PDA

View Full Version : Reminds me of something, this could be cool if used correctly

Sradac
03-19-2008, 04:20 AM
This was posted on the blog in response to TB's post on the calendar system:

m_bowwarrior // Mar 17, 2008 at 9:28 am

what do you think about leaving people dying, BUT very important people (us too??) will have after dying a ghost who stay in the vicinity of the current location of the leaving people.

So, you could have:
-old quest with ghosts
-son of the ghost who take care of the workshop or whatever else
-maybe a parrallel world, the ghost world, with lot of interresting things.

But I think it is not the most important: during my various games in adom, I never play more than 10 years if I remember? so it seems to me incredible long to think about centuries.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If any of you remember the old roguelike Omega, it had something very similar to this. The starter city had a bunch of houses in it. Most were abandoned some had occupents. On players death he had a chance to "haunt" one of these houses meaning a unique Ghost monster was created, named after the player with the players stats though i think the ghost is slightly stronger. This also applied to dungeons as well, you die on d14 theres a chance te next unlucky adventuerer will encounter your restless spirit. Now I know this wouldnt wokr quite like that as each world is generated differently. But maybe a chance to make a ghost player on every death and place it in a location relative to the PC's level. Meaning, it would be completely ridiculous to place a level 50 wizard ghost in a kobold cave a level 3 PC was sent to clear out he might as well do a SHIFT+Q and avoid the embarassment of being killed by his former self. Maybe every single dead character can be a ghost and will be placed SOMEWHERE in the world. After all, its huge and they'd be pretty spread out. I dont think it'd be too difficult to achieve The Creator already said PC's and NPC's are pretty much exactly the same all the game would have to do is save the players stats and create a monster named after that with the GENERATE_ONCE_PERGAME or whatever flag attatched to it.
Maybe give the ghost a chance to drop some loot of the old players too? That way once you die that awesome randart that was created isnt completely lost to the rng theres a chance a future adventurer could hunt down the ghost and claim it once again. New player class anyone? Ghost hunter, feel free to think of a better name. SPecializes in Harming the undead, not a paladin as they can turn undead and thats about it, but they get special abilities that only affect undead but would be pretty effective. Maybe from their guild they can get different quests put out by townsfolk to rid them of a pesky ghost? If the "place of your own" idea gets implemented you could start your own ghost hunter guild and name it "Ghost Busters" lol ok had to put some humor in .....

Kinda funny how I go from putting in cool player ghosts to a new class to making your own guild with alal kinds of copy-right infringements upon it.

M_bowwarrior
03-19-2008, 07:09 AM
Hmmmmm ! it sound great!
I wonder that someone could have a so wonderfull idea :rolleyes:

theotherhiveking
03-19-2008, 03:59 PM
This was posted on the blog in response to TB's post on the calendar system:

m_bowwarrior // Mar 17, 2008 at 9:28 am

what do you think about leaving people dying, BUT very important people (us too??) will have after dying a ghost who stay in the vicinity of the current location of the leaving people.

So, you could have:
-old quest with ghosts
-son of the ghost who take care of the workshop or whatever else
-maybe a parrallel world, the ghost world, with lot of interresting things.

But I think it is not the most important: during my various games in adom, I never play more than 10 years if I remember? so it seems to me incredible long to think about centuries.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If any of you remember the old roguelike Omega, it had something very similar to this. The starter city had a bunch of houses in it. Most were abandoned some had occupents. On players death he had a chance to "haunt" one of these houses meaning a unique Ghost monster was created, named after the player with the players stats though i think the ghost is slightly stronger. This also applied to dungeons as well, you die on d14 theres a chance te next unlucky adventuerer will encounter your restless spirit. Now I know this wouldnt wokr quite like that as each world is generated differently. But maybe a chance to make a ghost player on every death and place it in a location relative to the PC's level. Meaning, it would be completely ridiculous to place a level 50 wizard ghost in a kobold cave a level 3 PC was sent to clear out he might as well do a SHIFT+Q and avoid the embarassment of being killed by his former self. Maybe every single dead character can be a ghost and will be placed SOMEWHERE in the world. After all, its huge and they'd be pretty spread out. I dont think it'd be too difficult to achieve The Creator already said PC's and NPC's are pretty much exactly the same all the game would have to do is save the players stats and create a monster named after that with the GENERATE_ONCE_PERGAME or whatever flag attatched to it.
Maybe give the ghost a chance to drop some loot of the old players too? That way once you die that awesome randart that was created isnt completely lost to the rng theres a chance a future adventurer could hunt down the ghost and claim it once again. New player class anyone? Ghost hunter, feel free to think of a better name. SPecializes in Harming the undead, not a paladin as they can turn undead and thats about it, but they get special abilities that only affect undead but would be pretty effective. Maybe from their guild they can get different quests put out by townsfolk to rid them of a pesky ghost? If the "place of your own" idea gets implemented you could start your own ghost hunter guild and name it "Ghost Busters" lol ok had to put some humor in .....

Kinda funny how I go from putting in cool player ghosts to a new class to making your own guild with alal kinds of copy-right infringements upon it.

It works quite well in stone soup, i don't see any reason why it should not be implemented.

I like it.