PDA

View Full Version : ACW...How I hate thee

Sadface
01-21-2009, 11:59 AM
Hello, Sadface here (New to the forums, pretty new to ADOM too - I've only played for a few years). And my latest failed character's silly death. If you'd like to see the death, just scroll down - I didn't actually get a .flg for this character.

Furthest I've ever gotten in this game is the Tower of Eternal Flames...same story every time, giants and dragons are cake, ACW starts off as such, then decides to fight to the death in a blind rage and I'm overwhelmed...

Latest character is such a strange combination for me, that I rolled one day because I was bored and it turned out to be wonderful: Drula, the Drakeling Druid. Although I didn't get a .flg of the remains (out of annoyance, I must say...'Again?! Ugh! Skip skip skip, NO I don't want a logfile...'), I do have a .vlg of one brave steal in the Water Dragon's Lair just before death in the tower...

The only thing that changed between the Lair and the Tower was a single level up, a wish for Red Dragon Scale Mails, and new bracers.

Water Dragon Cave, Treasure Hoard Hunting:

... ..#
####.# #.####
########### #.##.# #....#
[(%@![(!(%#####....###.##.# #
#.# ###/ $.$[*='(.*[$$[/$$[!#####.....##.##.. .##
####.###%$(!*![$$][(\[$$.!%*[%%$[#######.##....# ....#
#........{.(..'%.!'[/%$[.*].%\.[$..# #.####.## #.<.#
.####.######\\[[$[[[((=!($$]$[$[[$$[$#.#.# #.####...#. #...#
......#.##.###[!}%![!]!!%.(%!%%%[.%###.#.###...##.###.# ##.##
##.##.#.....#####!!.! #.....###.##.....# #.#
...##.#####.##########################.###.###.### ###.####.##.#
##.### #.........................##......#.##....# #.##.#.##.#
#...###.#########.######.######.############.##.# ...........#
###....................#.. .................# #####.##.##
######################## ################## ######

Drula St:18 Le:18 Wi:20 Dx:17 To:19 Ch:12 Ap: 1 Ma:13 Pe:10 N=
DV/PV: 30/25 H: 157(157) P: 104(104) Exp: 18/408098 WDL Sp: 96
Burdened Berserk

It was unfortunate for me to have found out too late that the logfile doesn't display what my character is standing on, something that had me squealing with surprise - Shining silver bracers. That endeavor ended with a happy Blup, an angry Shys, and a super happy Drula with brand new Bracers of War. Anyway, on with the death!

Top floor of the tower. Things are going good, I still have heaps of healing potions, nothing's hitting me in the Darkness and I still have around 400 castings of Nether bolt. Suddenly something does start hitting me, and I'm sitting there wondering, "Now what in the world can be hitting me?" Cast Light, it's a big purple Wyrm! Followed up the Light with a few nether bolts, surprised they were actually going through, and getting a little excited - I was actually doing damage to him this time. Since Drula was a drakeling, she had a speed of about 250 by this point, and was mostly regenerating what little damage was taken from the heat. When the Wyrm catches up, I take a turn to "l"ook, and to my surprise it's critically injured.

Hooray, I might get my second orb!
I might just be able to see what's passed that fiery wall on D:Something!
Let's go for a climactic ending to the Wyrm and kill him with my sword! <- Here's the stupid death part.
After all, 250 speed is pretty fast.
Right?

The Ancient Chaos Wyrm decides to fight to the death in a blind rage! The Ancient Chaos Wyrm critically hits you! You feel corrupted! The Ancient Chaos Wyrm critically hits you! You feel corrupted! Press ['\'] to check your corruptions. A sudden vigor flows throughout your body! You die...

Wrong... :(

Though I do have a possibly noobulous question to ask...I was draining pools in the CoC earlier, looking for a wish so I could get appropriate attire for the task at hand (mostly Red Dragon Scale Mail, though I think a Ring of Elemental Mastery would have done just as well...), when a small frog popped out of the pool and gave me a very interesting item:

Tools (']')
uncursed golden ball [10s]

And I've never seen this before. No mention of it anywhere else, except that it's used in a "Frog Quest".

Huh? I've never heard of a Frog Quest, nor seen it mentioned anywhere...is this something most people find when draining pools?

QuickDraw
01-21-2009, 12:48 PM
When I play drakeling, I always lure ACW to the level below, because you have over 300 speed there, more than on the last level. This is good enough to hit ACW 2 times and move 1 square. It`s riduculous how easy it is to complete ToTEF with a drakeling.

About the frog quest: you have to find random frog encounter in the wilderness with a nonhostile frog. If you chat with it and give it the ball, It`ll give you some Ap items like diadem of beauty. I`m not sure about it though.

rmcin329
01-22-2009, 02:58 AM
i don't know much about the frog quest, but one thing the person above me failed to mention, is that its only available to female characters. I THINK(not real sure, maybe someone who knows more will come along) it can be done more then once too.(though of course it'd require more pool drinking)

Laukku
01-22-2009, 04:34 AM
I remember someone once reporting that the quest can be done without pool drinking, and you can just talk to peaceful frogs. (Only when female,of course!)

Soirana
01-22-2009, 10:11 AM
I know some failures with frogs lowers Ap. Is it possible to kill char that way?

Grey
01-22-2009, 10:16 AM
Death by ugliness? Now that'd be interesting...