PDA

View Full Version : Do's and don'ts for newbies

rmcin329
03-19-2008, 07:14 PM
I thought a thread of not too spoiling but basic tips for those new to ADOM would be nice, it'd go something like this. Feel free to add to my currently short list, i'll add more as i think of them.

1. Slings can be handy for staying alive at low lvls

2. Don't go drinking from pools, bad things can happen (good things too however)

3. don't go around eating every corpse you see becuase if you do you'll come to regret it sooner or later

theotherhiveking
03-19-2008, 07:22 PM
I thought a thread of not too spoiling but basic tips for those new to ADOM would be nice, it'd go something like this. Feel free to add to my currently short list, i'll add more as i think of them.

1. Slings can be handy for staying alive at low lvls

2. Don't go drinking from pools, bad things can happen (good things too however)

3. don't go around eating every corpse you see becuase if you do you'll come to regret it sooner or later

Damn! you copied my signature! >_< :cool:

4. Get food preservation to high lvl ASAP.

5. If you get some repeated items, go to a shop and tell to seem them, but don't, the shopkepper will offer more gold for high quality ones, is a good way to keep the best ones.

6. Don't use the scrolls of identify in the first item you find, try with scrolls and potions and with items after applying the point 5.

rmcin329
03-19-2008, 07:26 PM
7. don't wear that new armor or weapon as soon as you find it, it could be cursed

8. don't wander in the wilderness a lot when you don't have much food

lol sorry about the sig its all i could think of, and its true. I guess we both just aren't good enough to finish....yet.

Macros
03-19-2008, 07:45 PM
7. don't wear that new armor or weapon as soon as you find it, it could be cursed

Not always. In early game usually it's worth to wear unidentified armours, if you're sure that it will give some decent PV. If you will find something like ring mail [240s], you should wear it. Even if it's cursed, sooner or later you'll find some holy water(or altar) or scroll of uncursing. High PV is a life saver at lower levels(at highers too, but for low lvl it's essential), and you should try improve it as much as you can.

Some my advices:

-try to get poison resistance as soon as possible

-if you want to visit HMV, be sure to generate SMC at level 1. You don't have to rush through SMC to UD instantly, going to ID before it in order to find some good equipment and gaining few levels, or completing village elder quest(if you don't have healing) is good idea

-don't try to clear whole levels and kill every single monster - sometimes it's better to run away, you can always come back later when you'll be stronger

-try to get detect traps skill from master thief as soon as possible(if you didn't had it at start)

-altar(of your aligment) is a good way to get rid off monster which is too strong for you(be careful and try not to step on altar if you're chaotic, also it won't work on certain monsters)

Worst Player... ever
03-19-2008, 08:43 PM
14. Do NOT play as if you have a time limit. Don't worry about corruption - just try to stay alive. You can always come back to a place later. If you can live long enough that corruption becomes a problem, you are not a newbie anymore.

15. Healing is absolutely essential. If your character doesn't have it, then perform the quest that will enable you to get it.

16. ID'ing Rules of Thumb: If you get more than one item that stacks, like 2 Leather Armors, it's very likely that they are 'uncursed' and can be tried on. Likewise, Identify is the most common kind of scroll. If you have 5 scrolls in the early game and 3 are of the same type, that 3 will usually be identify.

17. Don't be afraid to hang out in the ID and collect potions, spellbooks, wands, and scrolls. Levels 7-9 are non-corrupting and generate some decent stuff. Besides, trying to progress in the game without some good wands, potions of water, and potions of invisibility is like having your character run with scissors.

18. It's been said before.. make altars your friends. Even if you don't get crowned, you need holy water and you need to be able to pray. A very pleased God/Goddess can do a lot for you.

spectre
03-20-2008, 12:05 AM
19. Kicking down locked doors is always a hazard (unless you make sure with Detect Traps). You can reduce the risk somewhat (but not completely) by not standing right in front of the door.

20. When you are about to die, zap all unIDed wands, read all scrolls and drink all potions. If you're dead, you won't need them anyway.

21. Remember, that a prayer while in need can often save your hide.

22. If you're starting to get too cocky, feelin' invincible, it's exacly the time to take a break (-:

23. Pay attention to the minute details the game feeds to you. If the message is a wee bit different from the usual you get, something may be amiss.

Sradac
03-20-2008, 12:32 AM
Dont listen to blup when you first hear about missing his mommy and go strolling through the local river at cLvl 2

Siriah
03-20-2008, 08:53 AM
I'm not sure about this, some corpses do have negative effects, but most of them won't kill you. By experimenting you can learn what's good food and what isn't, which helps a lot against starvation.

24. Chat with friendly creatures, especially if they seem special in some way. Talking to them is more useful than killing them.

25. If you keep getting killed in certain locations, avoid them until you're better equipped to deal with them.

26. Pay attention to the songs of the Mad Minstrel. They contain advice that might save your life.

rmcin329
03-20-2008, 04:28 PM
actually kobolds are quite common early game, and their corpse means sickness, which to a lot of low lvl or "new" players(especially newbies who might not know to use first aid) means death.

