PDA

View Full Version : World size

Sradac
01-01-2009, 11:16 PM
Is it possible the world in JADE will be TOO big? We were able to have plenty of content in adom to make it from levels 1-50 and still probably didnt go to every single location, some of them we couldnt go to. VD and DD are examples. the assassins cave is another, i rarely go in there just because i dont have a reason to since I dont duel wield. The drakalor chain was just a small part of ancardia, it didnt even take up a whole game screen. Ancardia is much bigger, so how will too much content be handled? If every world is generated randomly theres probably a lot of cool stuff we will miss out on and may never ever EVER see since each world is different. Spreading locations further apart is one way to fix it, but that seems like it would waste a lot of game time. Maybe we could have an option to save a world we generate to use again like in dwarf fortress? And have each race start in a different location, that'd be kinda cool too. Humans start in a nice pleasant rolling plains with a few forest around, dwarves could start in the mountains, orcs in a nasty swampy area.

sangfroid
03-01-2009, 01:05 PM
Possible starting points-
Human- town
Dwarf- mountain
Orc- rugged badland
Drakeling- swamp
Dark elf- underground
High elf- woods
Grey elf- island?
Hobbit- farmland
Gnome- desert?
Troll- cave
Ratling- outlaw town?

Fullmoon
03-02-2009, 06:52 PM
Nice enough. On second thought -- what about obtaining main quest? There could be problems, depending on the kind of main quest.

Nobbse
03-04-2010, 01:31 AM
Is it possible the world in JADE will be TOO big?

This might be a problem, indeed! Though it looks promising at first sight seeing TB working on big cities in JADE, I'm not so convinced that more of anything is the way to more fun. Rethinking what it was what made ADOM so fine and absolutely priceless I come to the conclusion that it was NOT the countless quests (in fact, there were only 3-4 dozens) , NOT countless monsters, NOT countless locations, NOT countless spells, NOT countless potions, .... . In some cases more monsters would have been not good ( 1st Thrundar quest )

The REAL key factor what ADOM made so fine was:

the DENSITY of moments at which You had to rethink Your strategic decisions!

Anything too big - in particular large areas, too large distances, ... - might menace this density.

The Metro Gnome
03-04-2010, 02:42 PM
In response to Nobbse (too lazy to quote)

Everyone seems to think JADE=ADOM2. Why does it have to be that way? We're just sooo used to ADOM something new would shock us all. Who knows, a bigger map might be fun! If you want JADE to be more like ADOM, just ask for JADE never to made and more updates for ADOM instead.

Nobbse
03-04-2010, 06:37 PM
Well, the reason why TB doesn't want to touch the ADOM-code anymore is probably the Status of that Code. He cannot handle it any longer without taking risks of breaking it and it would take him too much time to get himself to the knowledge to work with this code again.

So JADE is a new build that TB wants to be managable over a long time of 10-20 years. I don't want it to be an ADOM-Clone, but what I want is that he keeps the density of strategic decisions. I might take some time from the first playable test version to the density that ADOM had, but I'm looking forward to!

The Metro Gnome
03-04-2010, 07:43 PM
We are all looking forward to JADE, just by the time we do play it some of us will be married and gone (While I'm still in collage) So we'll just have to build the foundation for future geeks all over the world!

nathrakh
03-04-2010, 08:05 PM
Go make a lot of geek babies.

rmcin329
03-06-2010, 11:16 AM
Everyone seems to think JADE=ADOM2. Why does it have to be that way?

Oh i don't know, try reading this http://www.adom.de/jade/index.php3. In there it states that JADE IS ADOM2.

Krough Firender
03-31-2010, 05:22 PM
How about increasing the level limit? I know 50 is a tin already, but it wont matter if the world is huge. make it possible to get to infinite levels, just end the class bonuses at lv 50. I feel that would help people to adventure more throughout the world. Maybe have some quests off limits for certain races, so you take different paths throughout the world. I would personally love a huge world, but am worried that I would spend so much time on side quests that I would kill myself in some lava labyrinth when I could have won.

The Metro Gnome
03-31-2010, 07:37 PM
How about increasing the level limit? I know 50 is a tin already, but it wont matter if the world is huge. make it possible to get to infinite levels, just end the class bonuses at lv 50.

Actually, the bonuses do stop at lvl 50, but you continue to gain exp and skill advancement.

fazisi
03-31-2010, 08:12 PM
In an ADOM metaphor in relation to JADE (to avoid accusations of assuming JADE is ADOM2), Thrundarr should refuse to assign quests to orcs and dark elves because dwarves hate those dirty bastards.

While a dwarf entering an underground dwarven city would be supplied with an altar, quests, skill training and a shop, an orc would would be treated as a threat and be forced to either attempt to sneak past the city or fight his way through. He might even descend to the hidden ogre cave where he is supplied with a quest by the reigning ogre lord to slaughter their dwarven enemies. Upon completion of this quest and returning to the dwarf city, it is now inhabited by ogres who supply a quest to eraticate the hidden cave filled with dwarf ghosts who are extremely hostile towards our *cough* hero.

EDIT: So to bring this more to JADE, it doesn't necessarily mean it has to be a dwarf city and an ogre cave. Just reuse of certain zones but with different NPC responses depending on the PC's race, maybe gender or even class! Also, it should absolutely depend on the PC's past actions since if a ratling assassin has slain numerous ratlings in his quest for power and glory, he might not be treated so nicely next time he visits a ratling fortress high in the mountains.