PDA

View Full Version : ADOM story elements in JADE

Grey
03-19-2008, 07:51 AM
One of the things that makes ADOM stand out from many other roguelikes is the involving story. Of course JADE has to do better, but what will it inherit from its wonderful predecessor? As usual I have some thoughts that I'll give out in an overly verbose fashion...

ADOM's Ending

Obviously JADE's set some time after ADOM, but how does ADOM leave off? If Andor is still a force in the world then evidently a regular gate closing ending was achieved, most likely by a lawful or neutral character. One can derive a few things from this:

-The orb guardians are dead, and the orbs were placed in the anomalies.
-The gate was closed.
-Khelevaster may or may not have been saved.
-Many powerful chaos creatures were killed.
-Dwarftown was protected from its threats.
-Terinyo survived.
-Hotzy may or may not have been killed.
-White unicorn most likely was saved.
-Chaos Trinity most likely not recovered.
-Trident of the Red Rooster most likely not recovered.
-Emperor moloch likely to have not been killed.
-Weird tome may have been delivered to the Mad Minstrel.

So, using this as a basis my general guess would that Andy's on the warpath again, after vengeance for his previous setback. There may be other forces in play too.

Locations

Now I think most of us would like to see the Drakalor Chain again in JADE, even if it doesn't play a big role. After all the Chaos Gate needn't be reopened in the same place, right? And Andy may have found some other method of invading the world than a simple gate. But in general let's just consider how locations from ADOM could reappear:

Drakalor Chain

The lovely little valley that houses all our current character deaths. I think the shape of this could change with time. In particular the squareness of it will look unnatural in JADE's more open maps. Some of the mountains could be eroded down. Perhaps a volcano eroded some of the mountains, or maybe titans fleeing the chain after Chaos's defeat have made some lanscape changes. It should roughly have it's old shape, but be weathered into a style more fitting JADE's world map.

Terinyo

What has happened to this little farming village since the defeat of the forces of Corruption? Perhaps it's still a humble farming town, with a village elder and a sherrif and little quests to be done. Or maybe it's grown into a large lawful city, and Laweniwhatsit has been annexed (now some slums in the southeast of the city). I think there should definitely be a statue in the middle of the town, weathered beyond recognition of race or gender, of some champion that no one properly remembers. If you ask people they could just claim ignorance, or some might sprout rumours like "They say the hero once saved a puppy."

HMV

Whilst it's hard to see what would really becomes of this enclosed town, it has some potential. Maybe the state of Terinyo uses it for prisoners (with the hidden passage blocked and the SMC too dangerous to get through). Anyone going there would be at risk from the veteran criminals. Maybe breaking the law in Terinyo will get you sent there. Maybe it has instead become home to giant eagles. Or perhaps it's now a secret temple run by the Brothers and Sisters of Chaos.

Dwarftown

With corruption stopped and the Dwarven Halls cleared this place could become a big mining and smithing complex. The Dwarven Halls would be restored to their former glory and repopulated. Many great weapons and armour could be purchased here at high prices. Or instead maybe Kherab got some hold on the dwarven community in the past, and now the place is over-run by dark dwarves and their terrible constructs.

Infinite Dungeon

This was once a monument to order, corrupted by chaos. After closing the gate it could now be restored to its former glory: the Crystal Tower of Order. An infinitely high building stretching to the heavens. Each level is a beautiful pattern of crystals, all arranged in ordered geometric shapes, but different every time (like snowflakes). A true monument to the infinite beauty of order. It would be populated by lawful beings like ki-rins and unicorns, and tended to by priests, monks and powerful lawful guardians. At some high level one might find a great temple to a lawful god, or perhaps the ability to come face to face with the deity. High-powered chaotics and neutrals might have to assault this bastion of law (though obviously with great difficulty).

Chaos Plane

Briefly visited in the first game, maybe this colourful and jolly place could be allowing a little more tourism for the brave-hearted. Powerful chaotic PCs could explore it and find a whole other world to mess around in, with demons battling each other for supremacy and dark gods planning devious things. Lawfuls could invade it more thoroughly, trying to quell the major forces of chaos that lie therein.

Characters

Though most will be dead, some might be around, or their ancestors, or they may have made some great influence on the world.

Andor Drakon

Still alive and kicking, and out to corrupt the world again. However, his defeat centuries ago was terrible, and it's taken a long time for him to recover his troops and his power. During this time rivals may have cropped up, and he's no longer the only force of Chaos trying to rule or destroy the world. Or maybe lacking troops he has moved his physical manifestation from the Chaos Plane to Ancardia. He manipulates civilisations from the shadows whilst waiting for the opportunity to call his slowly strengthening forces to strike at the right time.

