PDA

View Full Version : grrr... never play ADOM first thing in the morning...

IronJelly
09-29-2008, 10:11 PM
I had this thought, lets go straight to lawenolothil (or however you spell it), and start by trying to kill the sherrif just to see if I can go for a fully chaotic game. So I start a drakish monk. they're not too bad for a chaotic, right? I head past terinyo, and into the lawless town. On the way, I get ambushed, but its only a few raiders. I dispatch of them, take what gear they leave, including an important scroll: KLATHA DATHA NY'ARYATHA (identify). I obtain the quest, then figure I'll go window-shopping to see what the shopkeeper has today. Lo and behold:

The shop has a wand of wishing with 5 charges(!).

Now, I've never seen one with more than one charge, so I was extatic. I didn't even have to ID it, despite my scroll. I thought to myself, how can I use a minimum number of wishes to steal this safely? Bear in mind, I am level 1. have killed nearly nothing so far, and it is 5 AM. Coffee not yet in my system, I wish for speed, despite the protest from ol' Brnabas that I would now have to pay for that charge. Then use a wish to teleport, and the next turn I get hit for more than 3x my HP. too bad too, since starting with a few wishes would have meant a really nice game.

Then my sister pointed out that wishing for gold should have given me enough to pay for the wish for gold and the wand and leave peacefully. Would that work?

Silfir
09-30-2008, 02:57 PM
He makes you pay if you use ONE charge? Wishing for gold gives you about 50000 gold pieces I think, which might not have been enough for a GODDAMN WAND OF WISHING SERIOUSLY HOW COULD YOU FUCK THAT UP ahem, but if you really are able to get one charge off without being brutally murdered, my wish would've been for wands of teleportation immediately, not speed, gambling on that the wand will take me far enough away from Barnabas so I can run. That, or I would've left and raised the money needed to buy or the teleport and teleport control to rob somehow and get the full six wishes for myself, but with a level 1 drakish monk, I guess I would've tried to get the wand earlier too to help my early game.

So yeah, the wish for speed was probably a bad move. Gold, I don't know if it would've been enough - I can imagine a Wand of Wishing is too expensive even for that.