PDA

View Full Version : New challenge game

zzo38
01-23-2009, 07:20 PM
These are a few new challenge games I invented:

== Blind Man ==
Never wipe your face to remove the mud. Identified potions of blindness must be used as much as possible.

== Greedy Man ==
Turn on autopickup for all items and never drop or give away any items. No sacrificing, selling, or throwing items either. But you may throw things that are standard missiles, such as rocks, arrows (from a bow), etc. If you are a merchant you may also throw money. Also you may throw the chaos orbs into the anomaly. You can still eat food, drink potions, use up scrolls or books, dip things into potions, allow food to rot, etc. It is OK to use look command to see what items are next to you before going there to pick it up, but if you step on that space, you are forced to pick it up.

== Food Challenge ==
Restrict what you can eat to a certain subset, for example, kobolds, displacer beast, minotaurs, fortune cookies, and uniques. Scrolls of satiation may still be used, pray for food can still be used, potions can still be used.

== Dilithium Man ==
You must enter the small cave, descend from there to the unremarkable dungeon, and from there to the ToEF and CoC. DarkForge may be entered only as a result of taking the shortcut from the CoC. You may modify the map using ADOM Bot or modifying the executable file. Below this is the description of what to modify the map to.

*******.X*
###***..**
#~****.***
~~*xG*7***
Y0*5******
YY****#***
YYY*3*##**
YYY***###*

X = your starting position (and exit of Drakalor Chain)
7 = small cave
G = unremarkable dungeon exit
x = Caverns of Chaos
5 = fire tower
3 = DarkForge
* = mountains that are too high to be scaled without magic

Grey
01-24-2009, 12:06 AM
Several of these exist to some extent:

Zen Monk is the blind monk challenge, which Soirana has gotten impressively far on. Char is blind from the start and can never wipe face.

Starvation Man has been completed a few times, where no food can be eaten. Prayer is obviously a source of satiation, but piety costs for it increase exponentially.

Greedy Man I'm fairly sure I've seen before, or something like it. Not an enjoyable challenge, since you end up with a horrible inventory. The only real "challenge" element is getting SoA and avoiding shops (unless you can afford to buy out everything you step on).

DiLithium seems a little pointless - just UD + Lithium Man? And why the need for ADOMBotting?

Soirana
01-24-2009, 05:48 AM
Starvation - ideas i recall was infinite gremlin bomb and pot drinking. I think in one of eternium versions payer switched to pots cause that was faster.

Greedy was some of metals (lead?) challenge. General consensus was blessed girdle of greed and hope you do not hit acid trap.

Zen Monk iirc comes from Nethack blind samurai. Honestly i have no idea why Laszlo picked monk... (I'd rather play something like blind raging barbarian)

Laukku
01-24-2009, 08:38 AM
Zen Monk iirc comes from Nethack blind samurai. Honestly i have no idea why Laszlo picked monk... (I'd rather play something like blind raging barbarian)

I believe it is a reference to some blind Zen or someting... The proper name of the NetHack equivalent is "Zen samurai".

Soirana
01-24-2009, 04:19 PM
Honestly i always believed samurai's where picked in Nethack for only one reason.

They start with blindfold.

Ars
01-24-2009, 05:26 PM
Monks have the benefit of the wall kick which helps navigating though, I don't know if that was one reason to pick monk. But of course some other classes would be better still.

gut
01-24-2009, 06:55 PM
> Zen Monk iirc comes from Nethack blind samurai. Honestly i have no idea why Laszlo picked monk...

>> I believe it is a reference to some blind Zen or someting...

>>> wall kick which helps navigating though, I don't know if that was one reason to pick monk.

The 'blind monk' story is maybe a cultural thing. America and some
(most?) asian countries find it endearing I suppose (I know I do!),
and I'm a bit surprised that it doesn't seem to be universal. There
have been hundreds year old legends:

------------------
folktales of Zatoichi - Ichi the blind monk. Ichi carried a sword hidden in his walking stick and roamed feudal Japan righting wrongs and defending the weak from the strong. He was Japan?s Zorro but with one major exception, he was blind. This did not seem to hinder his skill with a sword and curiously the Japanese public did not seem to question the character?s authenticity. Being a blind man did not detract from what people thought he was capable of. It is true though that Zatoichi was special in another way, he was a martial artist.
-------------------

Along with modern day TV shows, such as 'Kung Fu':
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kung_Fu_(TV_series)

-------------------
Caine's childhood training in the monastery by his teachers, the blind Master Po (Keye Luke) and Master Kan (Philip Ahn). Part of the appeal of the series was undoubtedly the emphasis laid, via the flashbacks, on the mental and spiritual power that Caine had gained from his rigorous training. In these flashbacks, Master Po calls his young student "Grasshopper" to remind him of how much he still had to learn.
---------------------