PDA

View Full Version : Wishing for a refund

IronJelly
09-29-2008, 10:42 PM
Figured the title would get you in here. Just a thought for JADE, one thing which could make the game more noob-friendly, and (only slightly) more idiot-proof would be to refund the cost of a wish if you wish for something unrecognized. This used to be a problem in ADOM until i learned how to spell some things and got certain multiples right, and can still be an issue if I am hasty in typing something.

Of course, the wish should still be wasted if you try to wish for something not wishable for (like the trident of the red rooster in ADOM), but if you wish for an "amulet of lofe saving" in your haste, it seems like that wasted wish could cripple a game.

My thought: If you casted the wish, you get the MP and hunger back, if it was a wand, refund the charge, and if it was a blessed ring of dinji summoning or the last charge of a Wand, replace it as it was (0 charges for the wand or blessed for the ring). Still unsure what to do about pools short of a forced immediate second wish, but that could be scummed to be saved for later, which is a problem. Also, any other ways to get a wish in JADE should be considered.

This would help to prevent screwing up your game out of interface error, and if it still costs a turn, it should quickly teach you the error of your ways without major catastrophe.

Grey
09-30-2008, 12:24 AM
There is no such thing as "screwing up your game" with a wish. Well, unless you wish for sheep or emperor moloch... If anyone messes up their wish then it's no loss to them - they're just and idiot and should put up with it. There should never be any reason to make a typo in a wish! I mean seriously, that's just ridiculous :P

Elone
09-30-2008, 05:58 AM
Agreed. From your title, I thought you wanted a refund from buying JADE. Now THAT would be a noob mistake. Even tho Creator would love donations, he'd not charge for JADE.

Ars
09-30-2008, 09:42 AM
Isn't it so in ADOM that if you wish for something that doesn't exist, there comes a message to try something else? Not sure if that's the case with all sources for wish, but I vaguely recall something like that. Could be wroung though, and don't have a backup to test it with.

Laukku
09-30-2008, 11:49 AM
Isn't it so in ADOM that if you wish for something that doesn't exist, there comes a message to try something else?

That only happens in NetHack, IIRC. Wait, now I remember: I've heard that djinnis can say something like "That's a foolish wish, mortal!" and give you another chance.

ADOM has a spell-checker, so you usually don't have to worry about typos.

Ars
09-30-2008, 01:29 PM
Yeah, I think that's djinni-only. Never played Nethack seriously so it probably isn't from there.