Gaab'Baay, Keriax and Malakai

The 3 guardians of the Chaos Trinity might still be at large, or maybe they have been succeeded by others. But the Chaos Trinity could still play an important role (an idea I expressed in the Religion thread was for the trinity to be used to resurrect the three lords of chaos from before Andor Drakon). The guardians may have new positions now. Gaab'Baay could be running a secret cult of chaos brothers and sisters, or other cults to dark gods. Malakai could be commanding his own army of chaos knights, wreaking havoc across the world. Keriax may have hidden himself somewhere else, in an even more inaccessible place, ever fearful of Andor Drakon sending troops after him to reclaim the crown.

The Mad Minstrel

This is the guy I want to see most again. I wrote a few of the songs he sings in ADOM, and want to write more for JADE. If not directly him or one of his descendants then maybe numerous minstrels in different towns could give similar songs. However I would really like to see a return of the real Mad Minstrel. Given his dark nature in ADOM, and the fact that the PC can deliver to him a tome that contains a hint about the Scroll of Omnipotence, it makes sense that he might have somehow acquired immortality. Not omnipotence obviously, but maybe he could help PCs that are searching for the scroll themselves (as well as using them for other dirty work he desires).

Blup

By the time of JADE he should be a much older and more matured water dragon, probably huge in size and power. No longer would he give such a simple reward as the swimming skill in exchange for carrot juice. He could be involved in much bigger quests, like the polluting of a lake by a big human city. He might also reward the player with the good old rune-covered trident in exchange for their services.

Khelevaster

Though obviously long dead, rumours of him should abound. Especially the bit about how he single-handedly stopped all the forces of chaos. Good ol' Khelevaster, eh? There should perhaps be some great mage's school in his honour. It might be possible to gain access to some of his writings and memoires, which would contain important information about the elemental orbs and the trident of the red rooster.

Nuurg-Vaarn

The Chaos Archmage suffered an embarassing defeat in the last game, but with extreme magics he has managed to be reformed as an emperor lich. Now he serves himself, not Chaos, and rules over a huge land of the dead, sending his undead legions to attack the civilisations he despises.

(continued in next post...)

Grey
03-19-2008, 07:52 AM
(damnable word limit...)

Items

Many important artifacts appear in ADOM, and some of the key ones could have a welcome reappearance.

The Si

Surely we all love this? Would be nice to see it again, especially knowing the history of why it appeared in ADOM and why it does what it does.

Ring of the Master Cat

Maybe it could be considered boring to contain this again, but the whole kitty thing in ADOM is a great gameplay addition. Perhaps the reward would be different this time, or perhaps the powers of the ring have changed, but something like it would be quite welcome.

The Elemental Orbs

Khelly says these used to be orbs of balance. So what if they were restored to that? They could be protected by powerful guardians of neutrality, such as druids, animals spirits, fantastic creatures and elementals, in far-off places associated with each element. An evil character might want to attain them so he can corrupt them again and gain access to the chaos plane and reap huge powers. A lawful person might want to steal them to stop the forces of balance from interfering in the world after chaos is defeated. A neutral person might want to protect them from these imbalancing forces, or might want to recover them to use as powerful artifacts for the balancing of the world (in which case defeating the guardians is about proving oneself worthy as champion for the Pillars of Balance). Their powers would be different, with no corruption obviously, though they might have a negative effect by draining your highest stats.

The Chaos Trinity

As mentioned above, they could reappear as key artifacts to reawaken ancient chaos gods from the dawn of time. Their powers should be a bit different - less negative stuff to actually make them useable, but still with some risks to using them.

Weird Tome

Would be great to find out the secrets behind it and the Scroll of Omnipotence. Finding out about who the hell Lubaf and Alhacrast were would be cool too.

Trident of the Red Rooster

If attainable this should be difficult to find again. Perhaps you have to uncover the secrets behind the crumpled scroll yourself, instead of relying on Khelevaster to do the work for you. Maybe you have to find out who made it, and why, and how it was imprisoned by chaos.

I'm sure others would have a lot of similar ideas as to how tribute could be made to ADOM in its successor, and intersting ways for old features to reappear.

theotherhiveking
03-19-2008, 02:55 PM
Voted yes! O RLY? this isn't a poll.. DAMN! well, I vote yes, period.

