PDA

View Full Version : Trollish Healer-L7

ivoryknight
10-12-2008, 08:07 PM
This will soud really pathetic.

This has been my best character so far. I haven't been able to get anything other than trolls to live long in this game. This dear old fellow was making his way to the CoC when barbarians surrounded and killed him. That's right, I've never ever made it to the CoC, after about 60 tries. weeping :(

xorxe
10-20-2008, 01:07 AM
If you simply run like hell at the beginning of every game (And have a snack for the trip), you can get there in about 1-5 characters easily.

Or, I guess you could make sure to have high Survival, Alertness(?), Stealth(?), Perception, and Dexterity(?) when you eventually make the journey after the village quests.

Survival is the main skill to have when trying to dodge wilderness encounters, I think, but basically any character can get lucky and make it to the Caverns of Chaos from the get-go. (Or any dungeon on the wilderness map not closed off by mountains, really)

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

S
P
A
C
E

M
A
K
E
S

E
V
E
R
Y
O
N
E

H
A
P
P
Y.

You can also simply use the secret passage from the High Mountain Village. The High Mountain Village is at the very end of the Small Cave/Unremarkable Dungeon (The one where the first floor contains monsters double your level). The dungeon entrance is located at the very north of the wilderness map, about ten or so squares west of your starting location.

After fighting your way through the dungeon, the High Mountain Village will be at the end (You will exit into a valley on the wilderness map, trapped on all sides by tall mountains. You can enter the High Mountain Village just like Terinyo). On the inside of the western most wall, there are a couple of false walls. Search through them and you will find a secret passage way. The passage wall will drop you about 1/3 of the distance away from the Caverns of Chaos than you would have had to travel if you had just run from Terinyo. Besides giving you a shortcut to the Caverns of Chaos, the passageway gives you a way to get into the Unremarkable Dungeon, which actually contains many strange and perhaps useful dungeon features (Such as forges or altars), without having to go through the incredibly dangerous Small Cave.

Silfir
10-20-2008, 02:27 AM
As far as safety goes, the Unremarkable Dungeon - especially if the SMC was left behind filled of monsters, making you unable to retreat - is not advisable compared to just gaining the levels in the Village/Druid Dungeon or the Infinite Dungeon. You're better off switching away from trolls for a while. If you want to make it to the CoC safely, you can do it with an orcish barbarian. Give him some levels and he'll pose a serious threat to even barbarian hordes. Get Healing first (hint: take the village elder quest and figure out a way to save the carpenter).

Sradac
10-20-2008, 02:47 PM
Also watch out for the stone giant lord that hangs out in the high mountain village sometimes. He isnt always there, but when he is, forget about it unless you are either fast or know some advanced tactics.

Silfir
10-21-2008, 12:01 AM
Well, usually if you're that far you don't have much choice but to get past him somehow. This is usually possible by switching to Coward and luring him out of the village - to the right edge of the map. There you leave, enter again and make a run for the secret door that leads to the staircase away. You have to hope that you have enough DV, PV and HP to not get killed by rock throws.

I've had Hawkslayer kill the stone giant lord for me once, but never again. Another thing to try though.

EDIT: I think if you're not fast enough there aren't many tactics that can still help you. Confusion from a mindcrafter, spells to kill the stone giant lord while Coward, potions or wands found in the UD...