PDA

View Full Version : Race-specific classes

fazisi
10-08-2009, 03:30 AM
One specific class that only one race type could choose. For example,

Human - Too generic for me to think of something. Force them all to roll Bard I guess.
Troll - Berserker (can only use Aggressive tactics but gets huge regen bonuses)
High Elf - White Hunter (gets bonuses to killing non-lawfuls)
Grey Elf - Grey Hunter (gets bonuses to killing non-neutrals)
Dark Elf - Black Hunter (gets bonuses to killing non-chaotics)
Dwarf - Guardian (can only use Defensive tactics but gets huge DV/PV bonuses)
Gnome - Alchemist (expanded recipe list and poison/disease class abilities)
Hurthling - Can't think of one for this, most of my hurthlings just die haha... I dunno, make them start with a ring of invisibility and get wraiths to chase them around all game whenever they wear it. There is no way you could sued for that one.
Orc - Scorcher (don't know what their abilities are, but I always thought Scorcher sounded damn cool)
Drakeling - Dragonkin (gets a skin color related resistance which turns into an immunity at level 25, specific breath attack, some other shit)

I never really thought this all through but I wanted to get the idea out there for other comments.
________
Uggs (http://uggstoreshop.com/)

DumbleDoor
10-10-2009, 08:28 PM
These should be considered "special abilities" not classes. Anyway, I think the same thing for classes would be a good idea.
Archer: Get's 10x more arrows/quarrels/slingbullets/rocks and 2x more slings, xbows, bows
Weaponsmith: Get's 2x more ingots, 2x more weapons and armor, 2x more prefix/suffix
Priest: Gets piety 2x faster, starts with more piety, prayers cost 1/2, piety=more damage,5x more healing books, 3x more other books
Paladin: Gets piety 2x faster, starts with more piety, prayers cost 1/2, 2x more books, gets more damage to opposite alignment?
Bard: Finds 2x more all items, finds more items with weird stats
Druid: Can choose to evade wilderness encounters, 2x PP and HP regen in the wilderness, finds 2x more books

These are just a few and very unbalanced :)

JellySlayer
10-10-2009, 09:03 PM
These should be considered "special abilities" not classes. Anyway, I think the same thing for classes would be a good idea.
Archer: Get's 10x more arrows/quarrels/slingbullets/rocks and 2x more slings, xbows, bows
Weaponsmith: Get's 2x more ingots, 2x more weapons and armor, 2x more prefix/suffix
Priest: Gets piety 2x faster, starts with more piety, prayers cost 1/2, piety=more damage,5x more healing books, 3x more other books
Paladin: Gets piety 2x faster, starts with more piety, prayers cost 1/2, 2x more books, gets more damage to opposite alignment?
Bard: Finds 2x more all items, finds more items with weird stats
Druid: Can choose to evade wilderness encounters, 2x PP and HP regen in the wilderness, finds 2x more books

These are just a few and very unbalanced :)

Many of these effects already exist. All casters get many more books than non-casters. I don't know if it has actually been tested empirically, but conventional wisdom is that necros, priests, wizards, druids get 10x more books than normal and paladins get 2.5x more books. Certainly, these classes all find many more books than other PCs, even if those particular numbers aren't exact. Bards are believed to find more items overall. Archers may find more arrows, but even if they don't they get many more arrows thanks to fletchery. Paladins have reduced prayer costs. Druids get all of the abilities you mention through class powers.

Al-Khwarizmi
10-13-2009, 12:59 PM
I have always thought that spellcasting classes finding more books than other classes is one of ADOM's worst features. It would be funnier if items were generated equally for all classes, and then, you do with them what you can according to your class. If you are a barbarian and find lots of spellbooks that are useless to you, sell them, or just use them to make fire, as a real barbarian would do. Or if you are playing a curious barbarian, try to overcome your limitations and read them even if you don't manage much. But I don't see why the game should throw less books at you.

DumbleDoor
10-13-2009, 08:17 PM
I know! Spellcasters get MUCH more castings from books, because they are so experienced with it? And all classes should find books about 5 times as much as normal... I rarely find books with non caster classes.

Petra
12-01-2009, 03:54 AM
What is RNG?

Dudley
12-01-2009, 04:41 AM
Random number generator. or RN god :p

Evil Knievel
12-01-2009, 10:24 PM

can only have chaotic or lawful alignment (or neutral line gets really really thin and hard to maintain)?

sangfroid
12-06-2009, 03:01 PM
Well, I don't know whether anybody has mentioned this before but I always find certain race class combinations obnoxious. eg. High Elven Beastfighter or Trollish wizard.
Of course such combinations are significantly handicapped but I think that race specific classes may be better.

And I would like to know what you guys think about Elementalists. I fail to understand what they exactly are. Maybe they could be replaced by Alchemists, since the game involves recipes and chemistry stuff.

ancient karmic drake
12-15-2009, 08:29 PM
Gnomes and humans can be engineers. They'd get a "carpentry" skill, which would replace "bridge building". This skill would allow you make doors, walls, and bridges, as well as the smithing skill, and whatnot. basically, if it makes or improves stuff, they can do it.

psy_wombats
12-17-2009, 05:45 AM
I like the idea of race-specific stuff, just to make the races play differently, but I think these would be much better implemented through race abilities, which already exist (to an extent). Some of these classes sound excellent, but there's no need to restrict them. For instance, what if all Drakelings had the skin resistance? Elves always get their boosts? Or better yet, a skill specific to that race. Humans - Engineering, etc.

fazisi
12-18-2009, 01:12 AM
I didn't put all that much thought into the original post but the basic idea of it was I want to see a distinct line of difference between races rather than a few skills, age limits and starting stats.

Deinos
06-23-2010, 09:47 PM
It'd be really nice to finally see a game in which humans are distinct in some way. Its ironic that almost all RPGs are based off D&D, but AD&D was pretty much the last RPG to make humans wildly distinct from the other races.

Adom
06-26-2010, 03:22 PM
Grey Slayers kill Grey.