se it released but I wouldn't blame the guy if he didn't. 10 years is a long time to maintain interest in a project.

ty5479
10-06-2008, 10:08 PM
I have to say, after 10 years of waiting i'm begining to loose faith.

The first time I played ADOM, the JADE website was brand new. I remember thinking it would probably take a while but I would never have guessed I would still be waiting 10 years later. In fact, I'd never of guessed that I'd even care 10 years later!

Oh well. What ever will be will be. Maybe TB will get renewed enthusiasm somehow (as he seems to most years around christmas time).

I'd love to se it released but I wouldn't blame the guy if he didn't. 10 years is a long time to maintain interest in a project.

I had no idea ADOM or the JADE idea has been around that long. Now I really don't expect it =(. Do you guys know of any other good rouge-like. I've played Nethack, DoomRL, and a little bit of TOME.

Silfir
10-06-2008, 11:00 PM
Dwarf Fortress? I've never touched the Adventure mode, which is the actual roguelike, but it seems to have a damage system that doesn't use HP, but is much more realistic and remarkably gory. Apart from that, as far as roguelikes go, ADOM is pretty much the best I've played.

(Dwarf Fortress is only a sub title; the game has the full title "Slaves to Armok: God of Blood II" or something, which is, to be honest, a pretty dumb title, though it does have a pretty badass ring to it)

priomsrb
10-10-2008, 01:01 AM
Well if jade was open-source at this point, then we could have had other developers working on it when TB was gone. Then when the engine neared completion TB could have created a closed source version the actual jade game.

I presume TB does not want us to see what his engine source looks like nor does he want us to know the secrets of the games.

ty5479
10-12-2008, 06:50 AM
Well if jade was open-source at this point, then we could have had other developers working on it when TB was gone. Then when the engine neared completion TB could have created a closed source version the actual jade game.

I presume TB does not want us to see what his engine source looks like nor does he want us to know the secrets of the games.

Maybe if he doesnt want to pick it up. We can ask him to release the code as open source or even the adom source =P.

psy_wombats
10-12-2008, 12:24 PM
I highly doubt that. I'd say the only chance of the ADOM source coming out is the completion of JADE, not just JADE in a state like ADOM is now. And even so, I wouldn't say TB's given up yet.

ty5479
10-12-2008, 06:23 PM
I highly doubt that. I'd say the only chance of the ADOM source coming out is the completion of JADE, not just JADE in a state like ADOM is now. And even so, I wouldn't say TB's given up yet.

Yeah very true. Probably as likely as Microsoft releasing their Windows 7 source. My only worry is the fact he has been gone sense august 1st and we're almost half way through October. Maybe we'll get lucky and he's locked him self in a room coding JADE and will magically pop out with a beta release by x-mas.

psy_wombats
10-12-2008, 10:52 PM
I predict he'll be back with an update or two around Christmas, but not a beta... I assume he's just very busy.

ScooterSkittles
10-13-2008, 08:55 AM
I suspect a beta will be released suddenly. But while it will lack many features and be somewhat unplayable, it will churn and stimulate more development because of community involvement, input, and reaction.

Laukku
10-13-2008, 02:29 PM
I suspect a beta will be released suddenly.

Maybe on next April 1st? ;) Just imagine everyone thinking "Nah, this is just a joke... Wait, it isn't?!" :)

Zephyr
10-27-2008, 03:28 PM
Well, I think it's probably just typical programmer-psyche problems. You program something, and halfway through, think of a way to make it SOOO MUCH COOLER. Then, halfway through implementing that, you come up with a way to make it SOOO MUCH COOLER, then ....

Yeah, Maybe a beta, eventually. That'd be sooo cool, seriously! "Whatcha doin'?" "Playing JADE. OH YEAH!"

Silfir
10-31-2008, 09:58 AM
Being CEO of a software company and already having a very successful and well-made roguelike under his belt, I daresay Thomas Biskup knows a thing or two about project management. The main thing he is lacking is freetime.

Tian
11-14-2008, 08:44 PM
it?s been a long time since the last time i posted something, hehe...
i?ve been learning the basis of Java at the university(UNS, Argentina), stuff like sintax,inheritance,etc... using bluej... im close to holidays so, if thomas need some help, i could try helping him with some easy coding
:D

Chaine
11-28-2008, 09:01 PM
I don't believe in Jade anymore. I focus on what does exist. Dwarf Fortress seems a hundred times more advanced than JADE and actually does exist today. Once you learn it it's good fun.

adom-admin
12-09-2008, 06:21 AM
Oh well, yeah :-) I can assure you that boredom is not the problem. Still lacking the rich person financing JADE to free up my time rather is the problem ;-) I'm working at slow speed... but it's the best that is possible and nobody is more sorry about that than I am, believe me.

