PDA

View Full Version : Poisoned and a Failed Last Ditch Effort

Deathgeese
02-16-2009, 06:33 PM
So, just made it to the first floor of the Dwarven Halls. Ran into a room full of Giant Spiders and an Elven Princess. I stayed in the hallway so I'd only have to fight one at a time. Anyway, the Princess was finally next in the killing order. However, I didn't know she could actually, ya know, poison me that badly. Before I knew it I had half my HP gone and was losing about 10 HP per turn from the poison alone. It was at this point that I switched to coward mode and tried to run. But the wench summoned more help and I got trapped by spider on the other side of me. In retrospect, I probably could've killed the Spider and got out of there without dying, but at the time I didn't want to take the chance of going into anything but coward mode.

So, I started hunting through my inventory of stuff to see what I had. I saw I had a potion of invisibility and drank that not knowing at all if it would help. It didn't. And before I knew it I had 8 HP left.

I sat there for a few more minutes trying to think of my next move before deciding to hunt through my inventory again. Much to my surprise I saw that all along I had a potion of CURE POISON! That would've been nice to know about when I still had 80 HP. Anywho, I drink that down and manage to survive the next round of attacks. But, I still only had 8 HP left. So, in a last ditch effort I begin drinking every potion in my inventory (because I knew I didn't have any scrolls that could help). The first potion turned out to be some booze. So, that was pretty cool and I survived that turn thankfully. The next potion I drank was, of all things, a potion of poison.

I died that turn.

Silfir
02-16-2009, 10:55 PM
Dark elven princess in the Dwarven Halls?

I'd probably have turned around and went for the forest in your case. Wasting time killing spiders (especially with 80 HP, which is pretty low for anyone) in the Dwarven Halls is not a wise thing to do. I think because of the danger level even the weaker-seeming monsters end up being more experienced and thus more of a threat.

Deathgeese
02-17-2009, 12:44 AM
Lol. Well, that was actually my first time in the Dwarven Halls. So, I didn't know what to expect. My original HP was 113, but I got knocked down to 80 through poison and daggers. But thanks for the advice. There were definitely a lot of ways for me to have escaped that situation, but I totally didn't think of any of them at the time. I'm pretty sure I had at least ONE divine intervention saved up. Not only that, but I had a wand of door creation I could have used to make an escape route.

I've already got a lvl 8 Paladin at the arena with a couple spells (darkness and divine key). I think I'm really liking playing a Paladin because I start out with healing (not too much of an advantage, but it makes things a lot easier.

mike
02-17-2009, 12:48 AM
Invisibility would've been perfect before the fight... it doesn't work on something once you've engaged it in melee. But yeah, the best solution is to either stay out of DH (it's an out-of-depth area) until you can handle it, or only go through it with certain utilities: invis, monster detection, or magic mapping. 80 hp can be basically one hit worth of damage for some things generated in there.

gut
02-17-2009, 09:05 AM
I use Silfir's recommended approach. If I see something
(anything!) out of my league, I run back for the stairs.

Always remember though, that prayer is one of the most
powerful things in ADOM. Maybe it's THE most powerful
thing.