PDA

View Full Version : Roguelikes similar to ADOM

maruk
10-01-2008, 07:26 PM
I enjoyed playing ADOM and would like to try other roguelikes of similar quality. Is there any games you can recommend with a story and a world map?

Petra
10-03-2008, 08:53 PM
Dwarf Fortress is definitely on par with ADOM.

maruk
10-03-2008, 10:01 PM
I already play Dwarf Fortress. It's an awesome game. I'm discovering the world of ascii and roguelike games. Anything else?

IGB
10-04-2008, 04:56 PM
Nethack, Angband, Tome, Crawl, DoomRL, Ivan, and much more

maruk
10-05-2008, 01:56 PM
Thanks. I will give it a try.

Petra
10-06-2008, 02:59 AM
Ivan I definitely recommend.
Angband is fun in small doses.
Doom is fun in smaller doses.
And um... Warp Rogue, in small doses.

bjarketp
10-08-2008, 09:31 PM
http://sourceforge.net/projects/crawl-ref/

Linley's Dungeon Crawl.

Version linked here is a "continuation" called Stone Soup which was in active development last time I checked. It is very good, and quite difficult. It has an interesting prayer system which each god liking or disliking certain actions. For example if you worship the barbaric god of rage, you gain the abillity to go beserk in combat, but you prohibited from using magic as the god hates it.

Also, for D&D nerds, there is http://www.incursion-roguelike.net/ which is a very detailed roguelike using an expanded and complex application of the D20 system. Has a lot of different options, actions, spells, monsters and so forth. The developer hints that he intends to resume development for Feb 2009. The current version has only one dungeon, but the developer promises an overland map like adom. I have high hopes for this. It also sto--- Burrowed the god system from Crawl.

I can also recommend DoomRL as a "coffee break" roguelike. A game is over rather quickly because there are only 20 levels in the dungeon, but it has difficulty levels and support for various challenge games built in to make it last longer.

Also, I woulden't call Dwarf Fortress a true roguelike yet... For now it's just a complex (but successful) clone of Dungeon Keeper.

Ars
10-09-2008, 11:04 AM
Not just a Dungeon Keeper-ish building game... There's the adventure mode too. But I wouldn't call that a roguelike either, that's like calling some Ultimas roguelike. Totally different feel and system, even though the basic display would be somewhat alike.

Sradac
10-16-2008, 06:58 PM
Pokemon mystery dungeon! Its a pokemon roguelike, lol

ivoryknight
10-20-2008, 01:48 PM
Can anybody explain to me the appeal of Dwarf Fortress. I tried playing it, but I don't really get the attractiveness of the game. It is difficult to figure out all the key commands, and what you;re supposed to be doing.

Sradac
10-20-2008, 01:59 PM
dwarf fortress can be fun, but i jsut get bored by it. I suppose if you put alot of time into it it would be great. you can look on the dwarfwiki and find a beginners guide showing you how to get your fortress started and how to do all the basics of it. it helped me alot, especially learning how to irrigate farms with flood gates.