PDA

View Full Version : Ghul paralysis

ragface
11-05-2008, 12:27 PM
Is there really nothing you can do if a ghul makes you paralyzed??(other than finding paralyze resistance items) or is there a guaranteed amulet of free will???

tough it makes sense that you can't but would be nice if you wouldn't be paralyzed and holding space a couple of minutes waiting for your char to die..

nearly 30% of my characters dies of this..

Last time my char died was against the Cat Lord so I had a break.. now I started playing again.. had girdle of giant strength
and:
He was fire resistant.
He was poison resistant.
He was acid resistant (enhanced through an item).
He was lucky.-_-
He was sleep resistant.
He was petrification resistant.
He was able to teleport.
He was able to control teleportation.
He was resistant to death rays.
He was able to resist confusion attacks (gained through an item).

Argh! drives me mad:p

Silfir
11-05-2008, 12:37 PM
You can hit Enter if you want to get straight to the result. Less painful ;)

The solution to paralyzation is the amulet of free action - or certain artifacts.

I usually get very rarely paralyzed by ghuls. Decent PV makes you near immune to ever being hurt (and also gives good chances to survive BEING paralyzed). That said, I usually proritize ghuls when faced with large hordes of undead, just after those that drain strength (as they are usually stronger and the risk to lose strength points is much higher than the slight risk of a ghul critical hit paralyzing me). If you do NOT have more than a 2, 3 points of PV, re-kill them from a distance if ever possible.

ragface
11-05-2008, 12:47 PM
You can hit Enter if you want to get straight to the result. Less painful ;)

The solution to paralyzation is the amulet of free action - or certain artifacts.

I usually get very rarely paralyzed by ghuls. Decent PV makes you near immune to ever being hurt (and also gives good chances to survive BEING paralyzed). That said, I usually proritize ghuls when faced with large hordes of undead, just after those that drain strength (as they are usually stronger and the risk to lose strength points is much higher than the slight risk of a ghul critical hit paralyzing me). If you do NOT have more than a 2, 3 points of PV, re-kill them from a distance if ever possible.

Aah I usually try to get my DV as high as possible. That explains a bit.
"survive BEING paralyzed" -so there is a chance to survive paralyzed?
and yeah I always kill ghuls first. and try to get a amulet of free will before going to dwarven graveyard.

Thanks next time I'll hit enter instead:)

Silfir
11-05-2008, 07:37 PM
Well, with decent PV there is the chance that your ghul will not be able to kill you before the paralyzation period ends. Really, you need PV in the early game. As much as possible.

Grey
11-05-2008, 11:12 PM
I usually attack them on Defensive tactics settings to reduce the chance of getting hit. That way even if you do get paralysed then you won't end up in the infinite loop of being paralysed again and again till you die. Also important of course to lure them into corridors so you're not surrounded, and try to soften them up or kill them with missiles.

gut
11-06-2008, 02:36 AM
I have no code-dived info on this, but that's never stopped me before, so here
I go again. I believe that wearing two blessed rings of -stun will keep you about
99% safe. The reason I think this (and play this way myself) is because of
Thrundarr. He gives me a -stun ring, holy water, and a holy symbol right before
sending me to the Griffyard. I know the holy water is to be used on Griff's
grave, and the symbol can be used to turn some dead, so both of those items
are of use in the Griffyard. To my way of thinking, that implies that the -stun
ring should also be of help there, specifically with the ghuls. Having said that
though, Thrundarr also gives the PC a BONE, which is perfectly useless, so I
may just be dreaming. For now though, I know that a -stun ring will not keep
me from getting paralyzed, but I also know that I have never died from being
paralyzed while wearing one (or even better, two).

Sidrick
11-06-2008, 04:13 AM
Thrundarr also gives the PC a BONE

Can't you give bones to skeletons to heal them? I thought you could. If you can, I guess it's possible that the bone could be useful to a necromancer.

ragface
11-06-2008, 01:44 PM
gut that makes sense..(tought he gave ring of the fish, tought that was wierd:p) I've never used stun rings because I tought them as pretty useless.. when you get stunned its not that bad.. well I'm gonna use them from now on:p

And yes very defensive seems like a good idea.

Now the next question:

dark orcs?

seems to deal around 5-120 damage per hit???

met a darc orc on D6 that hit around 100 with every hit(hits a vital spot) used my extra healing and a prayer and tried to run away from him.. but he pursued me and killed me easilly while I couldn't deal damage to him...

was only lvl 14 but still. I've never encountered so bad orcs before..

is there a reason behind also?