Siriah
03-20-2008, 05:45 PM
actually kobolds are quite common early game, and their corpse means sickness, which to a lot of low lvl or "new" players(especially newbies who might not know to use first aid) means death.
A character would have to be pretty weak to die directly to kobold sickness, as it doesn't reduce HP if you're already below half (although it doesn't make survival easier). Either way, after the first time you'll know that they're not good to eat, and can avoid them.

Smite
05-06-2008, 10:07 AM
Here's my two cents:

27. Changing tactics often will come in handy later

28. Level up missile weapons against easy-moderate monsters whenever you can

29. When tunneling into any temple make crooked paths and/or multiple paths to avoid being trapped or zapped at the wrong time.

30. Scrolls of darkness and cursed potions of invisibility are great against dopplegangers in the early game

31. If upon 'l'ooking at an & symbol you notice the word "demon" is missing then you should probably be very careful

Grey
05-06-2008, 01:54 PM
31. If upon 'l'ooking at an & symbol you notice the word "demon" is missing then you should probably be very careful

"Hmm, that looks a new type of demon, I wonder what it co- what... no, no it can't be, surely not! Agh, a forge! A FORGE! Evacuate the town! Everyone run, run, we're going to die, DIIIIIEEEEEEEE!!!!"

*runs out of Glod's smithy as the dwarves looks on in confusion*

gut
05-06-2008, 07:58 PM
You rub the ring...and a huge white djinni
appears enveloped by a large cloud. (more)

"Ahhhhhh! It's some kind of freakish deamon!"

"Being a ring djinni I will gran- "

"It's trying to put a spell on me! Out of my way!"

"No, wait a second. I was going to grant y-"

"HEEEELLLLLLP! It's gonna kill meeee!"

"No you moron! I was going to... ahh never mind."

theotherhiveking
05-07-2008, 03:07 PM
"Hmm, that looks a new type of demon, I wonder what it co- what... no, no it can't be, surely not! Agh, a forge! A FORGE! Evacuate the town! Everyone run, run, we're going to die, DIIIIIEEEEEEEE!!!!"

*runs out of Glod's smithy as the dwarves looks on in confusion*

AHAHHUAUHAUHAUHAUHAUHUHAUHAUHAUHA UHAUHAUHAUHUHAUHA UHA UHAUH UHA UHAUHAUHAUHAUHAUH!

BlU_sKrEEm
05-07-2008, 06:52 PM
Off the top of my head:

Heavier items have a greater chance of being cursed

Setting your money as ammo prevents thieves from stealing it.

Coward is your friend.

Avoid drinking unidentified potions.

Do not explore the Puppy cave, no matter how tempted you may be. You might want to avoid the puppy cave altogether until you are more experienced.

Grey
05-07-2008, 06:56 PM
Heavier items have a greater chance of being cursed

Uh, what...?

Elone
05-07-2008, 08:13 PM
When wishing for 100 (or 1000) items, usually 8-10% are blessed, and 9-12% are cursed.

That's all.

carfullofpandas
05-08-2008, 04:25 PM
-if you want to visit HMV, be sure to generate SMC at level 1. You don't have to rush through SMC to UD instantly, going to ID before it in order to find some good equipment and gaining few levels, or completing village elder quest(if you don't have healing) is good idea

As this is for newbies, perhaps someone could explain HMV, SMC, UD, ID....

Kato
05-08-2008, 05:39 PM
As this is for newbies, perhaps someone could explain HMV, SMC, UD, ID....

HMV = High Mountain Village. The only way to get to the HMV is through the SMC/UD.
SMC = Small Mountain Cave. This cave is to the northwest of Terinyo. It is only one floor and can be one of the most dangerous places in the game. The monsters get stronger the more levels you have. It's a good idea to generate the floor while still lvl 1 and then come back to it later. There is a down staircase in the HMV that leads to the UD.
UD = Uninteresting Dungeon? I think that's what it is. There are 7 or 8 floors here and they can be pretty tough at times. Not a place for an early adventurer to go, that's for sure. But if you get to the bottom, you will find some up stairs that lead to an enclosed area with the HMV.
ID = Infinite Dungeon. Go almost directly south of Terinyo...slightly to the east and you will find it. It is infinite and every floor is generated new every time you enter the floor.

Silfir
05-08-2008, 05:59 PM
The Unremarkable, or Uninteresting Dungeon, is also misnamed - it's VERY remarkable, with high quality drops and lots of dungeon features including herbs, shops, pools and vaults. Worth exploring.

Maul
05-08-2008, 06:52 PM
The Dusty Dungeon is also misnamed: It's quite clean. (After spending 10 minutes down there with a nice wizard, anyways)

On a relevant note: RUNNING AWAY IS AN OPTION. TAKE IT WHEN NEEDED. (Maybe I should consider taking my own advice sometime.)

Kato
05-08-2008, 06:57 PM
On a relevant note: RUNNING AWAY IS AN OPTION. TAKE IT WHEN NEEDED. (Maybe I should consider taking my own advice sometime.)Yeah...I need to do that sometimes too. I just had a lvl 16 female, dark elf paladin die to an ogre in the ogre cave...got careless and that ogre scored a crit hit on me. Didn't think he would do it again....oops. Time to reroll. ehehe