Sometimes it feels a bit like being a blind painter... damn.

vogonpoet
12-09-2008, 10:44 AM
Or a Zen Monk?

If Soirana can complete that challenge, I will believe anything is possible, even beta releases of JADE.

*support mode*

Go Thomas, you are clearly the most awesome of Roguelike programming Creators, otherwise why would we all still be here. We your awed fans shall continue to live in hope :) (even if the smileys on this forum are incredibly ugly --> :D).

<cheers>patientvogonpoet

Sradac
12-14-2008, 07:39 PM
ive been waiting for jade since like 1999 or 2000 I can wait another season, no big deal TB!

monocledsardine
12-16-2008, 11:09 AM
It's coming "soon". All the heretics that say otherwise (and perhaps even those sacrilegious agnostics who aren't sure) must be banished for blaspheming the Creator!

No, but seriously, JADE is coming along piece by piece, and TB will all of a sudden spring a beta out of his top hat one of these days (or years, actually).

F50
01-16-2009, 06:42 PM
Take your time, I'll be very grateful when JADE finally arrives. *goes to find a rich person*.

Sradac
01-16-2009, 08:04 PM
bah TB you dont need to be a rich person, just be like every irresponsable person out there and spend half your paychecks on lottery tickets!! Join the "If I spend enough money, I HAVE to win!" school of thought!

(I in no way endorse this behavior lol.)

nathrakh
01-16-2009, 09:02 PM
I certainly do believe that JADE will be released some day but not anytime soon. Maybe after a year or two.. or something like that.

boris_pankov@inbox.ru
06-10-2009, 04:49 PM
half year passed since the last post in this thread)) any changes? news? anything?

Covenant
06-11-2009, 02:13 AM
half year passed since the last post in this thread)) any changes? news? anything?

Don't hold your breath, seriously. TB's on some kind of Pen and Paper kick at the moment.

Epythic
06-11-2009, 12:01 PM
Don't hold your breath, seriously. TB's on some kind of Pen and Paper kick at the moment. [emph. mine -- Epythic]

Oh, he's been wanting to do something like that for over a decade now (http://www.adom.de/adom-rpg/index.php3)... although you are right, he seems to have shifted his attention more towards that now, but then he said he wants JADE released this year, so we might get it in a decade or two :)

Sradac
06-11-2009, 02:25 PM
beta would be fine. so would an alpha. I just wana see exactly how so many of the things he's hyped up are going to work out.

Universal
02-23-2010, 03:12 PM
I hate to write that, but no, I don't believe in JADE anymore. Over those years I used to have a lot of faith in JADE and creator, but now it seems that TB has lost his interest in developing JADE.

xan
02-24-2010, 04:06 AM
I still believe! :)

da1edwin
02-24-2010, 11:36 AM
Hey, people have been waiting for Jesus to return for two thousand years, and he hasn't come. JADE is positively easy to believe in by comparison. : P

RadicalRat
02-28-2010, 11:07 AM
Funny, that the option "JADE will be finished some day, but I won't live long enough" is winning. Whoever voted for that must be much older than TB or think he will pass the project to his oldest son before dying or something. :rolleyes: OK realistically though, I doubt his offspring will have much interested in JADE, so the question comes down to how to keep TB alive long enough to eventually finish JADE? We should probably start studying biology now.

Doorsfan
02-28-2010, 12:59 PM
Given the consistensy of wich TB seems to have turned his attentions elsewhere all the time ; i would suspect that JADE won't really come - unless something unexpected changes the current settings.

Anonymous
03-03-2010, 11:00 AM
Jade is vapourware.
Luckily it's still plenty of great roguelikes and developers with passion.

yisk
08-18-2010, 03:04 PM
I want to revote. I do not believe in JADE more. TB is not interested in that.

Epythic
08-18-2010, 07:43 PM
Lost his interest? Un-possible!

I mean, TB's said it would be released soon, right?

And he's even renewed that promise every year for the past ten or so years! :)

fazisi
08-18-2010, 09:39 PM
I hope TB's wife never learns of JADE or she will start having doubts about TB's promise to stay faithful to her... >.>

jk

Maul
08-20-2010, 10:33 PM
Well, I've also lost my faith in JADE. Though if it'll ever come out, that'd make me quite damn happy.

