PDA

View Full Version : Hunters

Epythic
03-14-2008, 11:22 AM
A while ago I had the idea of something like an extremely powerful NPC (or group of NPC's) trying to hunt down the PC. That means, he/they would initially not not where the PC is, but whenever the PC does something important, the hunter(s) notice and follow the trace to the player. As the player is not powerful enough to kill the hunters, he will have to hide or outrun them. Or, if he *is* powerful enough, kill them (or have them killed by someone else), only to find that either they cant really be killed (they respawn somewhere else) or others take their position. A hidden plot in the background aimed at killing the PC...

If you think about it, you will find that it already has been done in some books, the most prominent example being "Lord of the Rings".

Comments?

Grey
03-14-2008, 11:31 AM
I quite like it - reminds me more of The Running Man actually (the original Stephen King novel) since the PC would essentially be alone and having to cover up all his actions. Not necessarily as a main quest, or from the start of the game, but something that could happen to the PC at some point (if he attains some powerful artifact for instance, continuing with the Lord of the Rings analogy...)

Sradac
03-14-2008, 03:24 PM
ehh...sounds alot like the brotherhood from morrowind.

Epythic
03-14-2008, 04:58 PM
I thought the brotherhood was about becoming a hunter, instead of being hunted?

theotherhiveking
03-14-2008, 06:20 PM
I thought the brotherhood was about becoming a hunter, instead of being hunted?

Yeah :p

In the elder scrolls, im the master of the dark brotherhood, then i switched to linux :p

Tannis
03-14-2008, 08:50 PM
This is a great idea, provided a few caveats:

One, this should not be a factor in every game. I don't think you were implying that, but to be sure it should be a possible event, not a guaranteed event.

When it does happen, it would be best if it tied into the current plot of the game. Let's say you infiltrate into an orcish stronghold, kill a few brutes and make off with some treasure. It wouldn't be a surprise if some orcish raiders came looking for you later on down the road, would it?

Though I'm not a fan of Nazgul like hunters that keep on coming and can't be stopped, if only because it can get repetitive after awhile.

adom-admin
03-14-2008, 10:10 PM
A while ago I had the idea of something like an extremely powerful NPC (or group of NPC's) trying to hunt down the PC. That means, he/they would initially not not where the PC is, but whenever the PC does something important, the hunter(s) notice and follow the trace to the player. As the player is not powerful enough to kill the hunters, he will have to hide or outrun them. Or, if he *is* powerful enough, kill them (or have them killed by someone else), only to find that either they cant really be killed (they respawn somewhere else) or others take their position. A hidden plot in the background aimed at killing the PC...

Such a feature will be in JADE definitely... in one way or the other. I always liked the idea of posting a "create revenging son of orc chieftain that will show up in 12 years after you killed his father" event to the ADOM timeline. But there are many other types of applications and yes... I think this is a very good idea (e.g. being hunted by followers of a religion whose main temple you looted, etc.).

Or just being hunted by bounty hunters because you were noticed breaking laws... and so on.

Epythic
03-15-2008, 08:23 AM
Yeah :p

In the elder scrolls, im the master of the dark brotherhood, then i switched to linux :p

Oblivion runs on linux, with Wine. You can even play your old windows savegames. Actually, i have been playing Oblivion last week.

Such a feature will be in JADE definitely... in one way or the other. I always liked the idea of posting a "create revenging son of orc chieftain that will show up in 12 years after you killed his father" event to the ADOM timeline. But there are many other types of applications and yes... I think this is a very good idea (e.g. being hunted by followers of a religion whose main temple you looted, etc.).

Or just being hunted by bounty hunters because you were noticed breaking laws... and so on.

Yay! He likes it! *happy*

Dougy
03-17-2008, 04:50 AM
Yeah, it sounds like a good idea. Do they all have to want to kill the PC? Perhaps you could have some groupies that just want to follow the PC around.

theotherhiveking
03-17-2008, 04:24 PM
Yeah, it sounds like a good idea. Do they all have to want to kill the PC? Perhaps you could have some groupies that just want to follow the PC around.

Yay, or even try to fight the hunters.

This is like the story of your life in adom.. after some play you would become the master and have disciples that follow you and can be trained.

Epythic
03-17-2008, 09:17 PM
This is like the story of your life in adom.. after some play you would become the master and have disciples that follow you and can be trained.

Pets can get very powerful, but I prefer fighting alone. I just hate to wait for others.

Dougy
03-17-2008, 09:54 PM
Pets can get very powerful, but I prefer fighting alone. I just hate to wait for others.

Quickling king pets are quite nice - little waiting. (:

breeding moloch
06-05-2008, 07:02 AM
i like greater moloch pets!!!!!!! and artifact guardians i get them on some version of ADOM:):):) and its not a cheat!

Narvius
06-09-2008, 07:21 PM
On looting the main temple of a religion: Maybe the followers of some opposite religion will love you and help you whenever you meet them (giving you stuff, blessing you)?