PDA

View Full Version : 7-day Roguelikes

Grey
03-17-2009, 09:11 AM
The folks over at the Roguelike Development newsgroup have just had a competition to code a new roguelike in just 7 days. I took part, and failed (see my blog for details), but many others produced some amazing results. Have a look at some of the great entries here:

http://roguebasin.roguelikedevelopment.org/index.php?title=7DRL_Contest_2009

Particularly fun, from what I've played so far, are TrueGod and TetrisRL. Jacob's Matrix is also an extremely pretty title with some very novel features.

mike
03-19-2009, 03:33 PM
Yeah, I heard about the competition. I thought you had a good premise. Viewed some of the others a bit. Man, I liked Powder, but just the description of Jacob's Matrix makes my head hurt. =P

Grey
03-19-2009, 04:47 PM
Jacob's Matrix is extremely cool, but can be quite confusing. Also fairly demanding processor-wise - I think it's the first game I've run that's maxed out 3 of my cores! Never imagined a roguelike could do that.

Silfir
03-19-2009, 06:58 PM
I imagine that's pretty easy to do if you want to. Code efficiency isn't something people concentrate on in a seven day tournament ;)

I've stumbled on a game called "Eternal Digger". It's quite enjoyable for a while, and I bet geology majors would have some fun with it. Inspired, of course, by the ever-popular Dwarf Fortress.