PDA

View Full Version : RNG is cruel)

_Ln_
03-10-2009, 07:50 PM
I decided to start a wizard today (with 3 wins, UNE among them, I wanted something exciting, like overpowered spellcaster, killing everything xD). She happened to become a Cup-born drakeling named Lilith.
Quite nice stats, Сure Light Wounds and Lightning bolt spellbooks - I thought it would be easy.
So, the funny part begins:
1) PoGA in backpack - cool, but not so surprising)
2) PoCC in black market - wow, smth more surprising
3) Another Spellbook of CLW in PC1 - read it out - 600 points
4) Chaotic altar on PC2 - well, I decided to leave PC to get L, then return and sac all those ants, unfortunately, they blocked the staircase and then I killed them all) right after that I killed an orc who dropped a whip, hehe)
5) PC3, I picked up a potion, lying in the corridor - it was PoCC, I was like 'wtf?!'
6) PC3, some time later - a booby-trapped door leaves me with 0 PV, but, hell, I have a healing spell!
7) A berserker right after the door, who was exceptionally fast -> RIP Lilith

Potions ('!')
uncursed potion of potential learning [4s]
uncursed potion of gain attributes [4s]
uncursed potion of healing [4s]
uncursed potion of balance [4s]
uncursed potion of cure corruption [2s]
Scrolls ('?')
blessed scroll of identify [2s]
uncursed scroll of repair [2s]
uncursed scroll of familiar summoning [2s] <- this finally exploded my brain

Probably the strangest character I've ever had :)

vogonpoet
03-11-2009, 08:02 AM
Jebige. The RNG giveth, and the RNG taketh away.

Alternatively, you could have run back to the black market, sold the !oCC for safe keeping, and bought some PV with the takings (perhaps after bolting the master thief).

Elone
03-11-2009, 04:38 PM
A wrongly spelled curseword, Vogonpoet? =P

vogonpoet
03-12-2009, 04:25 PM
The spelling is fine here methinks... mileage may vary depending upon region.

As for whether its a curseword... certainly the literal translation is not very polite, but in this particular context it means something like "damn that's bad, but hey, c'est la vie, what can one do? ... fuck it, who cares? But damn, that's bad".

A complex word to translate indeed, and the topic of endless debate here in Novi Sad whenever native english speakers with an appreciation for Serbian get together down the pub with the locals and get properly hammered :)
;-D

vp

Elone
03-13-2009, 02:52 AM
Novi Sad? Wow, you're not so far at all! Maybe about 100-150km. And yes, now I'm even more certain you got the spelling wrong (dont be offended tho, not that the word deserved any special care). The spelling is same in whole country. It's made of two words and not one. Maybe you dont realise it, but within your longish (quoted) explanation, the exact 2-word translation is hidden.

vogonpoet
03-13-2009, 08:23 AM
Fair enough re lack of space, but a two word translation? Nope. Not unless its a very cavalier translation, failing to take into account all sorts of cultural usage connotations in the original and target languages...

In my more trollish moments, I like to argue that there really aren't any swear words in Serbian, as all of them seem to be in fairly common usage everywhere in all social situations, whereas at least in some parts of the UK there remains one word, sometimes even two, which maintain an aura of taboo.

100-150 km huh? Interesting... N S E or W? Or should that be S J I ili Z?

Elone
03-13-2009, 07:01 PM
It's two words, sorry. It's made of two gramatically proper words, which are in common use in whole Serbia (even in other contexts). I can PM my explanation to you if you wish, I'd rather not do it here, even if other dont understand fully. You're right about there not being cursewords in Serbia... Curses are an everyday thing, and (maybe sadly) a big part of our language. I've been researching, and there's about 40 serbian equivalents the F word here. And I took it from a list from 1991, and just think how much more could have been added in last 18 years. Of course, that's just cursewords. We have a very rich language in all other areas too.

As for my location, well, I'm SW from Belgrade if that helps.

Silfir
03-13-2009, 09:11 PM
A thread on a bad-fortuned wizard in a roguelike game has now turned into a debate over the grammatical fineties of serbian profanity?

You guys are all crazy. I love this forum.

vogonpoet
03-13-2009, 09:50 PM
[FONT=Courier New]It's two words, sorry.

Hang on - think we got wires crossed like an old school R232 null modem.

Happy to stand corrected on the grammar/word count, my post was meant to imply that I don't believe any good translation into english of the curse in question could consist of just two words, hence my rather long version.

Gaa, now we have fallen into the classic swear word trap. Every year at EXIT, people assume I know no Serbian at all, and only ever want to teach me rude words - no one ever wants to teach you important stuff like ziveli (prost (waves at Silfir), cheers) and pivo (bier, beer) or even a simple dobar dan (guten tag, hello).

For the record, I agree that Serbian is a rich language indeed, I just wish it didnt have so many cases.

SW of Belgrade, that would make it possibly S of NS, some indeterminate distance .. I shall guess Valjevo, which is possibly too close, unless your lower and upper limits of 100-150 km were as the crow flies and road distances...

Elone
03-13-2009, 11:01 PM
Before Valjevo. Near ?abac, which is about 90km from Belgrade, but before Loznica. Valjevo is only a little south of Loznica. Hmm, how to explain about the word... Oh, the spoiler quote trick.

Jebiga = Jebi ga = Fuck him or Fuck it. Does it make more sense now? I too am saddened that in Serbia, you first get to learn cursewords and then maybe something else. I dont curse though. I remember that there was an old movie where the main character taught an older german lady that "cheers" is said as "jebiga" to embarrass her in public... She said it when they were cheering. It backfired on the guy when she told everyone who taught her.
So our language has too many cases? Yes, that's one of hardest sides of the grammar. Although, it does allow you to speak with less words, and often say the same thing in many many ways if you wish so. In english you would say "I did it", but in serbian, you could form the word "did" so that "I" would not be needed. Of course, you can still use the "I" form if you wish.

Gut: The thread is not only derailed, but hijacked. Teehee ^^

VP: People say that EXIT is quite an event, but I havent been there yet. Might as well sometime soon.

Grey
03-14-2009, 12:48 AM
Gaa, now we have fallen into the classic swear word trap. Every year at EXIT, people assume I know no Serbian at all, and only ever want to teach me rude words - no one ever wants to teach you important stuff like ziveli (prost (waves at Silfir), cheers) and pivo (bier, beer) or even a simple dobar dan (guten tag, hello).

Keep meaning to go to EXIT, but looks like I'll be in America instead this summer. I'll remember "pivo" for future reference though...

vogonpoet
03-16-2009, 04:13 PM
EXIT is indeed well worth a visit. good vibes

Elone
03-16-2009, 09:24 PM
I just woke up, and I kitty-yawned, and am still drowsy... I read it as "EXIT is indeed well worth a wish."

sgeos
03-17-2009, 02:03 AM
As in a wand of door creation, or a wand of teleport or something else?

Elone
03-17-2009, 04:04 AM
I'm so confused.

vogonpoet
03-18-2009, 08:19 AM
Wishing for EXIT should probably result in a randomly generated (ie up or down) staircase appearing at the PCs location... with obvious exceptions such as D48, D50, where restrictions in direction would apply - ha, maybe on D48 you would get a 50% chance of this special message:
'The djinni whispers some magic words, a staircase pixie appears and tries to tunnel downwards, the forces of chaos are unleash a mighty storm of pixie shredding (all pixies on level slain), your wish fails'.

In general, I don't think the wish would be too overpowered, cos by the time you have a spare wish, you normally have means of escaping situations, but it might be fun to have implemented nonetheless.

Good thing ADOMs next release with hundreds of new game features is so imminient : )