PDA

View Full Version : Need something to play on my laptop

Sradac
10-20-2008, 03:07 PM
So yeah, my video card on my desktop fried so now im stuck using my laptop for everything atm instead of just school. What are some games playable on laptops that arent a pain in the ass? Roguelikes suck on this laptop, I didnt shirk out the extra money to upgrade from a 15" to a 17" and now I dont have a numpad. I wish I had spent that extra money i could really use a numpad lol. So, what are some laptop playable games? any kind of FPS is out I need my mouse and keyboard for that this touchpad wont do. Anyone ever play baldurs gate/icewind dale/ neverwinter nights on a laptop? Im thinking those would be my best bet right now since they are mouse heavy but you can also pause so the touch pad shouldnt be too much of an issue. I suppose emulation is an option...

This isnt a super high end machine I got it for school but its decent enough, windows vista ultimate edition 32bit, 4 gig ram, core 2 duo 2.6, some intel chipset but it supports vertex shader 3.0 and 448 meg adapter ram.

Im not sure how HoMM 5 would run the bigger maps chugged on my desktop with a geforce 7700. Suggestions to kill time on my laptop????

Grey
10-20-2008, 03:34 PM
Does your laptop not have a numpad function? Most have a key that when held depressed causes 789/UIO/JKL to act as the numpad. Takes a bit of getting used to, but it can work fine. It is also possible to get used to using the arrow keys predominantly, with your left hand hovering over 1/3/7/9 on the number line for diagonals.

Turn-based RPGs seem to be your best bet in general. Baldur's Gate isn't fully designed towards turn-based play, but it is possible to set it to pause after every turn. Fallout 1&2 and Planescape:Torment would likely be much better though (they're better games anyway, and are specifically designed with turn-based play in mind). Of course if you get one of those mini USB mice that are so handy to carry around then that can make pretty much any game viable.

Sradac
10-20-2008, 03:56 PM
yeah i have a numpad function but I just cant get used to it. I've been trying it on the new Z+angband but i just cant get used to it I keep hitting the wrong buttons and dying lol

ivoryknight
10-20-2008, 04:20 PM
My laptop is my main computer, and I've never seen it as too much of a problem to activate the jkluio789 numpad or simply use 1379 when I need diagonal motion. I don't see why you should have a large problem adjusting.

Captain Bligh
10-20-2008, 10:37 PM
Minesweeper!

Silfir
10-21-2008, 09:36 AM
Dwarf Fortress!

Give it realtime priority so it can use one of your CPUs alone. That will make FPS trouble nonexistant. Beware, though - my laptop regularly loses speed to avoid overheating. But the game IS awesome, so it's worth it.

psysmic
10-25-2008, 03:41 AM
I just remapped my keys. I play adom using just the keys and it works like a charm. I'd be happy to send you my keybord files.