Angelus
08-22-2010, 11:58 AM
First version will be released in spring 2011, around the same time as one other new major roguelike. And new Zelda will be there, too.

reverend prohna
08-27-2010, 09:40 PM
Yes ive decided finally to stop checking adom.de for updates. its been YEARS of the same thing over and over.
Im just surprised people havent started getting mad yet. Mr. Biskup made a great game with Adom but with Jade hes just a plain liar.

"And 2010 is the JADE year? there definitely will be some kind of release early on (basically just a technology study? and then we?ll have to get up to speed together)" December 2009

well its August almost September 2010. Not even an update regarding Jade let alone a release of ANYTHING.

Epythic
08-28-2010, 08:29 PM
Yeah. Though my favorite statement is still:

"This page will be filled with contents during the next weeks. Please be patient." (link (http://www.adom.de/jade/links.php3))

Soirana
08-29-2010, 10:59 AM
i guess it will be released same day as duke nukem forever. One distant day which will come in upcomming eons.

gut
08-29-2010, 12:24 PM
http://www.adom.de/forums/showthread.php?t=16#6

Maul
08-29-2010, 05:49 PM
One distant day which will come in upcomming eons.

...Or will it?

Arch Gremlin
09-03-2010, 10:09 PM
i guess it will be released same day as duke nukem forever. One distant day which will come in upcomming eons.

I really wish that you are right about that. Since DNF kind of was just on live presentation in PAX, apparently Gearbox has been finishing it, and from what I can find are going to release it in 2011.

Epythic
09-03-2010, 10:49 PM
I really wish that you are right about that. Since DNF kind of was just on live presentation in PAX, apparently Gearbox has been finishing it, and from what I can find are going to release it in 2011.

/* no comment */

Moloch666
09-05-2010, 10:57 AM
Alright, I may have said that I believe J.A.D.E will be out but now I have a massive doubt that it ever will be released. Or it will be the Duke Nukem Forever of indie gaming and get picked up by another developer.

Angelus
09-18-2010, 11:33 AM
Duke, JADE, Zelda and one level demo of my game Kaduria. Spring 2011. Epic.

kapsi
11-29-2010, 01:16 AM
I want to believe. But the ADOM blog RSS is sitting there in my browser so dead, never updating, so sad and alone...
But if Duke Nukem Forever is coming out, everything's possible!

ScooterSkittles
01-14-2011, 05:57 AM
Yes, Duke Nukem Forever being released does remind me to have faith in humanity again. Except each project (Duke Nukem and JADE) are only similar to each other because they are each games. I mean, one's a multi-whatever dollar first-person-shooter endeavor by a team of people and the other is a rogue-like, one-man operation, and a side-operation at that.

Sigh. When will the torment end?

Moloch666
04-03-2011, 04:04 PM
Yes, Duke Nukem Forever being released does remind me to have faith in humanity again. Except each project (Duke Nukem and JADE) are only similar to each other because they are each games. I mean, one's a multi-whatever dollar first-person-shooter endeavor by a team of people and the other is a rogue-like, one-man operation, and a side-operation at that.

Sigh. When will the torment end?

The torment will NEVER end.

*evilface*

nathrakh
04-27-2011, 06:02 PM
I'm hoping for playable demo release for next year.. I think that's achievable.

Silfir
04-27-2011, 10:09 PM
The Duke Nukem Forever solution was that the original team finally went bankrupt and the development was finished by another studio. Translated in terms of JADE: Thomas Biskup finally gives up and hands over development to Tarn Adams. Ten years later, JADE is still in alpha, but being played by millions of people, some of whom have managed to construct a computer running on gremlin multiplication and glider herb patterns capable of running Crysis.

... That would be fairly awesome, but it IS Thomas' project, and he will do work on it on his own time. I bet once a basic version is released and people can comment on what's happening in it, further progress will be much more likely.

kapsi
07-05-2011, 09:24 AM
DNF is out and Jade first alpha is out...but DNF was panned by almost all reviewers...so don't follow the DNF way anymore, Herr Biskup!

Laukku
07-06-2011, 09:18 AM
So, as now DNF and JADE have been released, what development hell project can we joke about next? :-/

Tune next in for Java-based the Tiefland and the Cobbler Engine and the Fountain of Youth Forever, which will be four hundred years in the making.

Grey
07-06-2011, 10:09 AM
I think the lesson is that sequels will always be made.