This learning process can be frustrating:p

Silfir
11-06-2008, 02:12 PM
Could have been really bad luck. I remember dark orcs occasionally being deadly as hell too, deadlier than other orcs even.

As for the rings of stun resistance... It might have some merit, but I always thought the ring was a remnant of earlier versions.

Soirana
11-06-2008, 05:22 PM
well, DV>30 usaually means ghuls are not problem. Before that ghuls should be shot. Later on I am known to pick ghuls pockets:). At least they should be fighted one at one in the corridor.

-Stun rings. i can probably test it out. Although i don't see point in doing so. I believe they don't help. Gut believes they do. Perfect world:D

PV: I've died few times when ghul pushed through armour and kept doing so untill i died (that was something one in thirty hits so I read these messgaes for good.) For me DV is a way.

ragface
11-06-2008, 07:27 PM
well, DV>30 usaually means ghuls are not problem. Before that ghuls should be shot. Later on I am known to pick ghuls pockets:). At least they should be fighted one at one in the corridor.

-Stun rings. i can probably test it out. Although i don't see point in doing so. I believe they don't help. Gut believes they do. Perfect world:D

PV: I've died few times when ghul pushed through armour and kept doing so untill i died (that was something one in thirty hits so I read these messgaes for good.) For me DV is a way.

well I tend to get DV around 40 pretty early in the game, and still had chars dying to ghuls.. and yes I always try to fight in corridors.

At the begining i also pick pocketed ghuls(watery potion is pretty common from undead. Or is that just my imagination:))

gut
11-06-2008, 11:04 PM
If it is imagination, it's mine too.

Silfir
11-07-2008, 02:42 AM
With high DV, it could still hit. With high PV but low DV, being hit is less dangerous, but you could be critically hit or have the ghul punch through. No absolute security with either. Personally I find that 25 DV plus 5 PV >>>>>>> 40 DV zero PV. Better to have decent PV and decent DV than to have only very good DV or only very good PV.

Lich
11-07-2008, 05:07 AM
Having trouble with Ghuls eh?
Well, you'll love mimics.
Dark elven priestesses can also paralyze. Gelatinous cubes, floating eyes, and dorn beasts will paralyze if you attack them, although I had PC's who became paralyzed when hit by a floating eye.
Stone oozes, if you ever see one, are also dangerous in terms of paralysis.
The moral of the story is: (magic) missiles, and never trust an iron ration lying on the ground.

ragface
11-07-2008, 07:11 AM
Having trouble with Ghuls eh?
Well, you'll love mimics.
Dark elven priestesses can also paralyze. Gelatinous cubes, floating eyes, and dorn beasts will paralyze if you attack them, although I had PC's who became paralyzed when hit by a floating eye.
Stone oozes, if you ever see one, are also dangerous in terms of paralysis.
The moral of the story is: (magic) missiles, and never trust an iron ration lying on the ground.

Well floating eyes, gelatinious cubes etc don't really appear in a package of 20 unless tension rooms. AND they don't paralyze unless you hit them.. so you really can't get paralyzed over and over like with ghuls..
And yeah I really don't bother shooting every ghul with missiles:p

I don't remember ever getting paralyzed by a dark elven priest tough?

Soirana
11-07-2008, 02:41 PM
25 DV plus 5 PV >>>>>>> 40 DV zero PV. Better to have decent PV and decent DV than to have only very good DV or only very good PV.

Who said zero PV? Actually i was DV guy from start to end, but changed that. Scraping around ten points of PV is good idea. And i usually keep working on spears and shield marks in da process.

Silfir
11-07-2008, 06:08 PM
10 PV is already enough, of course!

Dark elven priestesses paralyze. Oh yes they do.

Dorn Beasts work differently. They don't have to hit you to paralyze you - it's enough if you attack them even once. If you're not resistant to paralyzation, you'll stare into one of the eyes and get permanently paralyzed. Game over.

(It might be just paralyzation with a very long duration, but Dorn Beasts hit hard enough to kill you anyway.)

meh
11-07-2008, 06:17 PM
The only time I have survived a Dorn Beast paralysation was when I had the teleportation corruption and it kicked in at the right time. I can't remember if teleporting broke off the paralysation or if I just waited out in a safe location, but either way I survived that encounter.

Soirana
11-07-2008, 06:39 PM
But if you shoot you stare at arrow instead of one of Beasts eyes. When i learned this Dorn Beasts stoped being a problem.

Edit: I also had char paralyzed by being hit by floating eye.

Silfir
11-08-2008, 10:39 AM
I was too paranoid to try anything than wand artillery fire when I met Dorn Beasts without paralyzation resistance... Good news that missile attacks while right next to them are still safe.