PDA

View Full Version : Or maybe...

Sradac
12-31-2008, 05:20 PM
Instead of giving each person a source copy, release it to a dev group from the community and have them work on it together, collaborating among themselves on what would be good for adom. like i said in the other post, make sure they're trustworth people devoted to preserving the magic of adom. I dont want the source as I cant program very well and I wouldnt want to 1. see it and get spoiled. or 2. get tempted to play with it (I know I would) and break it.
I've modded alot of games before but that was with tools provided or small mods like changing dmg of something or HP. Im sure if I read the source enough I could figure it out, but im not going to be greedy. there are other people that the source would be in much better hands. I dont know who can code but i know of a few people I would trust with the source just from knowing them on the forums.

Epythic
12-31-2008, 07:55 PM
Instead of giving each person a source copy, release it to a dev group from the community and have them work on it together, collaborating among themselves on what would be good for adom.

Like I said in the other thread, I do not like this idea. Did I mention that I believe in the concepts of "open source" and "free software"?

I think I am more interested in developing games than in playing them. And I want to learn from ADOM's source code. That does not necessarily include helping with ADOM's development. Would that exclude me from such a group?

[...] I dont want the source as I cant program very well and I wouldnt want to 1. see it and get spoiled.
Then don't look at it, but why take it away from others?

or 2. get tempted to play with it (I know I would) and break it.
Huh?

[Footnote: no offense intended.]

Sradac
12-31-2008, 08:32 PM
not saying to keep it from others, im just saying if he chose to release it to certain people i wouldnt be one to ask for it. dont want to seem like im saying only give it to certain people and make sure im one of them.

foxfire29
01-09-2009, 12:04 AM
I shouldnt really be commenting on things like this as a new member so I will not do so again :) However if you were to do things that way it doesnt take a rocket scientist to see that could cause more hassle than good, hence why I said in the other thread release it with a somewhat restrictive license or not at all.

One of many many reasons why I am not fond of the idea is because yes I am a coder, I am new to this community but I am a student at university at this time, I would just want to learn from the code pure and simple, I also am confident in my ability to not do things that would annoy the creator, especially since I would use it for my own education and there it ends. I also think thats how it would be for a high proportion of people and actually I believe those are one of the safest bands of people to have access to the code. I say ONLY because these people wont use the code for self benefit(In purely educational sense) and there it ends. (These kinds of folks goes well beyond people in education , just to clarify :) )

The point of all the above being, doing it the way the OP suggests does not by any stretch make the code any more safe than with releasing it the proper and customary way most source is released.

To be blunt I have in the past read about the kind of licensing you are suggesting but in real terms what that usually amounts to is hording the code between a few elitists of the community and shutting so many people out the source will never see the light of day, thus for the majority theres no access which is really no differant to the current setup, in fact it would be better if its going to be as such that the creator should just release it to a bunch of close friends and not publicize it as this idea in my view if immplemented would be very counter productive and pointless. (Whats going to happen to the hundreds of people out there who have supported the project but dont go out their way to make an immpression on the community?)

Your as safe with a properly drafted open source license if not more so than with this "Give it to the elitists" analagous license.

This is just my opinion, its not meant to offend or anything, I have been treated well the time I have been here its just as a coder and someone who is an advocate of open source/indie/ community projects its something I feel strongly about.

If it is released have a bit more faith in the comminity plus if people break the license and its detremental to the creator; the creator has rights by law. (Actually here in the UK there isnt Software Patents as far as im aware which is actually a good thing because people who create Software have rights by default , Im not sure what the situation is in the us)

Just to prove I am looking at things objectivly maybe what would be acceptable to some is release it in countries which have good IP laws etc, this would alienate some though yet again.

Grey
01-09-2009, 12:29 AM
I gotta agree with foxfire29 there - better to be fully open than to give it to a small dev team. How would TB even be able to decide on a reliable dev team?

Silfir
01-09-2009, 11:15 AM
Thirded. Open Pandora's Box - there will be silly variations mostly ignored because of their silliness (besides, as I understand ADOM is a complicated mess code-wise and thus I imagine most of the silly people won't bother), but there will also actual ADOM development being done, and that's ultimately what should count.

There has to be some way for dedicated ADOM fan coders to organize themselves and join forces though. It would be mighty pointless if there were 100 different bugfixes to ADOM. This could happen on its own after release, but the only way to make sure for Thomas would be to spearhead such a community on his own.

Thing is, open source projects that aren't properly organized almost invariably devolve into huge messes where hardly anything gets done properly.

The way I see it, Thomas shouldn't just release the source code like that. He should use his authority by virtue of being the creator to influence the efforts of the community so that there will be an "official" place for ADOM development on the internet. Once such a thing is in place, anybody who cares about ADOM will gather up there and help make kickass new ADOM versions.

jaked122
01-25-2009, 10:49 PM
I'd like to say that I would feel crushed if I wasn't allowed to see the gleaming gem that is ADOM's source code, I can see that if the Dev group would be able to allow anyone to join if they are reasonably convinced that they won't make any crazy additions, but I do think full open source would be the best out of all the things to do with the source