PDA

View Full Version : What do you think were cool underrated roguelikes?

Sradac
12-07-2008, 10:04 PM
Simple question. for me I think theres 2 alphaman was alot of fun but I didnt like the time limit in it. and omega was tons of fun once you finally figured out how to play it. one of the most complex roguelikes ever I wish someone would pick up developement on it again and bring it back to life.

WERDNA
01-04-2009, 09:14 PM
I don't really know if this one was underrated, but I would have to say Baroque for the Sega Saturn.
Its an import only game, and I believe had a small following in japan. It is one of my top three favoriote games.

My japanese is not incredible, so I wasn't able to get much of the story, but the game itself sure was fun to play
and it was by far the scariest game I have ever played. Unlike supposed survival horrors like Resident Evil, it
doesn't need blood and gore to be scary. Some of the monsters are just so horrifyingly weird, that I found myself
running away from them without even knowing what kind of attacks they had!

And the fun thing is you can be doing really good one moment, with tons of high quality equipment, and in the
next few seconds your frantically dodging enemies while looking for the exit, because all your good items have
been used, and your really low on health.

If you have a Sega Saturn and an import converter, I would highly recomend this game. You don't need to know
too much japanese to play it, most of the items you can just figure out what they do eventually.

Anyways,

Ja Mata!

Sugoku WERDNA Desu,(Lodo No Kurayami)

Xen Xander
03-02-2009, 10:10 PM
Legend of the Red Dragon (dubbed LORD) was rather nice and a good time killer.

Also Dark Castle is neat though in retrospect death isn't permanent so it's not really rogue-like, just text-based like ADOM.