Ars
03-19-2008, 06:10 PM
The CoC could have been caved in downwards from Dwarftown, as a further safety measure by the dwarves or just as a natural effect caused by the destruction of the gate.

And what about the Minotaur Maze? Maybe that and other strong evil places could be gone, as there was a peaceful time for so long that most chaotic places would've been destroyed or at least relocated to even more isolated places.

But I think the game shouldn't revolve too heavily around Drakalor Chain, though it could be an area that's more irregulat than the rest of the world. Though one possibility would be that some locations' fates would be randomized between games - so you never know when you start that are the game that are there still ratlings holding the arena or were they wiped out by a hero who wanted to stop those unrattish fights...

And no bug temple please!

rmcin329
03-19-2008, 08:52 PM
lot of nice ideas here, hopefully some of them will be implemented.

Sradac
03-19-2008, 11:12 PM
way too many good ideas. while alot of these sound like they'd be ADOM 2 maybe some of them could be in JADE. I mean if TheCreator were to implement all this stuff he'd hjave to re-write alll of adom in Java then make changes where he thinks his history went THEN make the JADE world. I really really think the drakalor chain needs to be in JADE just because it wouldnt make sense if it wasnt there. Maybe put it in a random location every time too, after all no one as seen a map of all of ancardia have they? Didnt think so! So no one knows where it is so it could make sense to be somewhere different every time. I think some of the items from the first game should definatly be in JADE. Maybe put the Si at the bottom of the rift next to some broken climbing gear? We know what happened to that unfortunate adventurer. Or for even more humor place a dead adventurer with broken climbing gear and a heap of 50 si showing how their spawning on the climb down caused him to become far over weight. Thoes damnable Si...

The elemental gauntlets. Another thing not mentioned was the dwarven graveyard, somethings gotta be done there. Maybe make it an end game raid place? Alot of those ideas above about the tower of order, the chaos plane, and the balance orbs put ideas in my head for huge endgame content. Since JADE is going to be so huge I always pictured it as being a lot more epic than adom was. On the scales of like a 50 person raid in everquest, huge battles against impossible odds. Not comparing ADOM and JADE to EQ just saying that kind of greatness. Maybe get hirables and pets and slaves and all that and go on a raid on guardians of balance to retrieve the orbs and corrupt them yet again in the ancient circle for an end game event for chaotic PC's. Storm into and attempt to finally bring order to the plane of chaos as a lawful end game event. And uh...well try and protect the orbs for neutrals lol.

rmcin329
03-22-2008, 12:40 AM
way too many good ideas. while alot of these sound like they'd be ADOM 2 maybe some of them could be in JADE.

Uh go look here http://www.adom.de/jade/index.php3 On that page its stated that JADE is ADOM II. JADE is simply the codename for it

Dougy
03-22-2008, 01:25 AM
Well, I'm hoping that JADE will be quite different to ADOM, but it would be nice to see some of those items listed above again. I quite like the Mad Minstrel and the si making a return. I'm not in favour of powerful weapons/armour returning, we've already fallen in love with them, lets fall in love with something new this time.

Perhaps Andor, imprisioned inside the TotRR, turns it into a powerful weapon of pure evil. Possibly he could be released from this prison.

In any case, I expect we won't hear anything from TB about this - I'm sure we'll just have to explore JADE ourselves.

yisk
03-22-2008, 05:48 AM
I suggest to make one of the major enemies the former tiny girl who has transformed into an ancient witch. Also it is not forgotten about her old ugly dog. =))))

Tennforce
04-01-2008, 09:29 PM
But I think the game shouldn't revolve too heavily around Drakalor Chain, though it could be an area that's more irregulat than the rest of the world. Though one possibility would be that some locations' fates would be randomized between games - so you never know when you start that are the game that are there still ratlings holding the arena or were they wiped out by a hero who wanted to stop those unrattish fights...

I got sort of the same idea...

Since Jade will have random beginnings (or is it still being discussed?) why not have the fate of the Drakalor Chain be randomized as well?
It could create like a rather big side quest without taking too much focus from the main story/quest.
Like in some cases Terinyo could be destroyed by the bandits of Lawenilothehl and in some cases it may have flourished into a big city which exterminated the bandit settlement.
Some scenarios may have Dwarftown taken over by Kherab and his foul creations and in some cases Dwarftown might have gained control over Darkforge (like mentioned by another TS)

These diffrent scenarios could have a sort of side story quest linked to them, like ridding Dwarftown of Kherab or chaotic PCs helping bandits invade the big city of Terinyo.

