PDA

View Full Version : danger in dwarven graveyard

Moeba
12-05-2008, 05:03 PM
I don't know how to post my character information, but I forgot to save it anyway.

I was a gnomish monk level 15, specializing in just unarmed fighting but also able to shoot with a bow. I saved the puppy, killed hotzenplotz, did all of the dwarven quests and then went to the dwarven graveyard to unlock the portal. Outside was no problem, just killed all and went inside. There I found the dwarven chaos berserker and the necromancer, both no problem; I had some arrows of slaying which worked quite well. Then after I killed them I found a pair of seven league boots! I immediatly blessed them and put them on, who cares that they give -2 DV.
But then, I got hit by a ghul. They hit me quite often, with their tendency to punch through my armor (about 24 PV :D). This one just kept hitting me (my DV seemed to drop when paralyzed, first I had 36, and about 24 when paralyzed), and after some time clicking the spacebar I just held it. I was born in the Candle month, so hp weren't a problem, he couldn't really kill me. Well, the first 20 seconds in which I held the spacebar he couldn't. But he was continually damaging my armor (15 PV at the end) and therefore did more and more damage. After another 20 seconds holding the spacebar my HP had dropped from 150 to 40, and soon after I was dead...

I thought the main problem about this death was that I couldn't really do anything about it. I was a monk fighting unarmed, which means low DV early game. Of course I could've shot the ghuls from far away, but they never hit me more than once. Before the graveyard I met enough ghuls in order to know if I could beat them.

But it also was quite funny ;) getting killed by a ghul, due to seven league boots, after you killed its summoner and lots of other monsters which were much more dangerous. :D

Sami
12-06-2008, 10:35 AM
Are you sure you weren't doomed?

Moeba
12-06-2008, 02:52 PM
No, I'm sure I was doomed, I ran into a karmic lizard once. But that was when I was about level 6, and the ghul's had never hit me more than twice in a row until my death. Except if doomed makes only one creep incredibly much more lucky it shouldn't make much difference, should it?

Silfir
12-06-2008, 07:45 PM
If you ran into a karmic lizard once, and got the respective message "You feel as if this was not a good idea!", more than once, then you are pretty likely indeed doomed. That you got this far with so few problems would then be mere coincidence.

It's likely that the ghul that did you in was quite a bit more experienced than his surface graveyard brethren. All in all, this was a stream of incredibly bad luck, even for a doomed char...

Moeba
12-06-2008, 10:32 PM
is there any site or place where you can find what being doomed exactly does? the only thing I noticed was that you get lots of wilderness encounters, which is very useful for your food.

Sradac
12-07-2008, 10:00 PM
Doomed! Dooooooooomed!!!

you cant enter the cosmic circle, er uh chaos gate when your doomed.

you need an amulet of protection from undead. or paralysis. i hate ghouls. if i got ghouls wights ghosts and shadows around i always kill the ghouls first. being aged, sta drained or str drained is nothing compared to being paralyzed and then helpless.

Ars
12-09-2008, 12:12 PM
Dooming makes armor more prone to breakage I think. I don't know all things that dooming does exactly, but at least it makes enemies have worse criticals.

And paralyzation can last a really long time if you're unlucky - one of my most amusing deaths was when a dorn beast paralyzed me, but then I got teleported to another side of map with random teleportation, but then I starved as the paralyzation just wouldn't end.