PDA

View Full Version : Stupid, and more than a little sad...

deblacquiere
09-26-2008, 12:47 PM
I was a Trollish Beastfighter, strong, full of hubris and brimming with self-confidence. I hit the cave south-east of Terrinyo, and stormed through it at a rate of knots (ignoring all that good advice about being careful). I had reached Level 6 and was immune to poison within what seemed like five minutes. What could go wrong?

I ran into a trap which I didn't spot... could happen to anyone. I turned blind, which didn't bother me. I'd just wait twenty turns or so until my sight comes back. But my sight didn't come back. I staggered back to the stairs (which were showing up on my map) and climbed up them, fumbling my way along. And there I waited, and waited... and waited. Bats flapped around my head and I stumbled about, grabbing for them in the dark until the flapping stopped.

Surely my blindness would end soon? Only 3 iron rations left. Sure, I could stumble around and kill a goblin and eat it, but 3 iron rations would last me til my blindness wore off surely.

It was lonely there in the darkness. I sat on the stairs and buried my head in my hands. So hungry... 2 iron rations left.

I blindly searched through my pack for something... anything that might buy me some time or cure my blindness. Rock, rock, crude knife, rock, a tiny quarrel, rock... what's this? That holy symbol I picked up earlier!

I inserted it in my tool slot, so to speak, and prayed. I prayed, prayed and prayed but nothing happened. 1 iron ration left.

Then I realised how desperate my situation was. A once-proud Trollish Beastfighter, who laughed in the face of poison and wrestled goblin rockthrowers to the ground in a single deft movement... reduced to desperately praying in the dark, sitting on the stairs, blind as a newborn...

Hungry...

Very Hungry...

Starving...

Hitpoints draining away...

Trog the Trollish Beastfighter starves to death, clutching his stolen holy symbol, lying there in a foetal position on the stairs.

That was a depressing death for me, so I closed down ADOM and got some sleep. I woke up the following morning and thought about Trog's tragic death, and I realised that I never checked the message buffer. What if... what if... my face had just been covered in mud or something, and all I had to do was wipe my face?

Is that even possible?

(Clearly I am what would be known as a 'newbie', so be gentle when you point out how stupid I am!)

Silfir
09-27-2008, 09:48 AM
Words of consolation? I've had a friend who had the exact same happen to him.

Yeah, it was the mud. Sorry... :(

EDIT: (No one will care about this, but this marks my 500th post in this forum. Yay?)

gut
09-27-2008, 10:06 AM
It's surprising, but I don't think I have ever died that way. That
has to be one of the only ways to die in ADOM that has never
killed me. Wow.

Silfir
09-28-2008, 06:08 PM
Um, you must have died from starvation pretty often in earlier times, right? ;)

Laukku
09-29-2008, 12:29 PM
Um, you must have died from starvation pretty often in earlier times, right? ;)

I think Gut meant that he never died because of mud in the face.

Ars
09-29-2008, 12:54 PM
Something that came across my mind: Anyone know what the mud message is like, if you enter the room blinded?

Silfir
09-29-2008, 09:10 PM
I think Gut meant that he never died because of mud in the face.

I know. Just felt like nitpicking needlessly this time. I mean, does death of starvation while blind count as a new death?

Solitude
05-30-2009, 09:16 PM
there is a command Wipe, which will wipe the mud off your face, thus removing the blind affect