You get the picture ;)

Sradac
04-01-2008, 11:53 PM
I got sort of the same idea...

Since Jade will have random beginnings (or is it still being discussed?) why not have the fate of the Drakalor Chain be randomized as well?
It could create like a rather big side quest without taking too much focus from the main story/quest.
Like in some cases Terinyo could be destroyed by the bandits of Lawenilothehl and in some cases it may have flourished into a big city which exterminated the bandit settlement.
Some scenarios may have Dwarftown taken over by Kherab and his foul creations and in some cases Dwarftown might have gained control over Darkforge (like mentioned by another TS)

These diffrent scenarios could have a sort of side story quest linked to them, like ridding Dwarftown of Kherab or chaotic PCs helping bandits invade the big city of Terinyo.

You get the picture ;)

love that idea, solves some of the wondering well why would the drakalor chain have peace if a PC got an elder chaos god ending, or why would it be overrun if they character closed the gate etc. Good idea!

yisk
04-02-2008, 06:52 AM
I think some ADOM NPCs can be changed into associated characters in JADE. Kranf'Niest (as Frankenstein) can construct Kranf'Niest's Monster. Gaab-Baay (as Baba Yaga) has an evil brother Koschey the Immortal... etc.

F50
04-03-2008, 04:18 AM
Good thinking with random-ish fates for each character.

Perhaps the RotMC found its way into the hands of a Werwolf Emperor?

The Si and the Rune-Covered Trident I want to see again too.

Some more unanswered questions:

What is Griff's mighty weapon and what happened to it?
What exactly did Rolf do?
What is the history (and future) of Big Punch?
Did Nurrag-Varrn take Nonnak's sword? :D If not, who did?

Epythic
04-05-2008, 11:31 AM
Perhaps the RotMC found its way into the hands of a Werwolf Emperor?
Not if it explodes as soon as you kill a cat.

[/QUOTE]The Si [...] I want to see again too.[/QUOTE]
Me too.

F50
04-05-2008, 08:26 PM
Obviously, some course of events would have to be established as cannon for JADE. If the PC in ADOM dies, that doesn't mean Andy has taken over the world for JADE.

Laukku
07-30-2011, 03:53 PM
I figured this was a good time to bump this thread. TB posted about this on his blog: http://www.ancientdomainsofmystery.com/2011/07/jade013-sneak-preview.html

Dudley
07-30-2011, 06:19 PM
"-Terinyo survived."
Someone forgot someone called gut, and yes, it's possible to slay a whole town and stay neutral.

gut
07-30-2011, 11:32 PM
Since grey showed his obvious bias in his list of 'knowns', I suppose
I shall now feel free to list my own.

-Khelevaster has died horribly, as has all of his descendents, do to
the tendancy of healers to disintegrate upon saving one's life

-The profession of shopkeeper is regarded as more dangerous than moloch
wrestling, resulting in black market type shop prices for all.

-Terinyo is now the most xenophobic village in the history of Ancardia,
hating gray elves above all. They have a special mistrust of shopkeepers
as well.

-Terinyo has no trees, as their only guardian was killed long ago.

-Lawenilothehl has no beggars. After the last remaining one was publicly
force-fed his dearest friend and poisoned, everyone else just always
figured there must be better ways of getting along.

-All the steel golems in darkforge are still around, though the pool
room is pretty much dry.

-All ancient dwarven rulers now begin their reign by recieving a lecture
on the importance of being chained to one's thrown by anti-magical chains
at all times.

-Dwarven elders no longer bother giving out side quests to adventurers.

-Andy has an insane hatred of gray elves.

Soirana
08-01-2011, 01:55 PM
-Lawenilothehl has no beggars. After the last remaining one was publicly
force-fed his dearest friend and poisoned, everyone else just always
figured there must be better ways of getting along.

Bullshit, we all know beggars are same outlaws, who violated rules of crime world and have received temporal punishment.

As long as there are outlaws and local crime lords where will be beggars.

Dogbreath
08-14-2011, 08:18 AM
What about recreating ADOM I using the JADE engine? It seems more of a fan project (should TB ever decide to release the source code, or at least some game maker for creating your own levels, items, and monsters and editing certain variables), but it'd be a lot of fun to play through the original story again in a better engine. :)

Al-Khwarizmi
08-14-2011, 08:37 PM
Spoiler: I'm currently diving the CoC in JADE... :P

m4davis
08-17-2011, 03:35 AM
It somwhat happened